• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAF Coaching Carousel

Penn State has several billionaire boosters who could come up with enough money to get Saban but in a post Sandusky world they can't risk looking like they have a "football culture problem." Still, $4m/year is enough to get Franklin.

Scholarship restrictions got reduced and bowl ban was reduced a year. I'd be surprised if they were bowl eligible next year anyway. I'm willing to bet the NCAA will drop everything by this time next year but still they were playing with 61 schollies this year and still beat Michigan and Wisconsin.

According to Schefter & Mortensen (ESPN), Bill O'Brien is currently the "overwhelming favorite" to land the Texans gig.

Bill O'Brien is one of the few big names who I actually think could do well at the University of Texas

Ironic if he ends up in Houston

Last edited:
O'Brien to the Texans. Interesting. O'Brien definitively played Penn State as did his trust fund agent.

So Caturday is the self-hating nasally NJ guy I always suspected. Bro, Penn State isn't a Top 10 job anymore. Neither is Michigan. Or Nebraska. Ohio State barely is. There is a reason the Buckeyes won 24 games a row and they would of been a 10 point underdog to Florida State, who has played nobody.

Midwest football is on a serious decline. Accept it.

So Caturday is the self-hating nasally NJ guy I always suspected. Bro, Penn State isn't a Top 10 job anymore. Neither is Michigan. Or Nebraska. Ohio State barely is. There is a reason the Buckeyes won 24 games a row and they would of been a 10 point underdog to Florida State, who has played nobody.

Ohio State is still a top 10 job.

It was frustrating in Maryland's bowl game when the announcers kept saying Maryland was stepping up to a tougher football conference

Ohio St is easily a top 10 job, do you realize how good the HS talent is in that state (and with no other AQ state school around)?

I could see golden going to PSU but he sucks. If Franklin doesn't go to Texas he should wait a year for UF

I could see golden going to PSU but he sucks. If Franklin doesn't go to Texas he should wait a year for UF

Would be good for the ACC if he did. Assuming Miami made a good hire.

It was frustrating in Maryland's bowl game when the announcers kept saying Maryland was stepping up to a tougher football conference

Maryland leaving the ACC, makes the ACC a tougher football conference. They should say that.

No. PSU is debatable. Maybe even Nebraska. Michigan and tOSU are easily top 10 jobs.

The Big 10 has sucked for awhile. Minnesota is a bad football team, and managed to slime out an 8-4 record this year due to the lack of Big 10 quality teams. You can say that Michigan is "easily" a top 10 job because of the huge following and the tradition, but they have not played like a top 10 program for a long time. At some point, you have to get it done on the field to keep your status as an elite program, and outside of Ohio State (and what was their last quality OOC win?), the Big 10 really lacked high-end college football. Focusing on the on-the field performance, Wisconsin has been the #2 Big 10 program for quite a while, and Wisconsin is not a top 10 program. The problem for the Big 10 is that the midwest simply lacks the sheer number of high quality athletes that are found in the South, Texas and California (or even in VA/NC/SC), and Big 10 teams will never consistently beat SEC teams or FSU/Miami for talent in the South, Texas, OK, Ok State and others for talent in Texas, and the Pac 10 teams for talent in the West.

When Michigan and Ohio State reigned over college football, Ohio and Michigan were prosperous states with big population edges over the the South and West. That has changed, population growth has shifted away from the midwest to the south and west (just take a look at Detroit and Cleveland now as compared to 20 to 30 years ago). It's a different US these days, and the talent is not coming back to Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania any time soon.

Last edited:
PSU should be back shortly after the scholarship restrictions end. They have very little competition for three states worth of players: Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. "Child molester" old fired/retired coach isn't going to be big on 17-18 year old minds. PSU pretty much gets the kids they want out of those three states. I don't see the conference realignments for Rutgers, Pitt and Syracuse changing that.

If Bill O'Brien stays at PSU and continues to rebuild the program, he will become legendary. Took the program at its lowest point in 50+ years and rebuilt it into respectability "the right way." As noted above, lots of money will be available, and facilities will be top notch. Right now he has to be very selective in who he offers, but see above, he has been signing some very, very good prospects. More 'ships, more of those kids will come to PSU. Happy Valley will fill back up. PSU will continue to be at least a top 20 job, and could easily be a top ten job.

As passing (and spread running) has become more prevalent and successful in college football elite player profiles have gradually shifted to speed/athleticism away from size/power. No doubt this hurts the midwest schools.

As passing (and spread running) has become more prevalent and successful in college football elite player profiles have gradually shifted to speed/athleticism away from size/power. No doubt this hurts the midwest schools.

Yet there are plenty of examples getting it done with hog mollies mainly Stanford and Bama.

Yet there are plenty of examples getting it done with hog mollies mainly Stanford and Bama.

You can still win with a big team/power game. And plenty of Big 10 schools are great programs and can succeed.

My comment is still correct though.

Back