• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Super Bowl Week !

Lynch just doesn't think the media serves any purpose. Whether they exist or don't exist, people are going to watch football on Sundays.

"I'm just about that action, boss." is a quote to live by.

Who cares if football players and coaches are "professional?" (Outside the corporate suits raking in the NFL cash, obviously.) I mean, it's a game meant for children to crack their skulls against other children's skulls, not a Fortune 500 company boardroom.

exactly

it's kind of silly to watch grown men play a freaking game in the first place, so enough with all the "this is serious, this is the National Football League" nonsense.

Media are a bunch of spoiled entitled asshats for the most part.

WAHHHHHHH THEY WON'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS111

Sack up.

This. Media just has the platform to tell us all that it's important for players to do their job for them or else they're big meanies.

Media would argue that w/out their stories and coverage, the NFL that Lynch is a part of wouldn't be nearly as successful and therefore he owes them 5 mins of answering questions like a human.

If the worst thing you've gotta do in your job is answer some questions, then you've gotta re-evaluate your priorities in making a childish stand.

Media would argue that w/out their stories and coverage, the NFL that Lynch is a part of wouldn't be nearly as successful and therefore he owes them 5 mins of answering questions like a human.

If the worst thing you've gotta do in your job is answer some questions, then you've gotta re-evaluate your priorities in making a childish stand.
Yes it would. OK, maybe they'd lose like 5% of their audience, tops.

I seem to remember this same discussion from like 12 months ago.

The league requires that players make themselves available to the media, but does nothing when the media take quotes out of context, try to bait players into controversial statements, outright lie, or otherwise abuse the privilege of their access to players. I imagine that's a major source of at least some of the resentment Lynch and others feel.

Potential lifelong brain trauma is probably slightly worse, even for someone with a possible minor social anxiety disorder like Beast Mode

Who cares if football players and coaches are "professional?" (Outside the corporate suits raking in the NFL cash, obviously.) I mean, it's a game meant for children to crack their skulls against other children's skulls, not a Fortune 500 company boardroom.

I'm pretty sure being professional for a football player should mean holding your blocks, completing your passes, etc.

The sub-headline: Coach’s explanation for underinflated footballs finds local supporters

Yeah, I'll stick with Neil DeGrasse Tyson on this one

ETA: Facebook update from Mr. Tyson!

Monday, January 27, 2015

Having resisted for a week, yesterday I posted a tweet weighing in on DeflateGate - the accusation that the New England Patriots, in their trouncing of the Indianapolis Colts, slightly deflated their contributed game balls.

Here is the tweet:
"For the Patriots to blame a change in temperature for 15% lower-pressures, requires balls to be inflated with 125-degree air."

My calculation used the well-known gas formula that relates pressure to temperature within a fixed volume. Quite simply, the two quantities are directly and linearly related. e.g. Halve the temperature, you've halved the pressure. Triple the temperature, you've tripled the pressure.

Shortly afterwards, many of my physics-fluent twitter followers, as well as others in the blogosphere, were quick to point out that in my calculation I neglected to account for the fact that the football pressures were "gauge" pressures (as would be the pressures measured in any ball on Earth) rather than "absolute" pressures. And the calculation that I performed applies only to absolute pressures -- which reference the case where the football pressure is measured in the vacuum of space, without the effects of atmospheric pressure on the measurement. Using the (correct) gauge pressure in the calculation reduces the needed inflation temperature to about 90-degrees for that effect.

This is simply an oversight on my part, and I'm glad so many stepped forward to correct it. But what it means is that the Patriots would simply need to have inflated the balls with (more accessible) 90 degree air rather than 125 degree air. A delightfully moot point since neither temperature absolves the NE Patriots even as we all know that the NE Patriots, in their 45 to 7 victory over the Colts, would have won the game no matter the ball pressure. And, as far as I am concerned, the Patriots would have won that game even in the vacuum of space.

As Always, Keep Looking up.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson, Chicago

Last edited:
I had forgotten how poorly written that fumbles article was. That's some amateur hour shit right there.

I like to consider a world where the best case scenario is they deliberately found ~90 degree air to pump into the balls, and the worst case scenario is where a guy stuck a needle in each one for a few seconds as he flushed the toilet vigorously to cover up any sounds.

Just curious, what is the pro-Patriot explanation for why the Colts' footballs were properly inflated, and the Pats weren't?

Back