• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama shakes Raul Castro's hand- Right lost their minds and their hearing

If ELC hadn't become a hack his reaction to this would just be "meh"

Shaking someone's hand is meh. The first black president (sorry Saneff) Laughing it up and taking selfies at Nelson mandelas funeral is poor form in my opinion. Michelle seems to agree somewhat. Obama doesn't make too many political gaffes like that. Pretty dumbstruck he would get caught doing that. Amateur hour by all three of the worlds leaders. They aren't at a sorority function.

Absolute and total crap..as usual.

Saying this was a "calculated move" is beyond any amount of insanity that only TP wackos and Faux News loons can invent.

Sure, them and David Gergen - who worked for four President and teaches government at Harvard. But what does he know that you, in your infinite and always faulty wisdom, have not already proclaimed to be so?

What is DeacMan going on about?

It's a funeral. Plenty of enemies have put aside their differences at a funeral for a mutual loved one.

I had no idea Raul Castro or Barack Obama knew, much less, loved Nelson Mandela. Never mind that Obama is the most recognized political leader on earth and knows that every gesture he makes in public will be analyzed nine ways to Sunday. That handshake was a lot more than a handshake. It was a signal that we may attempt to thaw our chilly relations with Cuba. Whether that is a good idea and on what terms it would occur are all rather large issues now waiting to be discussed.

I had no idea Raul Castro or Barack Obama knew, much less, loved Nelson Mandela. Never mind that Obama is the most recognized political leader on earth and knows that every gesture he makes in public will be analyzed nine ways to Sunday. That handshake was a lot more than a handshake. It was a signal that we may attempt to thaw our chilly relations with Cuba. Whether that is a good idea and on what terms it would occur are all rather large issues now waiting to be discussed.

Is that bad?

Shaking someone's hand is meh. The first black president (sorry Saneff) Laughing it up and taking selfies at Nelson mandelas funeral is poor form in my opinion. Michelle seems to agree somewhat. Obama doesn't make too many political gaffes like that. Pretty dumbstruck he would get caught doing that. Amateur hour by all three of the worlds leaders. They aren't at a sorority function.

I agree with this.

You've never shared a laugh with someone at a memorial service?

Is that bad?

I guess that depends on the terms by which it is done. Cuba is a sworn enemy of the U.S. Their human rights record is atrocious. That doesn't mean it all has to stay that way. So you don't open up to them just for the sake of opening up. And I would doubt that would be the manner in which we'd behave. But don't pretend that was just a simple handshake as RJ has proclaimed. It was more than simple. The President knows damn well when he shakes Castro's hand that the entire world is watching.

ChickenLittle.jpg

Honestly, I can't recall. But then again, I'm not the most powerful political leader (or is that the second most powerful these days) on earth. Not a huge gaffe, but also not appropriate decorum.

Please tell me number 1 is this guy:

kim-jong-un-23.jpg

I guess that depends on the terms by which it is done. Cuba is a sworn enemy of the U.S. Their human rights record is atrocious. That doesn't mean it all has to stay that way. So you don't open up to them just for the sake of opening up. And I would doubt that would be the manner in which we'd behave. But don't pretend that was just a simple handshake as RJ has proclaimed. It was more than simple. The President knows damn well when he shakes Castro's hand that the entire world is watching.

lol sworn enemy

no girls allowed in the clubhouse, guise1!1

Honestly, I can't recall. But then again, I'm not the most powerful political leader (or is that the second most powerful these days) on earth. Not a huge gaffe, but also not appropriate decorum.

Shouldn't appropriate decorum be dictated by other people at the event instead of history?

As far as the handshake, Cuba is far from perfect. It suffers from massive corruption. And the desire by some who had been oppressed for vengeance still lingers. For Obama to take power, resist the urges of many around him, shake Castro's hand and hopefully forge a peaceful path forward was amazing.

If ELC hadn't become a hack his reaction to this would just be "meh"

I figured you'd be more concerned with solving your beard's credit issues.

I like how I'm a hack but all you are such level-headed fellows. I agreed with DeacMan on his assessment that it was either (1) planned, or (2) should have been accounted for. Either way it was a calculated maneuver. Not like Obama really gives a shit at this point. He's a lame duck. But he most certainly knew what he was doing, and the reactions from the left and right are equally kneejerk. I don't think he should've done it, but I don't have much of a dog in that fight. I'm more offended by his amateur hour selfie moment.

As far as the handshake, Cuba is far from perfect. It suffers from massive corruption. And the desire by some who had been oppressed for vengeance still lingers. For Obama to take power, resist the urges of many around him, shake Castro's hand and hopefully forge a peaceful path forward was amazing.

Do they not drug test you for your job?

You're missing the reference.

Back