• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama shakes Raul Castro's hand- Right lost their minds and their hearing

the way the nothing to see here/mountain out of a molehill dichotomy works in american media and politics is so annoying

And so we learn today that the handshake was most likely planned, even though somebody was reamed for suggesting as much. We also learned that many etiquette police thought it was not the most appropriate time for a selfie (or whatever we wish to call it).

Ah, but apparently those of us who expect a certain amount of awareness from our President are just shills who expect too much.

Nobody here ever said it was the end of the world. We simply expect a bit better.

If the President wants to do back channel negotiations with Castro, that's one thing. A handshake is a middle finger to Cuban Americans and he knows as much but doesn't care since they aren't in his voting demographic. That's a tactical political decision. Not a big deal to you or me, but not something to dismiss as Mandela like or some BS, unless of course you want to compare it to mandela's fondness for commie revolutionaries.

The photo was just tacky for all involved. Typical behavior by politicians who live in their own world and a world increasingly defined by me, myself and I.

On the list of Things Obama Has Done To Bitch About, both are extremely low on the totem pole. That doesn't mean that pointing them out or taking offense to them is without merit.

----------
Tapatalk.

Jesushmotherfuckingchrist

Wait doesn't elc normally bitch about anyone taking offense to anything? But he's okay with people taking offense to a handshake or a selfie in a loud, raucous stadium?

Since when does ELC give a fuck about Latinos?

I said rather clearly that "I don't have much of a dog in that fight" when it comes to the Castro thing. Don't think he should've done it, but am not outraged that he did. I can certainly see why Rubio and Cruz are. This is Castro's brother after all and not some new generation detached from the sins of Fidel.

----------
Tapatalk.

Wait doesn't elc normally bitch about anyone taking offense to anything? But he's okay with people taking offense to a handshake or a selfie in a loud, raucous stadium?

Don't you have an India high court decision to start a thread about?

This thread is mostly about people taking offense at others taking offense. I'm not the one taking offense by pointing out that others have a point to expect better. I've made it clear that I'm pretty meh about the whole thing.

----------
Tapatalk.

Jesus Christ, there are so many better things to bitch about with regards to Obama. I can show you a photo of W kissing a Saudi king, I can show you a photo of Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam, I can show you a photo of McCain shaking hands with Khadafi. Who cares?

the right can't fucking stand the fact that we have a celebrity president with whom world leaders want to take selfies

they're also terrified of communists...still apparently

Don't you have an India high court decision to start a thread about?

This thread is mostly about people taking offense at others taking offense. I'm not the one taking offense by pointing out that others have a point to expect better. I've made it clear that I'm pretty meh about the whole thing.

----------
Tapatalk.

"it's okay to be offended by a handshake or a selfie, but if any of you liberals complain about anything you are just whiners."

Why would you expect "better?" Where do you get this expectation, and what is better exactly?

Also ELC, you typed out a 224 word post on your fucking phone. That screams anything but "I'm pretty meh about the whole thing"

Reactions: ONW
The embargo is the #1, #2, #3, #4 through at least #1000 reason why the Castros are still in charge. Other than the Iraq and Viet Nam Wars, it's the worst foreign policy mistake of the past 50+ years.

On the handshake: I hope he wiped it off immediately.

On the picture-taking and the joviality: try to imagine the reaction if Bush had done it.

this thread is #1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 reasons why this country is fucked. A supposed "rational" board about politics has the most active thread about Obama shaking hands with some Cuban guy. Meanwhile, we have a budget deal being negotiated that will continue to kick the can down the road, we have a healthcare law that is in complete meltdown (336k signed up, but only ~15% have paid for their ins because that part of the website is not yet functional), a completely dysfunctional middle east policy, no real immigration reform being done, an AG who is giving payouts to the remnants of Acorn instead of prosecuting Wall St criminals, The NSA is completely out of contro, and crony capitalism run amok; and this BS is the most active thread.

I am tempted to move to Uraguay!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-25328656

From the photographer who caught the picture of the leaders taking the selfie:

I captured the scene reflexively. All around me in the stadium, South Africans were dancing, singing and laughing to honour their departed leader. It was more like a carnival atmosphere, not at all morbid. The ceremony had already gone on for two hours and would last another two. The atmosphere was totally relaxed – I didn’t see anything shocking in my viewfinder, president of the US or not. ...

I took these photos totally spontaneously, without thinking about what impact they might have. At the time, I thought the world leaders were simply acting like human beings, like me and you. I doubt anyone could have remained totally stony faced for the duration of the ceremony, while tens of thousands of people were celebrating in the stadium. For me, the behaviour of these leaders in snapping a selfie seems perfectly natural. I see nothing to complain about, and probably would have done the same in their place. The AFP team worked hard to display the reaction that South African people had for the passing of someone they consider as a father. We moved about 500 pictures, trying to portray their true feelings, and this seemingly trivial image seems to have eclipsed much of this collective work. ..

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...story_of_obama_selfie_pic_which_he_calls.html

Context makes much more sense. No one had posted that before. Based on Michelle's grim appearance I would not have guessed it was a carnival. Michelle must have really been pissed Obama was hamming it up with the cute PM beside him. But definitely retract previous comments. Context is everything. Was not privy to that information, so thanks for sharing.

this thread is #1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 reasons why this country is fucked. A supposed "rational" board about politics has the most active thread about Obama shaking hands with some Cuban guy. Meanwhile, we have a budget deal being negotiated that will continue to kick the can down the road, we have a healthcare law that is in complete meltdown (336k signed up, but only ~15% have paid for their ins because that part of the website is not yet functional), a completely dysfunctional middle east policy, no real immigration reform being done, an AG who is giving payouts to the remnants of Acorn instead of prosecuting Wall St criminals, The NSA is completely out of contro, and crony capitalism run amok; and this BS is the most active thread.

Hippie

also, it was revealed today that Go doesn't know how to spell "coach"

Back