• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

If he's a violent dude, filing a suit won't change that. It just publicizes that fact. The whole point of filing civil suits for money damages (as opposed to injunctive relief) is to obtain said money damages. Getting a paper judgment against someone who is not employed does not accomplish that.
Publicizing that a dude is violent should make it less likely he hurts others.

Light afternoon, so took some time to look for tickets to Saturday's game at Rutgers. While doing some reading, I inevitably see all the garbage about pay for play, football obsession, and the (lack of a) future for this sport and am teetering on finding something else to do with a couple hundred bucks. Ugh this is such a disgraceful mess. I honestly don't think caring about college sports is reasonable at the moment given the current hellscape, but in the event that I am able to look past the bullshit and just focus on 40 minutes of a sport I love and not the issues that actually matter, I think Rutgers is a tough matchup for us but not a team we can't beat. They have good length 1-5. Their starting center that plays around 28 minutes a game offers very little in terms of an outside shot, but is still more nimble than Marsh or Bradford, and too powerful for Carr to guard. If Marsh can play 25ish minutes and guard him well while running the high pick and roll with Appleby effectively, we will once again have a chance to win. We just need to not shoot atrociously from the perimeter. Monsanto has been downright terrible so far this season and that needs to change. Carr has been really disappointing too but hopefully they both come into their own. There really aren't very many teams without holes due to the very hellscape I referred to earlier, so having major holes like we do doesn't rule us out from getting good wins.

NEW: The Statesman has obtained Chris Beard's arrest affidavit. A woman told police Beard "choked me, threw me off the bed, bit me, bruises all over my leg, throwing me around, and going nuts." She said the choking lasted for five seconds and impeded her breathing, police say.

Thread​

See new Tweets

Conversation​

Ryan Autullo

@AutulloAAS
·
49m

NEW: The Statesman has obtained Chris Beard's arrest affidavit. A woman told police Beard "choked me, threw me off the bed, bit me, bruises all over my leg, throwing me around, and going nuts." She said the choking lasted for five seconds and impeded her breathing, police say.

Ryan Autullo

@AutulloAAS

Chris Beard told police that he has audio recordings showing he was not the primary aggressor. He was asked if he would be willing to share those audio recordings to which he said no.

Creighton loses again. 5 straight. Man were they overhyped

Chris Beard told police that he has audio recordings showing he was not the primary aggressor. He was asked if he would be willing to share those audio recordings to which he said no.
Woof

I like many of you have doubts he will be fired unless more comes out. Mostly because it is UT and he makes them lots of money and has a top 5 team. I wish that were not the case. But we are talking about a school who recently had a neighborhood child attacked by the monkey of a football assistant's hooker girlfriend. So yeah....

Will see if UT uses this:

"Beard’s contract includes a provision under which he can be fired for cause for conduct the administration reasonably determines reflects poorly on the coach, program, school or university system. That includes being charged with a felony."

That being said they currently have a freshman who is facing similar charges who is still playing despite those charges

Kind of a weird police report. Maybe a bit of a volatile relationship. She broke his glasses intentionally, then he stewed about it for several minutes and went bonkers. And now his lawyer says even she doesn't want to pursue the case? So thankful for the small things in my life, like relative sanity.

Very unfortunate, and to echo the sentiments above, she is his fiance so if she leaves him (or he leaves her) she isn't receiving anything from him the way she might in a divorce. And it's not up to her whether he is prosecuted, but it's basically impossible for the State to get a verdict against him when the alleged victim will not testify as to what happened and he cannot be compelled to testify. You'd basically just have the arresting officer who cannot testify as to anything the non-testifying victim said, so essentially no evidence.

Kind of a weird police report. Maybe a bit of a volatile relationship. She broke his glasses intentionally, then he stewed about it for several minutes and went bonkers. And now his lawyer says even she doesn't want to pursue the case? So thankful for the small things in my life, like relative sanity.
It does seem that she went bonkers first, but he went above and beyond in his aggression towards her

And I agree with a lot of others here that if you are willing to call the cops in order to feel safe, then a desire to not pursue the case later seems to scream "oh shit my money and lifestyle are about to be gone" (especially since they are engaged and not married). Maybe thats cynical, but if you are gonna call the cops (which she should have) then I find it hard to believe then the backtracking now seems off

It does seem that she went bonkers first, but he went above and beyond in his aggression towards her

And I agree with a lot of others here that if you are willing to call the cops in order to feel safe, then a desire to not pursue the case later seems to scream "oh shit my money and lifestyle are about to be gone" (especially since they are engaged and not married). Maybe thats cynical, but if you are gonna call the cops (which she should have) then I find it hard to believe then the backtracking now seems off
This is not your average abuse case. Most dudes don't have the ability to pay the victim 6 figures to make the problem go away. As a victim, you call the police in the moment because you are scared shitless. And you'd be surprised how many victims later decide not to pursue criminal charges, whether they stay with the abuser or not, for a multitude of different reasons. I know that cops and prosecutors get frustrated when this happens, but it's still a valuable public service that the police are providing in these situations by diffusing the situation and getting the victim to a safer place.

Maybe she wants to give him another chance, doesn't want to go through the process, doesn't want him to go to jail, etc.

Seems like a product of a board that's 99.5% dudes to go straight to "bitch wants his money."

Will see if UT uses this:

"Beard’s contract includes a provision under which he can be fired for cause for conduct the administration reasonably determines reflects poorly on the coach, program, school or university system. That includes being charged with a felony."

That being said they currently have a freshman who is facing similar charges who is still playing despite those charges

uh yeah. they will use that.

If the case goes forward and Beard is convicted, Texas will get out of the contract. The more likely result will be that the case is not ultimately prosecuted, and then, Beard and Texas will negotiate a reduced buy-out. It's no party's interest (other than the attorneys) for discovery and public trial focusing on Beard's personal life. Beard pissed away his dream job and the opportunity to build a college hoop power. Maybe, he should've just bought a few extra pairs of glasses.

Maybe she wants to give him another chance, doesn't want to go through the process, doesn't want him to go to jail, etc.

Seems like a product of a board that's 99.5% dudes to go straight to "bitch wants his money."
I think it's more "the financial circumstances make this even more unfortunate because it's probably harder for her to get away."

I think it's more "the financial circumstances make this even more unfortunate because it's probably harder for her to get away."
Yeah, I probably didn’t communicate this well. I don’t think she is some money grubber. I just think the circumstances around this make it harder.

But Ph you are right that there are multiple reasons she could not want to pursue charges or reasons she might not want him jailed

I think I was just reacting to Beards crappy statements and his lawyers, which was pretty gross

Back