• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2022-23 College Basketball Thread: UCONN - One Shining Moment

Ty Appleby 2K Watch

Tyree Appleby now has 1839 career points.

Averaging ~18/game right now.

That puts him at 2000 points in about 9 games... Which would be the home game vs. GT on February 11th.

He got it in the UNC game and I didn't even notice.

Huzzah!

Who is Kenny Payne? I mean you have a rich 50-60 year history, and you turn to him?

Payne was an assistant coach at Kentucky from 2010-2020. He was creditted for being the primary recruiter for Calipari and a major reason Kentucky was able to put together so many top recruiting classes. He spent two years as an assistant for the Knicks prior to taking the Louisville job. He played fot UL from 1985 to 1989.

Miami is going to be a problem on Saturday. I don't think we matchup well with them at all either. They play hard, can shoot the 3, and have Norchad inside.

Going to take a lot to come out of Coral Gables with a W. Hopefully they are thinking too much of themselves after a 5 game winning streak and we can possibly jump on them early.

Miami is going to be a problem on Saturday. I don't think we matchup well with them at all either. They play hard, can shoot the 3, and have Norchad inside.

Going to take a lot to come out of Coral Gables with a W. Hopefully they are thinking too much of themselves after a 5 game winning streak and we can possibly jump on them early.

I think Miami is very, very good. They have 3 excellent players and some very talented role players that can score when needed.

But looking at their home results this year, they haven't really blown anybody out (other than Duke).

I think it'll be a close game... I think we'll play well and with a lot of energy, and they may come out a little flat. Not expecting a win, but I am expecting an outcome that is in doubt until very near the end of the game.

The only thing that gives me hope about Miami is that they profile pretty similarly to us. Outstanding offensive efficiency and defense is optional. It's a game that we will need our 'A' game for at least 35 of the 40 minutes and I can't remember us doing that once this season, certainly not against any of the good teams we've played. Hopefully, the shots are falling for us. If not... woof.

Conventional wisdom is that we should be rooting for Duke (ugh) so that we can get a Quad 1 win back.

But what do folks think about Wisconsin? Would it be better for them to play well, taking a tournament seed, but getting us a Quad 1 win? Or would it be better for them to collapse, keeping them in Quad 2, but also eliminating them from the field?

Obviously taking care of our own games is most important, but we’ll need some help (in whatever capacity that means) in order to have a shot.

Duke plays ND, @Syracuse, Louisville, VT, NCSU, and @UNC... I'd like Duke to win all of those games and get back to a Quad 1. Duke is getting into the NCAAs regardless, so I don't see much to be gained from them sucking. I do, however, want them to beat the shit out of UNC in that finale and hopefully end UNC's chances of an at-large bid and any Q1 victories.

Definitely rooting for Wisconsin... Shouldn't take much for them to get back to Top 75 in NET. They have 4 home games left, all against decent opponents... If they can win 2-3 of those, they'll be back to a Q1 for us. Yeah, they are also a competitor, but I'm still more focused on Wake Forest winning basketball games than what others do. Run the table in the regular season (we won't) and we should have a strong enough resume to get in, regardless of others.

Duke plays ND, @Syracuse, Louisville, VT, NCSU, and @UNC... I'd like Duke to win all of those games and get back to a Quad 1. Duke is getting into the NCAAs regardless, so I don't see much to be gained from them sucking. I do, however, want them to beat the shit out of UNC in that finale and hopefully end UNC's chances of an at-large bid and any Q1 victories.

Definitely rooting for Wisconsin... Shouldn't take much for them to get back to Top 75 in NET. They have 4 home games left, all against decent opponents... If they can win 2-3 of those, they'll be back to a Q1 for us. Yeah, they are also a competitor, but I'm still more focused on Wake Forest winning basketball games than what others do. Run the table in the regular season (we won't) and we should have a strong enough resume to get in, regardless of others.
Run the table and we're 100% in. 4-1 and we are probably in. Agreed that Duke and/or Wisconsin returning to Q1 status would be huge for us as much as I enjoy rooting against Duke and the B10.

Definitely On Wisconsin for me.

Miami's defense isn't terrible in conference play. They don't foul, which is important since Ty (and therefore WF) is elite at creating fouls. Miami is not a great defensive rebounding team, but O rebounding is not a strength of ours. Omier is one of the best Offensive rebounders in the country and the best in the ACC (better than Bacot). Critical to try to keep him off the offensive glass.

Thanks to Mr. Katz we are showing on the Bracket Matrix site with a single entry: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
At some point in time in his youth, Mr. Katz must have had a mind blowing encounter with someone on the Wake Forest campus. It's the only explanation for his continued unwavering support.

Definitely On Wisconsin for me.

Miami's defense isn't terrible in conference play. They don't foul, which is important since Ty (and therefore WF) is elite at creating fouls. Miami is not a great defensive rebounding team, but O rebounding is not a strength of ours. Omier is one of the best Offensive rebounders in the country and the best in the ACC (better than Bacot). Critical to try to keep him off the offensive glass.
Omier worries me. We know their guards will get theirs and we can survive that, but if we are dominated inside like we were by State at home it will be a long day.

Omier and Miller are nothing like Burns - the bigger concern/comp would be a repeat of what Ja'von Franklin did to us Saturday.

Andy Katz is also a Wisconsin alum, and I would imagine if he wasn't in the house for WF's win there, he was following it.

If we beat Miami, it is because Monsanto goes off. 60% from three on high-volume. GT was the worst game I've seen him play since early in the season, not just shooting but some sloppy passes. Also random observation - he was a pretty good rebounder last season. I remember a couple games last season where he had serious bounce, and I don't see that as much this season. Which seems strange, since he also lost a lot of weight.

I don't see any other path to victory, cause we are not going to be able to stop the Canes.

Omier worries me. We know their guards will get theirs and we can survive that, but if we are dominated inside like we were by State at home it will be a long day.
Don't think going small against him is going to work as Carr isn't physical enough (especially with the hand injury). Hope they go Marsh/Bradford on him and see what happens.

Back