• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

20, your post was pretty donkish

I can see that, but I have spoken with some people (some on the board, some off) who agree that Shaka to Wake is dead. The posters can out themselves if they want, but it's a common theme and I hate to think people will keep hope for another few days when it's been dead since VT originally told us.

VT came back this weekend to say that it's possible he misinterpreted his original intel.

I think that we should officially institute a NEGREP policy for anyone that mentions He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

the problem with "he-who-must-not-be-named" is that he should NOT get a pass. he should not fade in to irrelevancy. he should be remembered for destroying the program. ron wellman should cringe everytime he hears his name. if ron pulls shaka he does not get a pass on the last 4 years. i was nearly ready to move on from the all consuming ron hate until that disaster of a press conference. the one where he looked like he had been forced to accept the "resignation" of his hand picked basketball genius. he tried everything he could to keep bzz around. not because he did not see every terrible thing that was happening. he wanted to be proven right. no matter how long that took and how much damage was done.

no, dropping bzz's name lets ron and bzz off the hook for their destruction of a once proud program.

i hope ronnie gets a good one. and i am cautiously optimistic something good happens soon.

things are looking up.

I can see that, but I have spoken with some people (some on the board, some off) who agree that Shaka to Wake is dead. The posters can out themselves if they want, but it's a common theme and I hate to think people will keep hope for another few days when it's been dead since VT originally told us.

super negativity

If someone has some sort of VT-esque intel that Shaka did indeed turn us down, I would think it's in the school's best interest to let the boards know. Not sure why you'd want to let this runaway speculation persist. It's a bad look.

Didn't someone last night predict we would have news by post 9,500? Swing and a miss.

Four posters, actually. I think someone also guessed in the 10k range.

I think I'd get start getting nervous Wednesday afternoon.

It'd be interesting to compile all the 'If we don't hear anything by ______, get nervous' posts.

I think that we should officially institute a NEGREP policy for anyone that mentions He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Fuck you, [name redacted]!

I'd just like to point out that the Shaka's not coming to Wake rumors coincided neatly with Moonz bringing RJ to this thread.

Welcome back! I saw you posted a bit during the [name redacted] firing. Hope you're bringing some #vibes.

Trying to spread #vibes for sure

Regardless of who we hire (dear bball gods please give us Shaka) the timing is such that it will make or break our program for years to come. We can either cement our place in the cellar of the ACC for the next decade or we can hire someone that will inspire the fanbase to get interested again. So scared that Ron will ruin it.

If someone has some sort of VT-esque intel that Shaka did indeed turn us down, I would think it's in the school's best interest to let the boards know. Not sure why you'd want to let this runaway speculation persist. It's a bad look.

Obama needs to step in, if we have to do this for another week the unemployment rate will surely go up.

This notion that if we don't get Shaka we will be cemented in the basement of the conference for a decade is nuts. He who shall not be named was a HORRIBLE hire. Horrible. It was obvious to most of us save RJ who waxed on about his NBA experience. He was old, had no NC ties, had plenty of time to accomplish things as a head coach and had failed, etc., etc. An obvious bad hire. This go round we will have good options who will not fit that mold.

That being said, SHAKA!!!

?Why is Manning under the floor boards. Why would he be an atrocious hire?

He has NC ties
He was an All-American in college
He was a long time NBA player
He has coached as an assistant with some of the best coaches in the country
He is a great big man coach
He wants to play sound defense that drives a transition offense (i.e. he likes to run and that's fun to watch)
People who have worked with him think he is a great person and coach

Agree! I think Manning would be a great hire! I don't think how they rank should be as important to us as fans. I think what's important is that we get a top coach. Whoever it is will be our #1 for several years, so let's hope it's a quality coach!

Back