• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread - Welcome Danny Manning!!!

There's a big thread that lists them, which has been running for months. Quit inserting yourself into arguments and being bullish when you're unclear of the terms. This isn't the Tunnels.

Sure things?

tumblr_lxvnb73bI01qcfba3o1_500.gif

If this is about to happen, we need to fire Wellman before the contract is set. Maybe put Buddie into the position tonight.

Maybe it's the best Buddie can do with Ron "Albatross" Wellman on his back. I'm really concerned that Wellie has done far more damage the last few years than we know. Maybe it's on to HatchOut.

I'll Continue to try and reserve judgements until something is officially official.

Re: Manning's "name recognition"

I was like "the guy who played for the Jazz?" Then I looked him up and realized he only played for the Jazz for 1 year and instead was in Clipper purgatory for most of his career. I have had season clipper tickets for 3 years and am in the top 3 most active posters in the NBA thread, and am 32 years old.

That's not that much name recognition.
You really never heard of the "Danny and the Miracles" team?

Manning has been a head coach for two years. Buzz had multiple stops as a head coach and a stint in the NBA.

This sounds exactly like four years ago when people started talking themselves into [Redacted]. Everybody claims they were Buzzout from the beginning, but that's a bunch of baloney. This is nearly exactly how fanbase took the news before. "WHAAAAT?!?!! OH NOES, TERRIBLE HIRE!!! ... I DUNNO, HE COULD BE KIND OF OK. NOT THE STATEMENT HIRE WE WERE LOOKING FOR, BUT LOOK AT SOME OF THESE PAST STOPS. AND THE NBA! THAT WILL HELP WITH RECRUITS AT LEAST. LET'S BE CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC."

#density

Not worth it

Manning has been a head coach for two years. Buzz had multiple stops as a head coach and a stint in the NBA.

This sounds exactly like four years ago when people started talking themselves into [Redacted]. Everybody claims they were Buzzout from the beginning, but that's a bunch of baloney. This is nearly exactly how fanbase took the news before. "WHAAAAT?!?!! OH NOES, TERRIBLE HIRE!!! ... I DUNNO, HE COULD BE KIND OF OK. NOT THE STATEMENT HIRE WE WERE LOOKING FOR, BUT LOOK AT SOME OF THESE PAST STOPS. AND THE NBA! THAT WILL HELP WITH RECRUITS AT LEAST. LET'S BE CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC."

That is NOT how Bzz's hire went down for a whole lot of people on this board. RJ and others, yes. But there were lots who said he was awful from day 1. Late 50's, no ties to North Carolina. No real success as a head coach - which is more damning than having limited experience and some success (like say a conference title and a trip to the NCAA's).

Manning is not a top tier candidate. But he merits consideration if we miss on some others.

Never mind people here keep on demanding a can't miss hire but won't name who those are. Who besides Shaka would really energize the fan base?

That is NOT how Bzz's hire went down for a whole lot of people on this board. RJ and others, yes. But there were lots who said he was awful from day 1. Late 50's, no ties to North Carolina. No real success as a head coach - which is more damning than having limited experience and some success (like say a conference title and a trip to the NCAA's).

Manning is not a top tier candidate. But he merits consideration if we miss on some others.

Never mind people here keep on demanding a can't miss hire but won't name who those are. Who besides Shaka would really energize the fan base?

I said from day one that [Redacted] was a terrible hire and would at best take us 6 years to get back to where we were.

Did I miss the formal announcement? Why are so many acting as if Manning is now a foregone conclusion? There was a similar article about Mack last week and nothing (so far) came of that.

if Shaka and Archie are not coming then Manning would be a good signing.

I was and still am as Buzzout as they come but I hope everyone gives the new coach a chance. It will prove that all this negativity from the fan base was due to [Redacted] and nothing more.

Now, if he loses to an 8-23 Stetson team that fires its coach at the end of the season (Wake law graduate via Marist High school in the ATL and Furman/FU university Derek Waugh)

lets all take a deep breath.

Goodman has repeatedly said he basically has no idea whats going on with Wake. Danny Manning has something to gain from this. Wake has pretty much nothing.

I think several here made this exact post when a Jeff Goodman broke the news [Redacted] would be our guy the last time.

I knew he was big in college, sure. I also thought he had a long and outstanding career with the Utah Jazz.
He's probably one of the top 5 Clippers of all-time. (Not saying much, but he's still one of the best to ever play there.)

Do you guys remember when we were going after Shaka and that money was "no object"? That was fun.

Who are the "sure things" that are out there. List them.

Marshall and Smart. And Buzz Williams is pretty close to a sure thing.

I'm with you - I like Manning, and he could turn out great. But after lying to us about Buzzdick and pissing off the fan base for 4 years, and then opening this hiring process by saying we're gonna spend $$ and make a home run hire, and then hire someone from the Manning/White/Mack tier, it's just more lying and bad messaging.

If we were just coming off of firing Dino, and Chairman Ron says we're not spending $3mil for a coach, then I'm very cool with a White or Manning. But coming off of 4 years of Buzzdick, then over promising a home run, then watching VT land Williams, and then hiring Manning, it just makes the fan base feel pissed on further. Just terrible PR and messaging. The 1st time we lose out to VT on a recruit, we're gonna go nuts.

There's a big thread that lists them, which has been running for months. Quit inserting yourself into arguments and being bullish when you're unclear of the terms. This isn't the Tunnels.

Talk about being bullish. Just list a few. It isn't that hard. This is, after all, the Official Hoops Coaching Search Thread.

Best case for Manning: Kevin Ollie
Worst case for Manning: Sidney Lowe

Sorry for not going cross racial, was going for former NBA players with little head job experience before their first major job. I guess I could have thrown out the mayor for best case as well.

He's probably one of the top 5 Clippers of all-time. (Not saying much, but he's still one of the best to ever play there.)

They must not have been showcasing many Clippers games on NBA on NBC back in the early 90's when I was 10 years old.

You cannot compare Manning and [Redacted]. First - Manning actually has more personality than the basketball unlike [Redacted]. Second - Manning won a national title as a player and an assistant coach. Third, Manning has coached at a smaller, private, academic school. 4th - [Redacted] has no comparables.

Back