• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

Working on my resume. Thoughts on putting presentations at industry conferences on resume? Saw a resume recently that had presentations at the top, above education and experience.

This is another one of those "it depends" situations. Usually presentations aren't that important, unless they are particularly relevant to the job you want. Were those presentations invited, as in requested by a program committee or just the "sign up here if you want to speak" type? Also, how important is making similar presentations to the job you want?

Dusting off my resume.
Is 10yrs work experience still standard, or if there's enough relevant experience in the last few years can you start to lop off older/unrelated jobs? As much as I love my appalachia service project experience and it falls within the 10yrs, it doesn't offer much beyond being a point of conversation.

Also, I am negotiating my own promotion and raise within my current work group, but this is not yet set in stone/there's been no formal offer. Meanwhile, basically my exact job - except at the more sr. title and pay grade - was posted in another bureau. I am applying for it, but would truly rather stay where I am at. How much can or should I use that posting to justify my case here, or should they be separate conversations?

Dusting off my resume.
Is 10yrs work experience still standard, or if there's enough relevant experience in the last few years can you start to lop off older/unrelated jobs? As much as I love my appalachia service project experience and it falls within the 10yrs, it doesn't offer much beyond being a point of conversation.

Also, I am negotiating my own promotion and raise within my current work group, but this is not yet set in stone/there's been no formal offer. Meanwhile, basically my exact job - except at the more sr. title and pay grade - was posted in another bureau. I am applying for it, but would truly rather stay where I am at. How much can or should I use that posting to justify my case here, or should they be separate conversations?

Pretty much half the people at my company will make more if they say they have an offer they are considering. Don't keep that to the vest. I had someone just leave last Friday and at the exit interview he said "the decision was mostly financial" and I was like "well did you renegotiate with us?" and he was like "I'm not good at that." So he just left without knowing what he could get.

Find out what they're paying at the other Bureau, and negotiate 10% more than that at your current gig. Most employers will overspend to keep their existing talent. In this economy, heck shoot for the stars, 20-30% more. At my last jump, I asked for 70% more than what I was making previously. Got 65. No harm letting them "negotiate" you down. Lets both sides think they won.

Last edited:
Depends on if the job description at the other bureau is already covered at your existing one. Like if it's what you do but the other bureau has it more senior with pay corresponding to this then yeah I'd use it straight up to negotiate.

Depends on if the job description at the other bureau is already covered at your existing one. Like if it's what you do but the other bureau has it more senior with pay corresponding to this then yeah I'd use it straight up to negotiate.

And what would be the logic of NOT using it to negotiate? Even if she was considering an offer as a crab fisherman, what's the harm in saying "well there's this cool crabbing job which is offering $10k more"

Because if my director is not interested in promoting me for whatever reason, she could just say "well that sounds like a great opportunity - take it!" and I'm SOL, since I'd really rather stay here.

Also, in the City there's really not a whole lot of ability to negotiate a ton of pay, so your 'find out what they're paying and negotiate 10% more' doesn't work. It's the same range I'd be offered here with a promotion, and a promotion comes with a standard 5% raise. While you *can* renegotiate for a little more, it's not standard practice to do that. At this point for me it's kind of less about the money (though I did just buy a house...) and more about wanting to feel recognized for the level of work I am doing. Last night I was getting legitimately upset at the fact I was effectively applying for my own job, when I've been looking for and talking that same opportunity here for the last 8 months.

Really my question is whether or not it's a smart move to play the "promote me or else" card when I really don't want to leave.

Because if my director is not interested in promoting me for whatever reason, she could just say "well that sounds like a great opportunity - take it!" and I'm SOL, since I'd really rather stay here.

Also, in the City there's really not a whole lot of ability to negotiate a ton of pay, so your 'find out what they're paying and negotiate 10% more' doesn't work. It's the same range I'd be offered here with a promotion, and a promotion comes with a standard 5% raise. While you *can* renegotiate for a little more, it's not standard practice to do that. At this point for me it's kind of less about the money (though I did just buy a house...) and more about wanting to feel recognized for the level of work I am doing. Last night I was getting legitimately upset at the fact I was effectively applying for my own job, when I've been looking for and talking that same opportunity here for the last 8 months.

You live in Portland, not Boone. Interview at the 2nd place then talk to the first one once your ducks are in a row and the offer is in the bag. Oh, nm. You're talking working for the city. I'd still take the interview.

yeah, these are all City jobs.

I think it's generally appropriate to include them on a resume. Personally, I'd place them after education and experience. Order matters, and order = importance.

After 5 plus years, education should move to the bottom.

I would do professional experience, presentations, and then education. Only out the education yo top of it is relevant to the job (for example you have a wake degree and the hiring manager graduated from wake or you are applying to wake). This is ofcourse for non acedmia faculty positions.

had a 2 hour 1 on 1 with one of the two owners. (These two have owned the company for 30 years). He bemused that all the other principals were yes men, while also being happy with the budget I gave him (he's never seen that level of detail before) and going out of a way to say how good the information was.

I'll take that to mean I should start disagreeing with him cause he'll respect that. Main disagreements are how they approach salary, vacation and overtime recording. They already told me no once on the overtime, I just need to be persistent. So I'll check back in here in like 6 months.

verbal confirmation of promotion.

I'll take that on a sunny Friday afternoon.

ecommerce?

Not specifically, no, any type of strong solution selling approach is needed. If you have history in transitioning prospects/clients from traditional/offline to SaaS, even better. If you have any link to the Market Research industry, Advertising industry or connections with major CPG or retail brands, thats like a check plus plus plus.

So I now have two job offers. One is the top HR job at a smaller govt agency office north of Tampa. The other is a Dept Head for Medical group in Miami Gardens. As much as I like state benefits and the people at the north of Tampa one, it's a big cut from my last job and the Miami Gardens role is actually a step up in cash. (and my severance package still has another 2.5 months to go).

So if you had a family and job in Miami Gardens, where would you be looking to live?

So I now have two job offers. One is the top HR job at a smaller govt agency office north of Tampa. The other is a Dept Head for Medical group in Miami Gardens. As much as I like state benefits and the people at the north of Tampa one, it's a big cut from my last job and the Miami Gardens role is actually a step up in cash. (and my severance package still has another 2.5 months to go).

So if you had a family and job in Miami Gardens, where would you be looking to live?
Tampa. Maybe St. Pete.

Back