• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Syracuse - Wake game thread (Foot of snow)

And you can't let this happen:

2nd Half: 15-26 57.7%

Especially when we do this:

2nd Half: 13-25 52.0%

There are a lot of little mistakes that add up to the loss (except for the defense which is a big thing) but remember at the 8 min mark Childress missed the front end of the one and one, which would have put us back up by 5, 'cuse goes down and drills a 3, tie game 5 point swing.

We let Lyndon get 4 of their 10 o-reb, two of which were down low.

Lot of things add up to this loss, but going with the 'out score them' strategy will lead to this.

Yeah I do not understand why Van Horn is the player to come off the bench in that end of game scenario. I was thinking that as I saw him taking off his warmup shirt. If McClinton or Moore or any other division 1 athlete is in the game, we might make a play on that Dinos miss. It just makes no sense why you put Van Horn in in that situation.

And I realize that that's a long shot to happen, but still, you should play your best players and I don't think Van Horn should be coming in over even McClinton in that kind of situation (much less in general).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely odd, even though he was only in there to foul as that's what told me we were not trying to miss the 2nd. If we were going for the rebound I would have put Moore in at that point.

Yeah. Van Horn over McClinton is a head scratcher. McClinton gives you offensive rebounding (14 on the season) and fouls. He's a better defender than Van Horn too. Kills me when coaches play for defense instead of offensive rebounding in those situations (see Timmy in Game 6 vs. Heat).

Well, at the very end, they were fouling to send us to the line so we couldn't hit a 3. McClinton isn't someone we want to depend on for foul shots. I am not sure that fully explains Van Horn, but I think could explain why McClinton wasn't in at the very end.

I start to think he is getting better, but then he does this crap ...

Yeah. Van Horn over McClinton is a head scratcher. McClinton gives you offensive rebounding (14 on the season) and fouls. He's a better defender than Van Horn too. Kills me when coaches play for defense instead of offensive rebounding in those situations (see Timmy in Game 6 vs. Heat).

I can even understand trying the 3 shortest guys on the team for a couple of stretches, since they can actually really shoot the ball, but the other two guys have to be big guys to deal with the Cuse's height. Collins can't do it all. When Arians was in there with Crawford, Chill, JC & Wilbekin, the defense was so bad and I really didn't see the offensive advantage it was giving us. That is a terrible combination against any team with length.

And the Van Horn substitution was indefensible. I can't begin to tell you a single good argument for putting him on the floor.

Van Horn was put in the game to commit a foul not play D. It's not a head-scractcher at all.

Well, at the very end, they were fouling to send us to the line so we couldn't hit a 3. McClinton isn't someone we want to depend on for foul shots. I am not sure that fully explains Van Horn, but I think could explain why McClinton wasn't in at the very end.

Who knows.

Really strange because VanHorn isn't listed in the box score or in the text play by play. I could understand the box score as maybe if you play less than a minute of game time they don't list it, but the play by play is bizarre.

The more you think about it the stranger it becomes. McClinton certainly could foul. If there was a rebound, he's a better option. If he winds up with the ball, we were down 2 when Dinos missed his FT, you'd want a guy that could go up and score from close in. There were 8 seconds left so even if he gets the rebound and passes out for a 3 to go for the win, he's not getting the ball back, unless it's another o-rb. When Dinos misses we foul and can sub him out for a better ft shooter.

Lot of over analysis but, it would seem, McClinton is a no brainer as VanHorn is only shooting FT's if he gets an o-rb.

Possible that McClinton is under the weather? For a sub in on a play where we are making a foul on the inbounds pass, I don't see what the big deal is whether is it TVH or McClinton. That is a totally inconsequential play that couldn't really have an impact on the game. Unfortuantely, Childress fouled their best shooter instead before the play even happened.

The Deacs surrendered 34 points over the final 10:32 of the game. That might be a reason for the loss as well.

Defense is our glaring weakness...brown should help that. And tip the cap to Syracuse. Made a lot of long threes

Defense down the stretch is a big problem, but it seemed like most of our guys were tentative offensively last night. Bonner said something that is absolutely true--be ready to shoot the damn ball. Our shooters have reasonably quick releases but seemed really hesitant last night.

The thing that irked me the final so many minutes is that we tried to score against a zone by standing still and passing around the arc. Looked like a Bz offense.

The thing that irked me the final so many minutes is that we tried to score against a zone by standing still and passing around the arc. Looked like a Bz offense.

Yeah I thought the same thing. They got away with packing it on on Collins AND not giving up many threes. Thought DM didn't adjust and got outcoached. But if that is what the plan is they need to be ready to shoot when they get the chance. Even BC seemed tentative. Childress was the only one who seemed aggressive and I noticed he had no turnovers. Woods seemed in a funk, even on defense. Dinos and Arians--well they were Dinos and Arians.

So many turnovers, awful. If we have a desire to make the NCAAT these are games we've got to have. A lot of blame to go around for the sloppy play, but is there a reason JC and Moore never seem to be on the floor at the same time?

Defense is our glaring weakness...brown should help that. And tip the cap to Syracuse. Made a lot of long threes

And the defensive weakness is only exacerbated when we seemingly give up half a dozen soft, stupid and-ones per game. We had two in the final minutes last night that really came back to bite us

There was a point in the last 7 or 8 minutes when you could hear Bonner getting frustrated with Wake not getting the ball down to Collins...at first he was casually saying, "oh, they missed him, he was open for a second", then one possession he just yelled "THROW HIM THE BALL!" It's not only the quick shots, it quick ball movement that we need before the zone has a chance to properly rotate, I think there were 4 or 5 times that I noticed (and clearly Bonner did too) that a guard would have the ball on the wing and Collins would flash open and be open for a half second, where a good quick pass would have been an easy turn around layup and the guards just didn't see him or weren't ready to catch and pass. If we could've hit those passes we could've done that all night long and there isn't much they could've done about it.

How bad was the Childress call? My feed was blurry and it looked like he might have flopped a bit but I wasn't sure.

Crawford call was egregious but not surprising. Refs at all levels are hesitant to call that a shooting foul for some reason even though it's clear to everyone in the gym that he's in the act of shooting.

Agreed Crawford call not being considered "in the act" was horrible. IMO it was direct result of Jimmy working the officials hard in the first half. Once when our guy drove the lane and shot 2 FT's since he was driving to the hole and fouled "in the act." Second when their guy drove but was fouled just before going "into the act". JB didn't agree that we should be shooting 2 nor did he agree that his guy shouldn't be shooting 2. Once BC launched the long 3 even though it was clearly in the act I think his whining finally paid off.

The Deacs surrendered 34 points over the final 10:32 of the game. That might be a reason for the loss as well.

This is exactly why we lost. I can't remember more than a couple times they didn't get some points on possessions in the 10 minutes, other than a couple TO's and one time they missed both free throws. They either scored, got fouled, or missed and got the OR and scored. We couldn't stop them. 34 in the last 10 minutes is insane. Collins is the only guy we can count on for rebounds consistently. A couple more guys are going to have to step it up on the boards.

Back