• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake - Syracuse Thread

Friedlander has some strange, irrational hatred for the Wake fan base. I don't really get it. And LOL at last year being Year 1. What happened in Buzz's 1st recruiting class, Brett? Anthony Fields, Chase Fischer, and Daniel Green. Solid recruiting, Buzzy.

We lost to Cuse at home by 10. BC lost to them at home by 10. Miami lost to them at home by 12.

I don't see the big moral victory here.

Yeah, I agree with DC. We attacked the zone very well with good ball movement. We just don't have the athleticism to finish near the rim, and the 3s weren't falling.

I obviously agree that our horrible shooting was a big contributor to the loss, but our game plan couldn't have included shooting twenty 3s. The biggest problems I noticed with our attack were:
-Our driving players and bigs, especially Cav and Devin, didn't go into their bigs to draw the foul, they tried to go over them and kept getting stuffed.
-We kept shooting 3's with 3 or 4 out (at the perimeter) so we had absolutely zero chance of getting offensive rebounds. Taking a 3 with no chance of an offensive rebound is nearly a turnover; it's 60% of a turnover on a good day and it was 85% of a turnover tonight.
-CMM wasn't nearly aggressive enough on offense. 4 points simply won't cut it, ever.
-We didn't attack the gaps enough with the drive.

Star-News ACC ‏@starnewsacc 58m

As I said, #WakeForest acquitted itself well tonite (though I'm sure, not well enough for the Buzzouts).

Star-News ACC ‏@starnewsacc 12m

@austin_johnson I call them out because I don't think they ever gave the guy a chance and theyr'e doing what they can to ensure his failure

Star-News ACC ‏@starnewsacc 10m

@austin_johnson I also think that he's being portrayed as unintelligent, for lack of better term. You dont get an NBA gig if you can't coach

@deuce4922 @austin_johnson I'm not calling [Redacted] out. I'm calling the morons who are trying to sabotage him out.

@austin_johnson I think his first 2 seasons were basically tearing the program down and ridding it of some unsavory characters.

Like Sidney Lowe! That guy knows basketball!!!

We lost to Cuse at home by 10. BC lost to them at home by 10. Miami lost to them at home by 12.

I don't see the big moral victory here.

That's the beauty of a moral victory. You can create one out of just about any game that was fairly competitive. Just like you can pick apart any close win and call it lucky.

To be fair though, most posts read in the "oh, we are who we thought we were after all" manner.

To be fair, it was a two-possession game with under five minutes to go. We were in it.

Unlike the last couple of games, though, I never thought that we'd win it. If we'd hit some of those really open threes it might have been a different story.

More than the wide-open 3's that were missed. We would have been better than "in it" if we could have controlled our offensive rebounding. It's like no one has ever thought to go after the ball with two hands. That one-handed, slap the ball around shit gave 'Cuse a ton of second-chance points

Just got back from the game a little while ago. I'm sure most of this is restating the obvious from the thread, but Wake couldn't hit anything from three, our frontcourt players continually stood around and watched loose balls, Bzzz made some truly baffling lineup calls in the second half even when factoring in foul trouble (playing Ovaltine over Coron for large stretches, taking out McKie down the stretch on a defensive possession after he played good defense against Fair the entire game, pulling Thomas out early in the second half for Washington after he made two shots in row), and the officials were very inconsistent (not why we lost though). The ref with the buzzcut was absolutely terrible. I think he called one foul on Syracuse the entire game and he waved off the McKie runner that should've been a three point play.

I saw a lot of great athletes on the floor tonight, including these two. More photos Thursday.

Frisbee%20dogs%2001-L.jpg

Arnaud%20Adala%20Moto%20dunk-L.jpg

The dog show at halftime was embarrassing. It probably caught less than 25 percent of the frisbee tosses. Great play by Moto though.

Syracuse was bigger, longer, quicker and had better hands. You are not going to beat a team like that without hitting some threes. We didn't, and we lost. On the other hand we did hustle, play good defense, and move the ball around pretty well on offense. Rebounding still stinks: no one blocks out and no one follows their shot. Buzz substitution patterns still suck. What the hell is wrong with that man?

My thoughts:

1. Zone offense was solid for the most part. Attacked the short corner and the high post and clearly had been coaches to emphasize the high low drop off pass which was very effective.

2. We still suck at rebounding.

3. Defensively I thought Bz coached a solid game as well (outside of our rebounding).

4. Should have used timeouts during the stretch when CMM was sidelined with 4 fouls. He needed to finesse that time and he just let the guys play. I would have used one right after we hit the 3/stole the inbound for a layup/made a stop on Cuse. At that point we were down 3-5 points ( can't be sure) but we had some momentum without CMM. Instead Bz let the guys play and we launched 2 really poor three point attempts in a row and Syracuse scored twice pushing the lead back close to double digits.

That was a key moment in the game. Our secondary lineup needed focus and Bz let them play.

All in all I have to say this was a pretty well coached game by Bz. One of the best I have seen him coach. Huge mistake on not using a timeout during that stretch but the players were prepared and executed fairly well all things considered.

Lack of quality shooters and post players killed us, but we all know Bz can't recruit.

Last point: refereeing sucked. For both teams. It was not biased, but it was terrible.

Syracuse was bigger, longer, quicker and had better hands. You are not going to beat a team like that without hitting some threes. We didn't, and we lost. On the other hand we did hustle, play good defense, and move the ball around pretty well on offense. Rebounding still stinks: no one blocks out and no one follows their shot. Buzz substitution patterns still suck. What the hell is wrong with that man?

The encouraging part is we didn't play well and hung in with a strong team. The disconcerting part is how many simple mistakes we made like boxing out and taking bad/rushed shots that could've swung the game. Syracuse basically played seven guys. Bzzz wants prove we have a "deep" team so he throws Washington, Rountree, and Ovaltine out there just to seemingly prove a point. You don't need to play 10 guys in college basketball with the number of tv timeouts and general stoppages in the game.

Back