• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

I'm wishing for a revenge game against somebody. Miss.St ('11), S.Carolina and LSU (70's and 80's), or Michigan ('88) in Nashville or J'ville. Gator Bowl is the only one I could attend. I'm proud of our guys, and wish him well where ever we end up. I'll be in the stands Saturday, cheering us on to our 8th win, when we can pick and choose our Bowl and opponent.

A game against a similarly ranked Michigan team would be incredible.

I have waited a long time for Wake to play a non-conference team that has national recognition - deserved based on recent play or historical perception - and win. Of course, the press would be how far they've fallen or how unmotivated they were....

I agree oldman,

Closest thing somewhat recently to the kind of win you're talking about that I can remember was over unranked UConn, Big East co-champ, in 2007 in Charlotte. Beating a ranked Temple was big, but not a P5 team.

Other than that, Oregon got as high as #6 before falling apart and losing to us in the Seattle Bowl blowout that nobody expected us to win. The year before, Oregon finished #2 in the nation after blowing out Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl. We also beat a really good Ole Miss team in 2008 that ended up winning the Cotton Bowl, but there was no national recognition of that team when we beat them. Also beat Baylor with RGIII and Stanford with Luck before they became anything nationally.

Yeah, it's been a very long time.

Is it the ACC ranking as determined by ACC or overall records, or is it the CFP ranking?

Yes. But only because it increases the possibility we could sneak into the CFP rankings.

We need plenty of teams to lose at the top and bottom of the CFP rankings.

If we were 8-3, we would probably be projected to make the OB.

Our chances look very good to make the OB, Jax, Orlando, or Charlotte.

Last edited:
Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread

Is it the ACC ranking as determined by ACC or overall records, or is it the CFP ranking?

The ACC standings don't matter. The CFP rankings only matters for the OB. What matters is getting 8 wins so we can't get jumped by 6 win teams.

Does the two win rule keep 9 win teams from getting jumped by 7 win teams?

Does the SEC have a 8 win rule?

It's unclear how the SEC bowls after the Citrus assign bids. If Bama is in the CFP and Auburn is in the NY6, SC, Miss St, and LSU have 8 wins. One will be in the Citrus. Seems like SC should do better than Charlotte.

Last edited:
And Wolford gets over 400 yds

Yep.
While crushing a SEC team.

I wanna see the seniors come out grinning with Deacs going wild in the stands.

Last edited:
Yep.
While crushing a SEC team.

I wanna see the seniors come out grinning with Deacs going wild in the stands.

Throw your bodies with wreckless abandon, having no regard for your personal well-being
Play with your hair on fire
Never, never, never, never, never give up.
There is no tomorrow.

After the win......Nobody sleeps tonight.

Throw your bodies with wreckless abandon, having no regard for your personal well-being
Play with your hair on fire
Never, never, never, never, never give up.
There is no tomorrow.

After the win......Nobody sleeps tonight.
The time is now.

The ACC standings don't matter. The CFP rankings only matters for the OB. What matters is getting 8 wins so we can't get jumped by 6 win teams.

It's unclear how the SEC bowls after the Citrus assign bids. If Bama is in the CFP and Auburn is in the NY6, SC, Miss St, and LSU have 8 wins. One will be in the Citrus. Seems like SC should do better than Charlotte.

They do a tier 1 as well, with like 6 bowls (Tampa, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville, Memphis, Houston) after the Citrus bowl is assigned. The conference and bowls work together to create good matchups in those 6 bowls, avoiding repeat trips and regular season rematches.

Right. So it's not clear if Jax or Tampa pick before Charlotte and if they'd pick SC if they do. Wake-SC would be a great matchup for Charlotte but what chance do they have to make it?

I think the most likely SEC teams for the Belk Bowl are Mizzou and Texas A&M. But like the ACC side, there are still a lot of uncertainties.

Thanks for clarifying that...

No problem. Nice to be having this discussion on Thanksgiving Day.

I think the most likely SEC teams for the Belk Bowl are Mizzou and Texas A&M. But like the ACC side, there are still a lot of uncertainties.

Based on what? That doesn't make any sense geographically

Based on what? That doesn't make any sense geographically

Only UGA, Tenn, and SC make sense geographically and none may be available.

Back