• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

cata, have you figured out how the new American rules will impact your status for next year? I think I'll be Plat Pro based on credit card spend alone. Not at all clear on how this system works for AA though - me spending a bunch of money on my AA credit cards is not enough for them to give me tons of upgrades.

cata, have you figured out how the new American rules will impact your status for next year? I think I'll be Plat Pro based on credit card spend alone. Not at all clear on how this system works for AA though - me spending a bunch of money on my AA credit cards is not enough for them to give me tons of upgrades.

No it is not clear to me at all. I book most of my flights on my company CC, which is gonna screw me on status.

I see end of year was extended to February 28 on American. When does it start? January 1?

I'm not sure if I'll continue to mask on planes or not. Really not much more high risk than being at a crowded bar or restaurant mask-less, and probably less risk given much better filtration. But, I used to get sick after flying somewhat often, and I don't think I have since the pandemic started, despite flying a lot.

I'm not sure if I'll continue to mask on planes or not. Really not much more high risk than being at a crowded bar or restaurant mask-less, and probably less risk given much better filtration. But, I used to get sick after flying somewhat often, and I don't think I have since the pandemic started, despite flying a lot.

This is a well reasoned take. I know a lot of parents who would be very happy if their kids masked up during flu season. 2 straight winters without any crud coming home was nice.

Yeah I used to pick up colds traveling all the time. Filtration’s great and all but if Covid McFlu’s right next to you you’re probably getting sick.

I don't fly much--and I haven't for 2 years--but I get some form of sickness every time I do. I'm wearing an N95 when I fly from now on.

I used to swear by Airborne even though it has largely been debunked. I am sad that the mandate ended prematurely as I have my first flights since covid this week. I'll be masking, and I hope for a last minute reinstatement.

My wife is about to be on the plane next to at least one fat guy. I hope the other one is nice to her.

Do people here check the turbulence forecast prior to a flight? I like to know what I'm getting myself into re: when to try to sleep, work, booze, etc., but sometimes it gets me unnecessarily anxious. Last week, flying into Utah was the first time I can ever remember the turbulence map showing red/SEVERE at my destination and I had it in my mind that we were going to drop 10,000 feet into a mountain. Really wasn't too bad.

i didn't even consider that turbulence forecast was a thing

flying friday, happy I can be maskless but also appreciate the motivations of those that want to wear one

the over-the-top mask removal celebrations mid-air are too much though

no, seems like adding anxiety over something you have literally no control

Yeah, I'm generally hyper-aware of things and prone to anxiety so it's probably something I should stop. But expecting bad turbulence and being pleasantly surprised also seems better to me than expecting a smooth flight (I think we all hope for/expect this) and ending up on a roller coaster ride.

Also, tailwinds are awesome. My flight home from SLC left like 45 min late but got in 10 min early. 140 mph tailwinds got us home in well under 3 hours.

Do people here check the turbulence forecast prior to a flight? I like to know what I'm getting myself into re: when to try to sleep, work, booze, etc., but sometimes it gets me unnecessarily anxious. Last week, flying into Utah was the first time I can ever remember the turbulence map showing red/SEVERE at my destination and I had it in my mind that we were going to drop 10,000 feet into a mountain. Really wasn't too bad.

I didn't know turbulence forecasting was a thing, but I might check it out. My biggest concern around turbulence is that I tend to laugh like a maniac when it hits, and I just get the abdominal butterflies like from a rollercoaster but those around me are screaming and puking. I used to fly into ABQ a lot which is special as you dip under the Sandias.

Yeah, I'm generally hyper-aware of things and prone to anxiety so it's probably something I should stop. But expecting bad turbulence and being pleasantly surprised also seems better to me than expecting a smooth flight (I think we all hope for/expect this) and ending up on a roller coaster ride.

Also, tailwinds are awesome. My flight home from SLC left like 45 min late but got in 10 min early. 140 mph tailwinds got us home in well under 3 hours.

Last time I went to Hawaii there was some weird shit going on with the atmosphere/jetstream/whatever weather nerds. The wind was blowing E-->W instead of the usual, and my flight from DC to Phoenix was like an hour under sched, and Phonenix to Honolulu was like 2 hours under schedule.

a few months ago there were some crazy tailwinds and flights were making record time from North America to Europe

Back