• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

Delta had flights from ATL to Denver for the end of January/beginning of February for 16,000 SkyMiles round trip (main cabin, with plenty of Comfort+ seats that I'd get to select immediately after booking) last night. I had been debating where to go ski this winter and that sealed somewhere in Colorado as the destination. I tried booking and got an error message - nothing indicating the problem, just that it couldn't be completed online. I gave it a couple hours and tried again - same thing. I got up this morning and the fare was up to 20,000 SkyMiles for the flights I wanted, but that's still a good deal. Got the same damn error message. This afternoon it was up to 25,500 and I was still getting the same error. By the time I have time to sit on hold for God knows how long this evening, it's up to 32,500 and the cash price is a better deal, but I was hoping to guilt them into giving it to me for the original price because of the error messages and my platinum status (not likely, but I was just sitting watching basketball, so it was worth a shot).

Finally get an agent and get told my account has been compromised, I have to submit some government ID and it'll take 7-10 business days to get my account unlocked. The problem, however, is that my account isn't actually locked - I just can't use SkyMiles. Wouldn't you think you would lock access to the account if there is some indication it had been compromised - you can get my passport #, all contact information, TSA known traveler number, partial credit card number and expiration date, etc. And would I just have a compromised account indefinitely had I not tried to use miles and then called? I certainly didn't get any other kind of indication.

After an hour on the phone with Delta this morning, I got told my account wasn't locked and wasn't compromised, it was just "under audit" whatever the hell that means. They were able to take the audit off while I was on the phone. Got the flight for 21,500 miles this morning, with a confirmed upgrade to first on the way out using a regional upgrade certificate and comfort+ on the way back. Agent today told me I was on with the reservations line (the number it said to call when I got the error message), not the medallion line, last night, so note to self and anyone else who is a medallion member, always call the medallion line, regardless of what you are trying to do.

What value per point are you trying to achieve when you use points? As long as I'm getting 1 cent per point I pull the trigger paying via points instead of cash

I think Chase and SWA points are usually valued at 1.5c per point/mile

Chase can be up to 2c/point if you book through their portal

What value per point are you trying to achieve when you use points? As long as I'm getting 1 cent per point I pull the trigger paying via points instead of cash
SkyPesos are typically valued at 1.1-1.2 cents per mile depending on who you listen to. At the 16,000 mile fare, it was about 1.7 cents per mile. The cash prices went up (though not proportionately) as the miles price went up (and then down this morning), but at 21,500, it was about 1.45 cents per mile, so still a good deal, just not as good. And fucking annoying that I couldn't pull the trigger when I wanted to.

I think Chase and SWA points are usually valued at 1.5c per point/mile

Chase can be up to 2c/point if you book through their portal
yes, and AMEX points are supposedly 2c/point as well, but most of that value comes if you're flying business class which I never do. So I just end up not spending my points ever cause I'm never getting 2c/point. I think chase is 1.5c/point through their portal with the reserve.

SWA is similar to Chase where the points and price are just pegged ratios to dollars, unlike, say, American and United points

SWA is similar to Chase where the points and price are just pegged ratios to dollars, unlike, say, American and United points
Yah, which is nice. Because right now they just stop the ability to redeem for American points when the ratio gets too generous so I can't use them at all

Yeah I usually just book through the chase portal rather than transferring the points. I could get a better value by transferring but it's enough to make it worth going through the process. and then if anything happens with the reservation I can call the chase people and they fix it without having to get in touch with someone at the airline

Flew to FL over the holidays on SW, had no travel issues but still secured that 25k miles bonus. Let's go.

Lot a talk about what’s wrong with Southwest, but 95% of their issues are caused by SWAPA.

Sounds like someone that gets his information from the cocktail waitresses of the sky.

Back