• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

I had an address and job change so idk if I'll have to do one or not
Last year, I renewed after I had three address changes, a job change, and had been doing an international commute every week for 24 months pre-Covid (plus another 20 countries in that five year period covering five continents) Did my second renewal and had no issues - my Global Entry card was sent to me with the same photo of me as a 25 year old taken in 2011 at LAX, when I've definitely put on a good 40 pounds in the past 11+ years. No interview, no anything - just pay the $100 and pass Go.

On a plane now. I think the play is to buy the window seat and the aisle seat for you and your wife and leave the middle open hoping no one selects it. Then if they do just offer to swap the aisle for the middle, which of course they’ll say yes to

this is the strategy we use, especially on Southwest

this is the strategy we use, especially on Southwest
My ass is always flying C group on southwest, because I fly free on standby. I look for this dynamic when I choose my seat hoping for an aisle instead of the middle.

My ass is always flying C group on southwest, because I fly free on standby. I look for this dynamic when I choose my seat hoping for an aisle instead of the middle.

Even though I have nonrev benefits on Delta for another 3.5 years as part of a package I took from them, it's been so much more enjoyable going back to flying as a paid customer. As a top-level elite on American, I can confirm my extra legroom coach seat at the time of booking, and I've missed maybe two upgrades to First Class so far this year. Much better than being in a random middle (or hoping to just get on).

Interesting explanation about how airline rewards programs have become more valuable than the airlines themselves.

I just got Silver Medallion on Delta almost exclusively by virtue of having the Delta Amex.

Silver doesn’t mean shit living in Atlanta because every flight has people that outrank it.

I just got Silver Medallion on Delta almost exclusively by virtue of having the Delta Amex.

Silver doesn’t mean shit living in Atlanta because every flight has people that outrank it.
With all the COVID miles rollovers, at this point, you pretty much need to be diamond or 360 to get upgrades on Atlanta flights (or on super random routes). As a platinum, I was 37/121 on the upgrade list on a Tuesday mid-afternoon flight to Orlando a few weeks ago.

Platinum is nice for the automatic comfort+ upgrade as soon as you book your flight.

Platinum is nice for the automatic comfort+ upgrade as soon as you book your flight.
Yes - definitely the biggest perk of platinum. I was actually also able to use my regional upgrade certificates for confirmed upgrades to first for flights to and from Seattle and to and from Salt Lake, which was nice. I know a lot of people say choosing the 4 regional upgrade certificates as your platinum choice benefit is the wrong call, but I’ve had decent luck with them the past couple of years (one still being a real COVID year, so I’m sure they were easier to use than normal).

With all the COVID miles rollovers, at this point, you pretty much need to be diamond or 360 to get upgrades on Atlanta flights (or on super random routes). As a platinum, I was 37/121 on the upgrade list on a Tuesday mid-afternoon flight to Orlando a few weeks ago.
Yeah I earned silver in 2019 that has rolled over every year since. Have only flown Delta about 5 times since then. And last time I flew I was last on the upgrade list every time, when before I had gotten a few upgrades. Not gonna have status next year although might fly enough to qualify again.

Anyone ever flown Turkish Airlines? If so, what were your impressions?
Solid. Better than most transatlantic flights I've had on American/United/Delta. Decent food, modern entertainment systems. Only issue is most (all?) routes connect through Istanbul which isn't always helpful.

Back