• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

Bout to catch a flight for the first time since the lifted the mandates. Cannot wait to go rawdog that plane.

i generally like the CLT airport (will love it once construction is done in ten years) but the baggage claim time there is TERRIBLE. I don't check a bag unless I have to simply to avoid the 30 minute wait.

Interesting. My CLT experiences have been rough. The connecting flight gates are often quite far away from each other and there is no quick way to get there in a large airport. Had many situations where I was running to the gate and barely made it. Starting off there has been OK.

Atlanta is massive, and their tram is excellent. You are never more ~15 mins away from even the furthest terminal. For connecting, it is quick even though it is the most trafficked airport. The food situation seems like a mess - lots of options, but the lines out the door many places. I never there for more than an hour anyways, so don't care about that.

I can't remember the last time I flew in/out/through CLT. May have been 15 years at this point. Not sure why, but maybe I just don't fly anywhere that requires a stop in CLT vs somewhere else like DFW or ORD.

Dulles is the last option for me in the DC area. DCA is obvi the favored option being so easy to get to from my house. On a super early morning flight I can be out my front door and through security in less than 20 mins. Flying out of Dulles in a couple of weeks simply because it has a non-stop to where I'm going (St. Thomas), but otherwise I avoid it if at all possible. It's just such a trash heap (except for the FBO, which is nice to fly in and out of :cool:), and on a bad day can take ~two hours to get to/home from. BWI is ok, and depending on traffic can often be quicker than getting to IAD, but there isn't often a need for me to use it as an option vs DCA (except for FBO :cool:)

There is one airport I flat out refuse to connect through, especially internationally, and that's Miami. Fuck that place. It's always a goddamn shitshow.

I think I've gotten the 2,500 miles at MCO a dozen times since Delta implemented the 20 minute guarantee. Orlando has to be one of the worst in terms of time from gate to bag claim (not a big deal, since I would usually just go and get my rental car keys in the interim). At ATL, unless I fly into T gates, my bag is usually on the carousel before I get there.

Try BWI after 9 pm if you want more miles and after 11 if it increases after 30, 40 and 50 mins.

I would love SW to add that to their app.

I can't remember the last time I flew in/out/through CLT. May have been 15 years at this point. Not sure why, but maybe I just don't fly anywhere that requires a stop in CLT vs somewhere else like DFW or ORD.

Dulles is the last option for me in the DC area. DCA is obvi the favored option being so easy to get to from my house. On a super early morning flight I can be out my front door and through security in less than 20 mins. Flying out of Dulles in a couple of weeks simply because it has a non-stop to where I'm going (St. Thomas), but otherwise I avoid it if at all possible. It's just such a trash heap (except for the FBO, which is nice to fly in and out of :cool:), and on a bad day can take ~two hours to get to/home from. BWI is ok, and depending on traffic can often be quicker than getting to IAD, but there isn't often a need for me to use it as an option vs DCA (except for FBO :cool:)

There is one airport I flat out refuse to connect through, especially internationally, and that's Miami. Fuck that place. It's always a goddamn shitshow.

DCA is definitely nice, can be a bit difficult to get in and out of depending on where you are coming from. Dulles is blah. BWI is soooo much worse in the few times I have been there. The traffic is awful if you need to come/go from DC. Dulles has toll road access which is huge. I don't even consider BWI as a real option if you are going to DC-area.

Dulles is ugly AF and needs some serious updating, the weird ass cargo bus thing that takes you between certain terminals is inefficient and sometimes you are just sitting there sucking in smog for 10 mins before it leaves. I mean this would be considered embarrassing or unacceptable in many countries' capital city.

y'all are some complaining ass motherfuckers.

Interesting. My CLT experiences have been rough. The connecting flight gates are often quite far away from each other and there is no quick way to get there in a large airport. Had many situations where I was running to the gate and barely made it. Starting off there has been OK.

Atlanta is massive, and their tram is excellent. You are never more ~15 mins away from even the furthest terminal. For connecting, it is quick even though it is the most trafficked airport. The food situation seems like a mess - lots of options, but the lines out the door many places. I never there for more than an hour anyways, so don't care about that.

i generally O/D in charlotte, but still, getting from the far end of E to the far end of B (which is about as far as you can walk for a connection) would never take more than 10 minutes unless you're just strolling. I actually think ATL is worse in that regard - if you land out on one of the ends of a concourse, you have to hike back to the train, then potentially right back out on another concourse.

Anyway glad we all agree that Dulles sucks monkey balls

Y'all are crazy. Charlotte is easy as fuck to navigate now that they've finished E.

Yeah, CLT is widely considered one of the best airports by seasoned travelers. I will agree that the baggage times, specifically for American, are lacking.

DCA is definitely nice, can be a bit difficult to get in and out of depending on where you are coming from. Dulles is blah. BWI is soooo much worse in the few times I have been there. The traffic is awful if you need to come/go from DC. Dulles has toll road access which is huge. I don't even consider BWI as a real option if you are going to DC-area.

Dulles is ugly AF and needs some serious updating, the weird ass cargo bus thing that takes you between certain terminals is inefficient and sometimes you are just sitting there sucking in smog for 10 mins before it leaves. I mean this would be considered embarrassing or unacceptable in many countries' capital city.

Isn't there a mark train or something to BWI from DC proper? I use DCA and BWI about the same as I am between them. For long trips and being cheap I love parking at the metro for DCA and only having to pay 5 bucks or whatever when I get back.

I love Dulles architecture but obviously it's dated. The train/tram/at-at thing are fascinating, in a "who the fuck thought of this idiocy" way but are fun to look at. Other than that Dulles is awful. It's consistently the cheapest of the 3 for flights I want to take, but not worth the hassle of getting there.

Last edited:
Y'all are crazy. Charlotte is easy as fuck to navigate now that they've finished E.

Yea but if you fly into A terminal and have a connecting flight out of E it can be a long walk, but Charlotte is definitely an top tier airport.

Austin's airport is elite. The food options are straight up bangers.

Isn't there a mark train or something to BWI from DC proper? I use DCA and BWI about the same as I am between them. For long trips and being cheap I love parking at the metro for DCA and only having to pay 5 bucks or whatever when I get back.

I love Dulles architecture but obviously it's dated. The train/tram/at-at thing are fascinating, in a "who the fuck thought of this idiocy" way but are fun to look at. Other than that Dulles is awful. It's consistently the cheapest of the 3 for flights I want to take, but not worth the hassle of getting there.

The MARC/Amtrak train station is a 15-20 min shuttle from BWI. There is a Baltimore Link Tram stop right outside the terminal. At least BWI has cheap parking. I also find traffic to BWI usually better than traffic to Dulles.

Dulles Z, A, and B gates are pretty good, but the moon buggies from C & D gates are awful. DCA would be close to the best airport in the US if it weren't for Terminal A (where there is usually only one security line and no pre-check).

how often do people get food at their departure/arrival airport? I might get a bottle of water, coffee, or snack from the news stand but that's about it. I'll eat during my layover if long enough.

how often do people get food at their departure/arrival airport? I might get a bottle of water, coffee, or snack from the news stand but that's about it. I'll eat during my layover if long enough.

That's it for me. I'll grab a soda or water and maybe a bag of M&Ms.

If I have enough time for it, I'll definitely run to the lounge and have a decent snack.

Regularly. Austin's food options are great so if I have a flight in the morning/afternoon i'll do breakfast/lunch there. Also traveling for work food is free so it's a no brainer.

Dallas airport has a Pappadeaux in the A terminal, and I will always stop by if I have time.

Back