• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PA Voter ID law ruled unconstitutional

You don't need an ID to get on an airplane, apply for a job, rent a house, or get married. Those are the ones I know for sure. Probably a few of the other ones too.

Just because they ask for your ID doesn't mean it's required. It just makes things go faster.

Marriage license in FL requires a picture ID.

And Chairman of the FL GOP has told the press in very clear terms that main reason for the FL law was to keep the minority vote down.

Link?

jhmd, do you favor voter ID laws before the mechanisms for free and easy IDs are in place?

Here's one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/jim-greer-florida-voting-laws_n_2192802.html

"Greer also acknowledged that the effort to restrict early voting would directly affect turnout among Florida's African Americans, a demographic that consistently supports Democrats.

“The sad thing about that is yes, there is prejudice and racism in the party but the real prevailing thought is that they don’t think minorities will ever vote Republican,” he told the Post."

When was the last time you flew?

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/04/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-can-you-fly.html

Did the gnome that steals your socks and car keys run off with your ID? Did your license expire and you don’t have time to renew it before you travel? Did you lose your wallet? Did you simply forget your ID at home? While it is much easier to go through screening with the proper identification, you’re not going to cause a snafu if you don’t have it.

If you’re 17 or younger, no problem… you don’t need ID to travel. If you’re 18 or older, no worries… you can still travel.

Eat shit, jhmd

I've lost my ID in between the ticket counter and TSA and was able to go through security. The process is just a little more involved.

I've lost my ID in between the ticket counter and TSA and was able to go through security. The process is just a little more involved.

But you wouldn't be allowed to vote if you lost your ID from the time you left your car or bus or walk and the time you checked in to vote. You have a constitutional right to vote. You don't have a constitutional right to ride on an airplane.

Good luck checking your luggage before you get on that plane without your photo ID.

Here's one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/jim-greer-florida-voting-laws_n_2192802.html

"Greer also acknowledged that the effort to restrict early voting would directly affect turnout among Florida's African Americans, a demographic that consistently supports Democrats.

“The sad thing about that is yes, there is prejudice and racism in the party but the real prevailing thought is that they don’t think minorities will ever vote Republican,” he told the Post."

Surprisingly honest from a politician.

Right. We've got a lot bigger problems if there are a statistically significant number of people who lack the ability to get an identification card for free. If voting is an insurmountable problem, then how do you get through life?

At least we've got over the idea that everybody has an ID card because you can't live without them and moved on to the lazy/bootstraps argument.

The funny thing about the voter ID stuff is that the most logical answer -- a viable national ID -- would never be championed by the GOP because of the NRA. Just makes all this voter ID stuff even more transparent for what it is than it already is.

jhmd, do you favor voter ID laws before the mechanisms for free and easy IDs are in place?

C'mon dude. Stop living in your own inconsequential world.

Here's an interesting quote from the TSA blog, which you might find instructive:

"Adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a valid U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID does not necessarily mean a passenger won't be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone's identity, like using publicly available databases." (emphasis added for the hard-headed, true believers).

In other words, through one means or another, they obtain the end of verifying your identity, either through the use of the "required" (their term) i.d. or failing that far more efficient method, the alternate method of crosschecking your identity through publicly available databases. That's the very thing I'm asking with voting.

The. Very. Thing.

Feel free to keep missing the point, though.

Last edited:
But you wouldn't be allowed to vote if you lost your ID from the time you left your car or bus or walk and the time you checked in to vote. You have a constitutional right to vote. You don't have a constitutional right to ride on an airplane.

Sure you would. It's called casting a provisional ballot. You can learn more here: http://ncelectionconnection.com/voting-in-nc/#six

#RJsarrogance

Back