• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Clarence Clemons

I should've specified LIVING sax players. Those guys haven't exactly been on MTV or VH1 or received any kind of mass media attention in eons, and were never pop culture icons the was CC and Kenny G (ugh) were.

There is something to be said for expanding the horizons. I was in my early 20's before I knew anything about Coltrane, but I retreated from MTV allegiance and looked around to what else was out there. Haven't stopped yet. Anyone who would do that would eventually find out who Clarence Clemmons was. Those who choose to just keep their status quo would never know.

Can we just blame this generational bitching on rj's non-linked original post? :)

rj often starts threads announcing a death of a person that less than 10% of the board has heard of: either some Philly legend or somebody he doesn't feel got their deserved accolades (maybe Gil Scott-Heron was the most recent), and tells us why we should know more about this person. Surprised by his relative silence on this thread. Maybe is saving it in Clemons passes away.

I would think much more of the board has "heard of" Clarence Clemons.

He helped take Bruce from the small club to the arenas.

When I was 20, if I went back twenty years, I would have had to know who played bass for Buddy Holly.

Waylon Jennings, for a while.

I had no idea who played in Glen Miller's orchestra (my parents' music), but classic rock has a much bigger footprint than Glen or even Buddy. And there's the internet.

Having said that, I can't name many band members other than the front man for the bands that came along after my musical window of interest (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc.), even though I've heard and like some of their music.

CCMZ3_550_564.jpg

Man this sucks and for those on this thread who have no clue who he was that sucks as well. You missed out on a great musician.

My uncles facebook status: "This is a weird Father's Day so far! Woke and a read the news that Springsteen's saxophone player "The Big Man" Clarence Clemons had passed....their music, helped shape my life! Be thankful for the time, the friends, the family that we have...one never knows what the next day will bring."

my cousin's: "I don't care how gay this sounds...rip Clarence Clemons...your solo in jungleland was career defining..."

Back