• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roanoke VA Reporter & Cameraman Shot Dead on Live TV

If I took my guns to the police station, would they destroy them for me?

This thing where something terrible happens, and someone says that we need to figure out how to ensure these terrible things don't happen in the future, but then they are immediately criticized for "politicizing" the terrible thing is really fucking crazy pills.

I vaguely remember hearing that police stations would do it, but maybe I am mistaken.

Depends on your state and maybe municipality or county. Pretty sure anywhere will let you surrender a weapon but some states will force PDs to re-sell to FFLs instead of destroying.

Any strict gun control policy - which I am in favor of - needs to be alongside a sharp demilitarization of the police force.

I do think the Black Panthers et al. made some good points about the only guns being in the hands of an oppressive government. A reduction in weaponry at the police level and national military level would do a great deal to ease my mind.

I don't even care about what we do anymore. Just. Do. Something.

Anything. Seriously. Can we at least agree that we can't just keep doing nothing?

No, because the problem is that doing something inevitably entails "changing the gun culture" in this country or some sort of dopey cosmetic change to guns made by politicians who think they look scary. "Changing the gun culture" is a nice backhanded way of saying "convince those rednecks and NRA members that they don't need their guns", even though the "gun culture" is really not responsible for the gun violence. More of an issue is the increased desensitization to violence and raising generations of kids whose social interactions consist of talking trash on the latest COD game or trolling people on social media. The inhumanity starts there and starts early and that problem will never be addressed adequately through any government measure.

How is "gun culture" not responsible for gun violence?

Flanagan appears to have been in his early 40s at least, judging from his 1995 college degree. Kind of old to have been raised trolling people on SM. Was he a big COD player?

My only hope is that we have an entire generation of people who are growing up with this widespread coverage of these horrific shootings and that maybe 10 years from now enough of the olds will die off that we can get a majority behind doing something about our gun control laws. Similar to how the gay marriage thing went.

Not sure if it will ever happen to be honest though

No, because the problem is that doing something inevitably entails "changing the gun culture" in this country or some sort of dopey cosmetic change to guns made by politicians who think they look scary. "Changing the gun culture" is a nice backhanded way of saying "convince those rednecks and NRA members that they don't need their guns", even though the "gun culture" is really not responsible for the gun violence. More of an issue is the increased desensitization to violence and raising generations of kids whose social interactions consist of talking trash on the latest COD game or trolling people on social media. The inhumanity starts there and starts early and that problem will never be addressed adequately through any government measure.

meh

Christ almighty. Can we please go a week between mass shootings before politicizing video games and trash talk?

Any strict gun control policy - which I am in favor of - needs to be alongside a sharp demilitarization of the police force.

I do think the Black Panthers et al. made some good points about the only guns being in the hands of an oppressive government. A reduction in weaponry at the police level and national military level would do a great deal to ease my mind.

Wake kids are a riot. SMDH

2crwvft.jpg

One of my ex-employees was bitten by a moccasin while fishing from the banks of the James river in Richmond. He said the worst part is that the damn thing wouldn't let go of his arm. He had to whack the snake and arm against a tree several times to get it off of him.

I would have died of fright before the venom got me.

Note to self: Don't tube down the James again.

Flanagan appears to have been in his early 40s at least, judging from his 1995 college degree. Kind of old to have been raised trolling people on SM. Was he a big COD player?

And as I said, this is nothing more than a workplace shooting. I don't understand why people are having the same reaction to it as they did to Columbine, etc...

gun culture keeps guns easily available. gun violence is a result of guns being easy to obtain.

this isn't rocket science

And as I said, this is nothing more than a workplace shooting. I don't understand why people are having the same reaction to it as they did to Columbine, etc...

Because it was live on tv you dumbass...there is HD video of the act being committed....people are seeing a murder live.

You are so fucking dense.

And this guy used previous acts of violence as justification for this act.

And I would be willing to bet this will either be copycatted or someone will use this in a justification or "manifesto" for a later crime.

Each of these stupid acts build on the rest.

Back