• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

Yea but when athletes have no intention of finishing semesters once the season is over because they know they're transferring, that is education out the window. Clawson basically said some guys are doing what they're supposed to be (Christian Turner, Cooley), and finishing the semester through exams and staying in practice, and some guys just left. It seemed like from the reporting and Clawson's words that the guys that stayed around are the guys that actually wanted to stay but were informed they had to transfer because all of the roster spots had already been filled. That's another huge problem created by the covid year and transfer portal, that even a guy as dedicated to his players as Clawson has to chanse guys off the roster prematurely because of the craziness and uncertainty of roster management.
One of my favorite stories along this line occurred maybe 10 years or so ago: UCLA signed a gal from Australia to pitch softball in the spring. She shows up on campus in January, registers as a freshman, proceeds to lead the team to the NCAA championship ( a single college softball pitcher will often throw the majority of innings for a team, including back-to-back games when a championship is on the line). She left and went back to Australia after the championship, having never attended a single class. Pretty sure the NCAA came up with some sort of rule to prevent that in the future.
I'm sure there are tons of 1-and-done basketball players who in the past went to little to no classes in the spring, but with NIL unless you're a sure lottery pick it probably behooves you to stay eligible or another year just in case a college "offer" exceeds an NBA or lower league contract.

One of my favorite stories along this line occurred maybe 10 years or so ago: UCLA signed a gal from Australia to pitch softball in the spring. She shows up on campus in January, registers as a freshman, proceeds to lead the team to the NCAA championship ( a single college softball pitcher will often throw the majority of innings for a team, including back-to-back games when a championship is on the line). She left and went back to Australia after the championship, having never attended a single class. Pretty sure the NCAA came up with some sort of rule to prevent that in the future.
I'm sure there are tons of 1-and-done basketball players who in the past went to little to no classes in the spring, but with NIL unless you're a sure lottery pick it probably behooves you to stay eligible or another year just in case a college "offer" exceeds an NBA or lower league contract.
I mean high level athletes at state schools haven't been going to class for decades, that's not new. Ray Rice famously showed up for like the third time of the semester to a math class at Rutgers, not knowing there was a test that day, and got up and said "Ray Ray don't take no tests" and walked out of the room.

Let’s not forget that Duke players have been attending NC Central for decades.

Let’s not forget that Duke players have been attending NC Central for decades.
It’s football coach said NCCU was near Duke, UNC and RTP, thus making it a quality university as compared to JSU. Osmosis, I guess.

Dabo wasn't funneling money to players the way Smart was at UGA before you could hide it behind the term NIL. Clemson is trying to get an NIL collective going to do that work for him now, but yea I'm pretty confident in saying Dabo wasn't the kind of coach that was going around offering bags to high schoolers three years ago. One of the big lessons for me from all this garbage related to manipulating NIL rules is that paying recruits was way less widespread than I had thought. I'm sure boosters sweeten players' time on campus quite frequently, but I don't think (particularly in basketball but also in football) that as many programs were throwing bags to recruits as I had thought previously.

Christ, before you were just a pretentious young dude who thinks he knows more than everyone else. Now we know you are naive as well.

What the fuck do you think IPTAY has been about all these years?

🤦‍♂️

Clemson went on probation after they won the national championship in 1981. 1981.

It was announced right before their game against us in Japan.

Conor has scoop. Pay for Rivals if you want it.
I just searched Hartman on Twitter and the first three videos were Clawson talking about tampering, a girl getting beat up for snitching, and an overweight couple having sex.

Looks like the chatter is the same as it has been. Expecting/wanting him to transfer to ND. That would really suck since we play them next year. Although, I could see him playing against Wake being a patented blow-up game so maybe we’d actually finally beat them.

Back