• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

So, DJ has a FEDX cup now and 22 wins I think, but one major. Is that enough for most to take his career so far over Brook’s 7 total wins, but 4 of those being majors? I’m on the fence, 4 major trophies on the mantel is pretty awesome still.

Johnson has been on tour about 6 years more than Koepka. Cutting Johnson some slack for this time he was absent for personal reasons, I'd rate their careers about even. I discount majors (what I call the Andy North Rule). It is interesting how the announcers dance around Johnson's never explained absence a few years ago.

It's kind of cool watching the evolution of DJ, for several years he seemed to get by on raw talent and was held back by too many brain farts, but to me he really seems to be figuring out the mental side of the game now.

It's kind of cool watching the evolution of DJ, for several years he seemed to get by on raw talent and was held back by too many brain farts, but to me he really seems to be figuring out the mental side of the game now.

He really has figured it out.
He’s got huge physical skills and I’m guessing that Mr Gretzky has helped him with the mental aspects.

Seems crazy, but the first of event of the PGA's 2020-21 season will be played this weekend. The Safeway Open in Napa starts on Thursday.

Next weekend, (September 17-20), the USGA will hold the US Open at Wingfoot.

The commentators said yesterday that DJ had never played Wingfoot. How can that be?

Because he wasn't in the field the last time it was there in the mid 2000s when Ogilvy won when Monty double bogeyed the 18th from the fairway with a mid iron. I'd surmise that the majority of the field next week has never played Winged Foot. I don't think they've had a US Am or international event there either since that last US Open.

Seems crazy, but the first of event of the PGA's 2020-21 season will be played this weekend. The Safeway Open in Napa starts on Thursday.

Next weekend, (September 17-20), the USGA will hold the US Open at Wingfoot.

Have to think there won't be a lot of guys flying from Atlanta to Cali then back to NY.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_U.S._Open_(golf)

Mickelson also had a double on the final hole. Sounds like 18 is very tough.

First, I am not a fan of Figjam Phil. That said, his double was way more easy to defend than Monty's because Phil was Phil. He'd been wild with the driver all day but still pulled driver and proceeded to hit it into corporate tent jail. Then, instead of pitching it back in the fairway, he stayed true to form and went for the green on a typical Phil hero shot and hit a tree. That's why Monty's choke was so much more sumptuous. Dude was in the middle of the fairway with a 7 or 8 iron and chunked it into the rough 20-25 yards short, and took 4 more shots from there. Not quite van de Veldian, but still pretty epic. And given that Monty is probably my most hated golfer ever, that was some of my favorite 7-8 minutes of golf action.

And that's not the only tough hole. My recollection was that course was extremely tough, and you don't have to trick it up to keep scores around par. I think Ogilvy won it with +5. That's Harrington at 40 mph winds Birkdale territory. Looking forward to next week.

Johnson has been on tour about 6 years more than Koepka. Cutting Johnson some slack for this time he was absent for personal reasons, I'd rate their careers about even. I discount majors (what I call the Andy North Rule). It is interesting how the announcers dance around Johnson's never explained absence a few years ago.

I’d also rate their careers about even, but only BECAUSE of majors. Other than majors, it’s 23-7.

I kind of think DJ because of the # of wins and the fact he does have a major has the better “career” so far, but Brooks has the greater accomplishment with 4 majors so far and to have done so with back to back US Opens and back to back PGA’s enhances that.

PINEHURST, N.C. – In an effort to expand its impact in golf and extend its mission to champion and advance the game, the USGA will establish “Golf House Pinehurst” in North Carolina, to include a new equipment-testing facility, innovation hub, museum/visitors center and office by 2023, and host five U.S. Open Championships in the golf-rich state by 2047.

The announcement adds four U.S. Open Championships to be contested the famed Pinehurst No. 2 course – in 2029, 2035, 2041 and 2047 – to the already scheduled 2024 event. The decision accelerates the USGA’s strategy to stage its premier golf championship at America’s most iconic venues with greater frequency. By doing so, Pinehurst Resort & Country Club will serve as the USGA’s first anchor site for the U.S. Open.

https://www.pinehurst.com/news/usga...and-five-u-s-open-championships-at-pinehurst/

Because he wasn't in the field the last time it was there in the mid 2000s when Ogilvy won when Monty double bogeyed the 18th from the fairway with a mid iron. I'd surmise that the majority of the field next week has never played Winged Foot. I don't think they've had a US Am or international event there either since that last US Open.

I guess I assumed these guys would make a point of playing all the US Open courses at some time or another. After all, these are some to the greatest courses in the world.

It may not be surprising that DJ hasn't played a tournament round at Wingfoot, given that the course only periodically shows up on the US Open rotation, but it is kind of surprising that DJ has never played a round there. It's pretty common for the world's elite golfers to play non-tournament rounds on the best courses in the country, especially when those courses are likely to host majors at some point (which would include Wingfoot), and DJ has been a pro golfer (and among the world's best) for 13+ years. I'm sure DJ has had opportunities to play there.

Koepka officially withdraws from US Open. Dude has been very injury plagued during his short career.

Koepka officially withdraws from US Open. Dude has been very injury plagued during his short career.

That's a shame. A DJ and Brooks 2/3 of a threesome would've been entertaining, throw in Bryson as the 3rd and it would'be been popcorn worthy.

Back