• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

The comments are valid but I really like the look of this course. I really like the barrancas and the irregularly-shaped bunkers with the deep rough around them. I like how you often step off one green to the next tee. There are lots of birdies out there but the course has held up pretty well after the first day. The holes where all the drives feed into the same area are annoying - you have to hold your breath and hope you don't end up in a divot.

What did he say?
One of the best and gutsiest performances in major history. Called the 2nd shot on 14 either the gutsiest or most clutch shot in US Open history. Just ridiculous hyperbole. Also way too hard on Rory.

One of the best and gutsiest performances in major history. Called the 2nd shot on 14 either the gutsiest or most clutch shot in US Open history. Just ridiculous hyperbole. Also way too hard on Rory.
Good lord. If you asked me to come up with a list of the 20 best shots in US Open history I don't even think Clark's name would cross my mind.

Paul Azinger was in truly top form yesterday - and by top form, I mean unbelievably arrogant and terrible. Johnny Miller like.

Rory certainly do anything to blow it, but he didn't really do anything to win it either. I think Rory probably thought Wyndam would fold and Ricky probably would (and did) too and if he could shoot part to a couple under he'd win.

Agree. Clark's chip on 9 was a thing of beauty, and Azinger's continued adamancy that it wouldn't get inside 15-20 feet, as it rolled down to 7 feet, was both hilarious and cringeworthy for a golf fan.

Good lord. If you asked me to come up with a list of the 20 best shots in US Open history I don't even think Clark's name would cross my mind.
Yeah Nicklaus hitting the freaking flag on 17 at Pebble in 72" with a butter knife 1 iron in the final round wasn't as clutch. Yeah whatever Brandel :rolleyes:

I liked how Azinger kept talking about how great Rory was hitting it like it was a foregone conclusion he was going to win as Clark kept maintaining a lead the whole time.

I liked how Azinger kept talking about how great Rory was hitting it like it was a foregone conclusion he was going to win as Clark kept maintaining a lead the whole time.
To be fair, I doubt many people other than Clark's family wanted him to win the thing.

The comments are valid but I really like the look of this course. I really like the barrancas and the irregularly-shaped bunkers with the deep rough around them. I like how you often step off one green to the next tee. There are lots of birdies out there but the course has held up pretty well after the first day. The holes where all the drives feed into the same area are annoying - you have to hold your breath and hope you don't end up in a divot.
Agreed. I liked the set-up and look of the course. And I think 6 might be a better driveable par 4 than 10 at Riviera. The par 3s were a bit over hyped, with 15 being a disappointment. I don't know that any of the par 3s are better than 4 or 6 at Riviera. And LACC was longer overall and had more long par 4s than Riviera, but I don't think it played that much tougher than Riviera. One of the many things I love about Riviera is how tough it is without being that long.

I was a bit disappointed Clark won - was rooting for Ricky then Rory after Ricky quickly exited the scene. But Clark seems like a good dude, and he's really turned his game up a notch this year. And I agree that Clark isn't likely going away anytime soon with the way he's played this year.

The ticket situation was the issue of LACC. Members buying up huge blocks of tickets so only ~4,500/day were even available on the market at the beginning of the tournament is crazy for a U.S. Open. And that there were only 9,000 publicly available since 14,000 were for suite/corporate tents for the maximum capacity allowed. LACC apparently tried to buy the entire allotment, so there would be 0 general admission tickets.

That is shameful for the tournament, and that alone should keep LACC off the rotation. Though apparently USGA make a killing in revenue, so I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again.

LACC as a golf course only was fantastic. Loved watching it and after getting abused round 1 was very difficult.

LACC as a us open host was absolutely atrocious and an embarrassment and they should not get it in 2039. Limiting the tickets is shameful. If you want to put your course on display do it, if you don't want to then don't. No Juice out there at all.

Had high hopes, but agree that LACC was pretty disappointing overall. Very strange to see the leaders tee off with like 20 people clapping, and the first round debacle really damaged the event overall. You hear for weeks about a short par 3 being impossible to hit and how it's this amazingly strategic hole then guys just plunk aces and kick-ins all week. Cool course for sure, but also not a fan of making grass around bunkers in the heart of a hole borderline unplayable. It just makes so many approaches and recoveries more about luck than skill. Most of the time you were better off missing by 30 yards or in a creek bed than you were being a yard short next to a bunker. The whole thing just didn't feel like a US Open from start to finish - I think multiple other elevated events have been better tournaments overall.

LACC really didn't test accuracy off the tee at all either, which has to be part of a US Open, IMO

Back