• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

What are the chances of me getting from Asheville to Atlanta on Monday morning for a 1pm flight to Hawaii? We've got a wedding in Ashville this weekend and then a trip to Hawaii for a conference leaving Monday. We will probably take our 4 wheel drive truck.

IMO not good. Heavy snow along that path. Just leaving Asheville will be challenging.

Snow starting in Asheville late Sat all through Sunday Afternoon, Snow starting in the ATL for Departure.:
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ga/atlanta

My wife texted her friend to say we are probably not coming to the wedding and apparently the friend is pretty pissed at her.

I mean, if you plan your wedding for Asheville in January, you gotta know there is at least a chance of weather messing things up, right?

Just hit the store for our snow weekend provisions. Making pizza Sat night and beouf bourguignon Sunday. Wife gonna make chocolate croissants one morning and might make a Dutch baby as well the other. Stocked up on wine and gonna stock up on beer tomorrow at work. Hitting the record store Saturday morning for some new tunes. Will hopefully take the boy sledding in our yard. Sleds were all sold out so just gonna use some cardboard. Should be an awesome weekend.

Catamount’s dad was skiing around our neighborhood in Winston during that 93 storm. I think we were out of school for a week and a half. Shit ruled.

I remember two big storms growing up when we missed two weeks each. 7th grade and maybe 9th grade? (I think we're the same year)

One of these we had to go to school for an hour extra every day to make it up. The other time we had to go to school on Saturdays.

Storm slowed down just enough that I think I’ll be okay with my 630 AM flight

a579047489c88f14acf382e71c131122.jpg

How quickly does Asheville recover from a snow storm this big? Will the roads be clear by Monday afternoon? Or, does the whole place shut down for a week?

How quickly does Asheville recover from a snow storm this big? Will the roads be clear by Monday afternoon? Or, does the whole place shut down for a week?

depends on the severity of the storm and when it stops accumulating. NC local governments are not equipped or staffed to clear out a foot of snow quickly. Also public works departments across the state are ridiculously short-staffed so having enough employees to drive all the plows might be an issue. I know it is with some Triad local governments.

yeah the main roads should be fine. depending on where your wedding is there could be some issues. last big snow storm we were here for was in like 2019 I wanna say and it took maybe 24 hours for them to get our road, and my wife sometimes has difficulty with the roads around her school in Weaverville (in the middle of nowhere so low on the list).

Also public works departments across the state are ridiculously short-staffed so having enough employees to drive all the plows might be an issue. I know it is with some Triad local governments.

This might be a huge problem that few are considering. Lot's of outages from Omicron.

Weather forecast consensus for Winston has moved from 8in of snow to 5in “wintry mix” disappointing, ice storms fucking suck

Weather forecast consensus for Winston has moved from 8in of snow to 5in “wintry mix” disappointing, ice storms fucking suck

yuge numbers up in the Burg ! every time you complain the snow storm gets a few inches taller here !

depends on the severity of the storm and when it stops accumulating. NC local governments are not equipped or staffed to clear out a foot of snow quickly. Also public works departments across the state are ridiculously short-staffed so having enough employees to drive all the plows might be an issue. I know it is with some Triad local governments.

aeac962efcb6ee2d9d8aaa92a0208569.jpg

Fuckkkkkkk

We lose power every time I fart. Last time there was 1" of ice we were without power for 3 days.

Fuckkkkkkk

We lose power every time I fart. Last time there was 1" of ice we were without power for 3 days.

What’s really fun is when the power is out for long enough that you run out of regular candles and you have to burn all your scented candles at the same time and you get a real cosmic gumbo of non-complimentary headache inducing scents filling your house

Back