• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

I’m curious who Maz was fighting. I wanted to see more of her character.

Doesn’t matter who she was fighting, it wasn’t in the movie so it’s irrelevant.

It wasn’t. I’m just curious. Just because I want to know something doesn’t mean it’s absence is a flaw in the movie.

Gotta make sure the Marvel rubes keep coming to the theater in between their movies

Feel free to publish your fanfics, guys.

They might as well have had Tony Stark doing that call with Hux at the beginning

He spun her around to face him. “I’ve got a list of naughty things I’d like to do to a nice girl like you.”

Rey’s mouth fell open slightly. No one had ever spoken to her like this. She felt betrayed by the flush that came over her. She shouldn’t like it.

She shouldn’t.

But she did.

After a lot of thinking and reading dumb millennial think-pieces, I've decided I'm meh on all of this. They're never going to live up to the original trilogy, or at least my nostalgic idea of them. My criticisms aren't anti-feminist or fanboi or dudebro, they're just the ruminations of a sad 80s kid who lived nothing but star wars for more than fifteen years. my day is done. Enjoy this you phdeacs with kids and Disney passes. I'm just going to live my life

This is kind of an inevitability with the sequels that our generation long pined for. I mean, we get them 30 years later and obviously Luke isn't going to be kicking anybody's ass like he was when he was younger. His story, and those of the original trilogy, must ultimately conclude in some way. Reading all the "dumb millennial think-pieces" made me realize that I don't give a flying fuck about their theories and need for closure. Whatever. They aren't entitled to shit. Those guys didn't actually grow up on Star Wars the way kids born from about 1962 to 1975 did. They just didn't. They didn't grow up playing with Star Wars figures, watching the commercials, going apeshit if C3PO went on some stupid show. So they can like the story, they can nerd out over the Star Wars lore and cartoons, and they may even be bigger fans, but they didn't live it. I suppose Mark Hamill's complaints can carry some weight, but I think in the end he was sold on Luke's story too.

The most important thing about this last movie was how it handled Luke and whether his departure was ultimately satisfying to the kids who practically worshiped him growing up. My opinion is that his story was concluded satisfactorily. Leia I really don't care much about. I mean, she kind of made my dick stir in ROTJ when I was 11 and I was sad when she died, but her story is only there for nostalgia now. Han's dead. Luke's dead. Leia is irrelevant to me. I liked Luke's story arc, am meh on Leia, and realize that I'm very meh on the current crop of characters, but that isn't their fault. I'm not growing up on them like the little boy who sat next to me in the theater is. That kid was so into the movie and it was awesome. That is who these movies are ultimately for now. I'll still watch them and groan that they've become too quippy or shouldn't tell a story through a flashback or shouldn't have Carrie Poppins shit, but ultimately that is unimportant to the new generation of Star Wars nerds. If it wasn't their story before this film, it certainly is now.

And I'll keep watching them.

As we were leaving the Friday 9:30 showing last week, we saw an elderly couple get into a shuttle bus headed to a local assisted living facility. Those people were about our age when the original trilogy was in the theaters.

I usually hate your takes, ELC, and that one wasn't perfect, but you've very well expressed the fundamental divide here between those of us looking for closure and those people looking for a living, breathing star wars universe. I may have been born a good ten years after the "star wars kids" generation you speak of, but i very much fit into it based on the way i grew up with the films. And my childhood coincided perfectly with the Special Editions, perhaps analagously with the chronology you describe. I loved what they did with luke.

Some of it is the nostalgic feeling of loss for the entire EU which defined my childhood; part of it is hating the PHDeac dudebros who i (perhaps unfairly) feel have adopted my thing without doing the proper catechism; part of it is the kitschy nostalgia that feels necessary in these movies but takes away from the urgency and seriousness of the originals. ELC puts it well: these new movies aren't for me. They're not for those of us who obsessed about star wars for the twenty years of non-film output. They're for the next generation who deserve their own thing. I guess i just find it discomfiting and weird when phdeac-types find it all so intriguing.

I guess the big difference between my post and ELC's is that i feel like the new generation *is* entitled to their shit, no matter how much i don't like it.

I usually hate your takes, ELC, and that one wasn't perfect, but you've very well expressed the fundamental divide here between those of us looking for closure and those people looking for a living, breathing star wars universe. I may have been born a good ten years after the "star wars kids" generation you speak of, but i very much fit into it based on the way i grew up with the films. And my childhood coincided perfectly with the Special Editions, perhaps analagously with the chronology you describe. I loved what they did with luke.

Some of it is the nostalgic feeling of loss for the entire EU which defined my childhood; part of it is hating the PHDeac dudebros who i (perhaps unfairly) feel have adopted my thing without doing the proper catechism; part of it is the kitschy nostalgia that feels necessary in these movies but takes away from the urgency and seriousness of the originals. ELC puts it well: these new movies aren't for me. They're not for those of us who obsessed about star wars for the twenty years of non-film output. They're for the next generation who deserve their own thing. I guess i just find it discomfiting and weird when phdeac-types find it all so intriguing.

I kind of agree, but I would call this movie the passing of the torch between two Star Wars generations. The final resolution of all of the original characters felt good to me.

25734149_857018487811863_8504562656850674891_o.jpg

This is kind of an inevitability with the sequels that our generation long pined for. I mean, we get them 30 years later and obviously Luke isn't going to be kicking anybody's ass like he was when he was younger. His story, and those of the original trilogy, must ultimately conclude in some way. Reading all the "dumb millennial think-pieces" made me realize that I don't give a flying fuck about their theories and need for closure. Whatever. They aren't entitled to shit. Those guys didn't actually grow up on Star Wars the way kids born from about 1962 to 1975 did. They just didn't. They didn't grow up playing with Star Wars figures, watching the commercials, going apeshit if C3PO went on some stupid show. So they can like the story, they can nerd out over the Star Wars lore and cartoons, and they may even be bigger fans, but they didn't live it. I suppose Mark Hamill's complaints can carry some weight, but I think in the end he was sold on Luke's story too.

The most important thing about this last movie was how it handled Luke and whether his departure was ultimately satisfying to the kids who practically worshiped him growing up. My opinion is that his story was concluded satisfactorily. Leia I really don't care much about. I mean, she kind of made my dick stir in ROTJ when I was 11 and I was sad when she died, but her story is only there for nostalgia now. Han's dead. Luke's dead. Leia is irrelevant to me. I liked Luke's story arc, am meh on Leia, and realize that I'm very meh on the current crop of characters, but that isn't their fault. I'm not growing up on them like the little boy who sat next to me in the theater is. That kid was so into the movie and it was awesome. That is who these movies are ultimately for now. I'll still watch them and groan that they've become too quippy or shouldn't tell a story through a flashback or shouldn't have Carrie Poppins shit, but ultimately that is unimportant to the new generation of Star Wars nerds. If it wasn't their story before this film, it certainly is now.

And I'll keep watching them.

Holy shit y'all think way too much about things. Was a cool flick.

Back