• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

The Most Breathtaking Moment in ‘The Last Jedi’ Is Also Its Greatest Threat to ‘Star Wars’ Lore

TL;DR if jumping to hyperspace into/amidst a fleet is so destructive, why wouldn't everyone do it all the time?

...Nor is it a problem that the First Order debuts “hyperspace tracking” in this movie—the very innovation that puts Holdo in the hopeless position to do what she does. Before The Last Jedi, ships in hyperspace couldn’t be tracked. In The Last Jedi, they can, thanks to some secret technology that was first teased in Rogue One. But Johnson makes clear that this is new technology, and the suitably impressed (and demoralized) Resistance adjusts its tactics accordingly.

For a fleeting instant, we hear nothing from the sound system or from any nearby spectators who are seeing the film for the first time: no breathing, no popcorn-sifting, no wrapper-wrinkling. Then we see Snoke’s B-2 bomber–shaped ship, the Supremacy, sliced into two by the passage of the now-vaporized Resistance cruiser, the Raddus. The Supremacy, its stricken smaller companions, and the Raddus’s remains hang there, suspended in a silent tableau of beautiful blue-and-red death. And at last, the score returns with a wallop, along with the actual, audible gasps and choked cries of the viewers doing double-takes at the audacity of what Holdo (and writer-director Rian Johnson) have done. Johnson lands the punch perfectly.

Holdo’s maneuver is so surprising because we haven’t seen it before—partly because its success threatens to totally destabilize the way Star Wars space combat works.
So perfectly, in fact, that much of the audience is left too punch-drunk to consider the implications. The Holdo maneuver is one of the most breathtaking moments in a film filled with striking camerawork. It’s also kind of a can of worms. Holdo’s maneuver is so surprising because we haven’t seen it before—partly because its success threatens to totally destabilize the way Star Wars space combat works...

After a lot of thinking and reading dumb millennial think-pieces, I've decided I'm meh on all of this. They're never going to live up to the original trilogy, or at least my nostalgic idea of them. My criticisms aren't anti-feminist or fanboi or dudebro, they're just the ruminations of a sad 80s kid who lived nothing but star wars for more than fifteen years. my day is done. Enjoy this you phdeacs with kids and Disney passes. I'm just going to live my life

On the ale for this one eh?

The author makes a lot of assumptions to make that maneuver seem more easy than it is.

The author makes a lot of assumptions to make that maneuver seem more easy than it is.

not really, the article talks about the area effects of jumping to hyperspace for nearby ships, not just the physically collision, all things which are referenced in other star wars media

Star Wars technology hasn’t made sense for a long time, this isn’t new. It was made worse by the prequels seemingly better use of technology than later years. Either way, Star Wars is more fantasy than sci fi, more similar to howl’s moving castle than Star Trek

the author has to operate under those assumptions, because if there was another relevant piece of information that complicated the maneuver, we would have been told about it in the film

Very true, move ship, aim ship at attacking force, hit go. With the last two actually conjecture because we don’t see those actions take place, just the ship movement.

Saw the movie tonight. Really, really liked it. While some of the tone in the first 40 minutes or so felt off, I loved how it got rid of a lot of the self seriousness that the Star Wars universe had created.

I was just thinking that maybe they can do the Bobby Ewing thing in the third movie, where we learn in the opening scene that Leia is really dead, blown out into outer space by a pair of random tie fighters, and nothing that happened after that moment ever really happened. It was all a dream from Leia as she slowly died in space. Luke is still around to mourn her and Snoke is still around to tell his back story to the nerds who give a shit.

I thought the bit where Leia gets blown to bits, yet just "wakes up" in deep space and Mary Poppins-it back to the starship was one of the dumbest piece-of-shit moments in cinematic history. So was Snopes' "I know everything Kylo Ren is thinking" bit right before the lightsaber gives him a rib tickle.

That said, the scene between Skywalker and Yoda was legit, as was Luke's proclamation that he was NOT the last Jedi, right before the focus switches to Ray rescuing her buds from the cave-in. Kylo Ren's proclamation to Ray that "you came from nothing, you ARE nothing - but not to me" right before extending his hand to her was good stuff as well.

The humor in this film returned much-needed charm to this series as well. Luke brushing off his shoulder following the bombardment was great. Finn added chuckles, as did puppet Yoda. This was the first Disney-captained film that I enjoyed, even if it was about a half-hour too long. It made me FINALLY care about the Good Guys, which is the touchstone for any Good vs Evil epic. That's this non-fanboy opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :)

Finally saw it again. Enjoyed it much, much more the second time around. noticed a big plot hole i hadn't read on here: del Toro's betrayal of Finn and Rose was to reveal to the Empire the rebels' secret evacuation of the flagship on cloaked transports. But Finn and Rose actually didn't know about that plan at all. There must have been a cut scene or something where he overhears Oscar Isaac relaying it or something. I wish that Holdo had revealed that she knew about the Finn and Rose scheme all along and that letting it proceed was a way of distracting the Empire from their escape. Plot was a bit thin there.

I love both the Yoda scene (minus his bullshit about ancient books!) and Luke throughout. He's perfect. He dies just like Obi-wan, distracting the bad guy while his friends escape.

Part i loved i hadn't properly appreciated before was luke's final moments on the rock. Close up on his face accompanied by his memorable leitmotif from ANH with the twin suns redolent of Tatooine which segues into the brand new Rey leitmotif and a closeup of her face. Just brilliant filmmaking, score and shots and production.

I assumed del Toro overhead the news while finn was talking to poe asking him to buy them time to get onto the ship. After getting caught del Toro sold the only info he had.

I assumed del Toro overhead the news while finn was talking to poe asking him to buy them time to get onto the ship. After getting caught del Toro sold the only info he had.

They were yapping a lot in jail before they noticed he was there too.

Back