• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State has replaced Wake

This is not true.

Draft Express has him listed as the 51st selection in 2014 Mock Draft. He is a tweener with a flat shot, limited post moves and limited defensive ability. He plays below the rim except for transition offense. He has no exceptional skill set. He has not shown progress in any area except maybe rebounding and unfortunately for him, his 3 pt FG% is going to kill his stock this year. What am I missing? Why would he take a chance on being one of the last 10 picks in the draft who almost never make rosters?
I'm hoping to God that he stays because he means so much to our team and is a really good college player. Without him next year, we'd be screwed. I'm not trying to trash him.

Not looking at numbers but I feel that Teague, JJ, and CJ got substantially better their soph years. I don't think many thought the first 2 would be easy first rounders going into that year.

Off nights would be an understatement. When your top two scorers account for 15 (Richmond in a 2 point loss) and 10 (Nebraska), you are not winning. If they had only had an 'off' night we would have beaten Richmond and at least been in the game with Nebraska.

The biggest jump for non-centers is between their frosh and soph years, the odds are one or two guys are going to make a big leap when you have this many frosh. I would also suggest that most of our frosh have shown more maturity than most frosh show this early in their careers. I find it hard to believe that out of CMM, Madison, Tree, Moto, Devin and Cav, none of them are going to step up. Just watching Devin you can tell he absolutely hates to lose, so I'm betting he'll come back with an improved offensive game.

Oh and lets not forget Green will be back.

If you have a good team you are winning when you play against such bad teams, or at least you aren't losing by 16 to a team as bad as Nebraska. We don't have a good team, and it isn't just because Travis and CJ aren't scoring at least 15 points every night.

I do think we can replace CJ's production, but that doesn't make us better, that just makes us the same. I see team PPG holding constant or increasing slightly. In other words, the only way I see us being a significantly better team is if we are significantly better on defense.

Over the last 10 years, how many of our players have made a big jump between their freshman and sophomore years? How many of those jumps occurred independently from a substantial increase in minutes?

Hard to separate what goes on behind the scenes (individual workouts, working with coaches, etc.) and the increased minutes, but I'd toss out some names: CJ Harris, Jeff Teague, Chas McFarland. Those three had pretty noticeable developments. You'd want to crunch a load of data to figure it out, but it doesn't seem far-fetched to say that the frosh-soph jump is typically the biggest improvement.

Without usage rate numbers and pace adjusted stats at my fingertips, it's hard to show the improvement in some players, like Ish Smith, who looked better but played less.

Off nights would be an understatement. When your top two scorers account for 15 (Richmond in a 2 point loss) and 10 (Nebraska), you are not winning. If they had only had an 'off' night we would have beaten Richmond and at least been in the game with Nebraska.

The biggest jump for non-centers is between their frosh and soph years, the odds are one or two guys are going to make a big leap when you have this many frosh. I would also suggest that most of our frosh have shown more maturity than most frosh show this early in their careers. I find it hard to believe that out of CMM, Madison, Tree, Moto, Devin and Cav, none of them are going to step up. Just watching Devin you can tell he absolutely hates to lose, so I'm betting he'll come back with an improved offensive game.

Oh and lets not forget Green will be back.

Your platitudes are well-spoken, but reality suggests that only one of these guys are going to experience a significant jump and there is such a thing as a sophomore wall (just ask Chase).

I know you didn't read my post, but once again, let's look at our freshmen production:

Devin (5.8 ppg)
Tyler (5.8 ppg)
Aaron (3.5 ppg)
Madison (4.5 ppg)
Andre (0.9 ppg)
Daniel (1.4 ppg)

CJ is responsible for 18% of our possessions. Travis is responsible for 20%. Should both guys leave, that opens up 40% of our offensive possessions for the newcomers. But, college basketball tells us that really only one guys is going to get a lion's-share of those possessions.

CMM seems the most likely candidate and his stats per 40 minutes (better than pace adjusted since we're speaking in PURE hypotheticals) are as follows:
-11.6 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.9 assists (2.8 turnovers), and 0.8 steals.

Those stats are representative, more or less, CMM with CJ's current minutes. Factor in the sophomore bump and you're maybe at 13, 4, and 4 as reasonable expectations for CMM's year two without CJ.

Looking at our recent big men, particularly those who came before Devin (and given how Devin has simultaneously qualitatively met and quantitatively failed to meet the expectations that many, myself included, expected from him this season), and you're looking at, best case scenario, Vytas Danelius from his freshman to his sophomore year.

Here's a good place to note a Devin vs. Vytas statistical comparison:
Devin Thomas (FR)
Per Game (24.1 mpg) - 5.8 ppg (42.3% 2FG, 50% FT), 6.6 rpg, 1.4 apg (2.4 TOpg), 0.8 spg, 1.3 bpg
Per 40 minutes pace adjusted - 9.3 p, 10.7 r, 2.2 a (3.8 TO), 1.3 s, 2.1 b

Vytas Danelius (FR)
Per Game (16.8 mpg) - 6.6 ppg (57.9% 2FG and 72.4% FT), 4.2 rpg, 0.4 apg (0.7 TOpg), 0.2 spg, 0.5 bpg
Per 40 minutes pace adjusted - 14.9 p, 9.4 r, 0.8 a (1.7 TO), 0.5 spg, 1.1 bpg.

Vytas Danelius (SO)
Per Game (30.8 mpg) - 12.3 ppg (54% 2FG, 37.5% 3FG, 78.4% FT), 7.5 rpg, 1.3 apg (2.3 TOpg), 0.5 spg, 0.8 bpg

Two things:

1) I use Vytas because he matched his freshman projections, per game, as a sophomore and was statistically and characteristically similar as a freshman to a lot of what Devin does now, but on a much better team.

2) Of our big men dating back to 2002, Vytas has been, arguably, our best big man in terms of improvement between year one and two relative to Devin Thomas. I picked Vytas over E because E's freshman year was with a jacked front court and in back of Vytas. I contend that E would have probably posted his sophomore stats as a freshmen without the glut of frontcourt talent that we had in freshman year.

Let me know, then, if the following makes sense:

Vytas, let's note, was a far better prospect (RSCI 85) coming out of HS than Devin, but even so, CMM plus Devin's best-case 12.3 and 7.5 is not enough to get us into the NCAA Tournament, which are reasonable expectations from a fourth-year coach in the ACC.

DC, your optimism is admirable. See OGB's point about where the production is coming from. Next year without CJ will be stagnant at best.

I think it's likely that we'll get more from the freshman to sophomore improvement from seven guys than we'll lose from CJ.

As for Travis leaving, I'd like to see him pull a Josh Howard and develop his three-point shot leading into his senior year before he leaves. Josh all of a sudden became deadly in his last year at Wake and I think it did a decent amount for his stock.

Frosh CJ: 27.9 mpg, 9.9 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.6 tpg, 38.5% FG, 32.4% 3FG, 81.1% FT
Soph CJ: 32.4 mpg, 10.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.5 apg, 3.2 tpg, 38.4% FG, 33.9% 3FG, 81.5% FT

Not my definition of a big leap. That came between his soph and junior years.

Frosh JJ: 29.2 mpg, 14.6 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 1.2 apg, 2.6 tpg, 48.7% FG, 28.0% 3FG, 68.9% FT
Soph JJ: 30.5 mpg, 15.0 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.0 apg, 2.4 tpg, 54.2% FG, 31.9% 3FG, 69.7% FT

Solid, but not tremendous.

Chas and Teague I would agree with. However, Deac83's statement excluded centers (or Big E would go here as well), and by Deac83's own evaluation, Teague was a "selfish player, checked out when he had to share the ball" who was "pouting, being a brat on the court when he wasn't getting the ball. Not sure you could figure that out while being recruited, but certainly not what you are looking for on your team. Add in his involvement in the 'sex scandal' and not really a character kid." Would seem pretty hypocritical for Mr. 83 now to include him on this list.

Not looking at numbers but I feel that Teague, JJ, and CJ got substantially better their soph years. I don't think many thought the first 2 would be easy first rounders going into that year.

CJ statistically did not improve as much as you think he did. He definitely got better from a fan's perspective, but his 2FG% dropped from 44.8% to 39.9% and his three point shooting improved marginally from 32.4% to 33.9%. Though his assist numbers increased by a lot (from 1.6 to 4.1 assists per 40 minutes pace adjusted, so did his turnovers, from 2.1 to 3.7 per 40 minutes pace adjusted). His PER and shooting efficiency metrics (TS% and eFG%) actually went down and he only saw marginal increases in EFF, EFF/40, WS/40, despite seeing his percentages increase substantially.

I think your point about Teague is accurate*, but not your claim about Johnson.

Here's what Draft Express wrote before his sophomore season as the 6th best prospect in the ACC (behind Gerald Henderson, Kyle Singler, Ty Lawson, Tyler Hansbrough, and Gani Lawal), after writing about him as a freshman and in high school:

Johnson has shown a lot of nice flashes already this early in his career, and appears to have a lot of potential if he puts in the work and improves on his decision-making. Barring a strong leap in multiple areas of his game this season, Johnson will likely be best served staying in school for another season, but declaring this season certainly isn’t out of the picture, especially if he can make some noticeable strides. While combo-forwards have achieved a lot more success lately in the NBA, Johnson’s potential defensive matchup problems could concern scouts, but the first round isn’t out of the picture if he can show more progress in his game.

*ETA: Let's not forget, though, that Teague was considered a prospect going into his sophomore season. DX wrote the following about Teague in October 2008 when they called him the #12 prospect in the ACC (behind [aforementioned and] James Johnson, Greivis Vasquez, KC Rivers, Tyrese Rice, Wayne Ellington, and Jack McClinton:

Teague definitely has the physical tools, scoring ability and overall talent to make it in the NBA in some capacity, but his game is still very rough around the edges, specifically with his point guard skills. If he worked hard in the offseason, given the way he finished off last season, he could definitely be on his way to a breakout season, which would certainly open up some eyes. There is still much NBA teams will want to see from him, though, namely becoming a better shooter off the dribble, hitting the weight room a little bit more, and showing better decision-making and floor general traits.

He improved on all of those things and subsequently got drafted in the first round.

Last edited:
As for Travis leaving, I'd like to see him pull a Josh Howard and develop his three-point shot leading into his senior year before he leaves. Josh all of a sudden became deadly in his last year at Wake and I think it did a decent amount for his stock.

I'm not sure that this is fair to either Josh or Travis, to be honest with you. If Josh wasn't old for his class and if he hadn't made that statement about the war in Iraq, then he would have unequivocally been a lottery pick.

Travis, at his best (as was the case this summer when he was unconscious from deep in front of scouts and NBA front offices), is a mid to low second round pick at his likely ceiling.

To compare Josh and Travis is just... For one, Josh was an elite defender and a very good slasher. At this point, Travis is a streaky shooter and a solid scrapper on the block. That's about all there is to compare.

Yeah as I said I didn't look up the numbers but was just going on feel but all that sounds about right.

Listen, I'm BuzzOut and I still think 90% of the fan base is... the other 10% has just gotten more vocal so the ardent BuzzOuters are feeling threatened. But the concerted effort to discredit everything positive that comes along with this team is ridiculous. Don't worry, we will still lose a game by 20+ to someone like Maryland at home and then everyone can celebrate.

The hand wringing over CJ and Travis production (and acting as if Travis is gone as a foregone conclusion) is silly. They by far have the highest usage on the team, and for good reason. If they weren't getting all the shots there would be something wrong. The freshman are entirely deferential to them on offense, and if you've been watching have been doing really good things elsewhere and offensively in flashes.

I don't know how good we'll be next year, I don't want Bz as the coach, and I'm hoping that as soon as we have a half-decent season Bz and Wellman can feign victory and pass the torch to someone else. But can we really not wait for Bz's inevitable turd game to act all outraged?

I'm not sure that this is fair to either Josh or Travis, to be honest with you. If Josh wasn't old for his class and if he hadn't made that statement about the war in Iraq, then he would have unequivocally been a lottery pick.

Travis, at his best (as was the case this summer when he was unconscious from deep in front of scouts and NBA front offices), is a mid to low second round pick at his likely ceiling.

To compare Josh and Travis is just... For one, Josh was an elite defender and a very good slasher. At this point, Travis is a streaky shooter and a solid scrapper on the block. That's about all there is to compare.

I recognize that Travis and Josh have different skill sets, but in 2002 we were all talking about how Josh would need to be a 2/3 in the NBA and in order to excel there he'd need to develop an outside shot. Granted, he was already a good slasher and defender, but the shot needed work. Travis will need to play 3 in the NBA as well. And since he's not as good of a slasher or defender as Josh, the shot will become that much more important.

It's been 10 years so forgive me, but I thought it was Josh's knee injury that kept him from being lottery after his junior year. He was kind of forced to come back to prove he was okay.

Listen, I'm BuzzOut and I still think 90% of the fan base is... the other 10% has just gotten more vocal so the ardent BuzzOuters are feeling threatened. But the concerted effort to discredit everything positive that comes along with this team is ridiculous. Don't worry, we will still lose a game by 20+ to someone like Maryland at home and then everyone can celebrate.

The hand wringing over CJ and Travis production (and acting as if Travis is gone as a foregone conclusion) is silly. They by far have the highest usage on the team, and for good reason. If they weren't getting all the shots there would be something wrong. The freshman are entirely deferential to them on offense, and if you've been watching have been doing really good things elsewhere and offensively in flashes.

I don't know how good we'll be next year, I don't want Bz as the coach, and I'm hoping that as soon as we have a half-decent season Bz and Wellman can feign victory and pass the torch to someone else. But can we really not wait for Bz's inevitable turd game to act all outraged?

I'm not sure if you're responding to me or to other people, but I haven't wrung my hands over either of those guys' production.

I've spent too much time talking about CJ today (all of which has been positive), but here's my take on Travis's production.

With Travis, it kind of annoys me that he's still jacking threes - I consider 3.0 attempts per 40 minutes pace adjusted while you're shooting just 25.7% to be jacking - and I'd like to see him board a bit harder, but he's had a solid statistical junior year.

It would be silly to suggest otherwise at this stage. Most notably, he's rebounding much better, turning the ball over less than during his sophomore year, and he's getting to the line a TON - all of which are laudable while maintaining his solid 2FG and FT percentages.

If we're attributing anybody's success predominately to Jeff [Redacted], then I think it has to be Travis. He came in good, but he has gotten better, by both statistical and eye tests.

Regarding his draft prospects: I heard from very reliable sources (in addition to the tweets from DX
"DraftExpress: Some NCAA counselors who may have improved their stock by showing better than expected at #adidasnations: Travis McKie, Amath M'Baye"
and Draftnet) that scouts were talking about him as a low first, high second round pick based on his play last summer. He was also labeled as the #10 NBA prospect in the ACC, behind likely first round picks McAdoo, Leslie, Plumlee, and Len, as well as Snaer, Bullock, LoBrown, Howell, and Hairston, all of whom I think will play in the league.

Givony wrote:

Despite his shortcomings defensively, McKie's strong numbers as a sophomore, young age (he's still only 19) and a very encouraging showing at the adidas Nations counselor games in Los Angeles this summer leave a lot of room for optimism about his future development. Wake Forest will be very young once again this season, so it will be interesting to see if McKie can help the team take a step forward after two disappointing years.

Factor in what I've heard from Chill about working with Travis in the off-season, the rumors about how close Travis was to leaving, how we're not going to be that much better during his senior season, and that him testing the waters is a foregone conclusion (most juniors do), and the chances that he impresses the same people he impressed last summer (few of the scouts that I've talked to will go out of their way to watch Wake this year) and keeps his name in are legit. Far greater than 0%.

Just my two, more informed than uninformed, cents. Perhaps KVegas, TITSWF, or Baby could weigh in on where Travis is psychologically.

Last edited:
I recognize that Travis and Josh have different skill sets, but in 2002 we were all talking about how Josh would need to be a 2/3 in the NBA and in order to excel there he'd need to develop an outside shot. Granted, he was already a good slasher and defender, but the shot needed work. Travis will need to play 3 in the NBA as well. And since he's not as good of a slasher or defender as Josh, the shot will become that much more important.

It's been 10 years so forgive me, but I thought it was Josh's knee injury that kept him from being lottery after his junior year. He was kind of forced to come back to prove he was okay.

It was an ankle sprain for Josh his junior year, kept him out of the Oregon game in the NCAAT that we had won by rights until Craig popped his shoulder out, joining Lepore and JHo on the bench. Would have had a fairly soft Texas team, IIRC, in the next round for a shot at the Elite Eight, but it just wasn't meant to be.

ETA: Has the NCAA changed the rule regarding testing the waters since last spring? If not, I'm not sure how feasible an option that really is, since the new deadline only gave players something like 10 days to change their minds and come back.

I was referring to his senior season. I thought it was fairly well known that Josh's age and "red-flags" (i.e. his age, his politics, and his on-and-off relationship with Mary Jane) kept him out of the lottery that year. Dallas was overjoyed when he dropped into their lap at 29.

It was an ankle sprain for Josh his junior year, kept him out of the Oregon game in the NCAAT that we had won by rights until Craig popped his shoulder out, joining Lepore and JHo on the bench. Would have had a fairly soft Texas team, IIRC, in the next round for a shot at the Elite Eight, but it just wasn't meant to be.

ETA: Has the NCAA changed the rule regarding testing the waters since last spring? If not, I'm not sure how feasible an option that really is, since the new deadline only gave players something like 10 days to change their minds and come back.

That one stung. Craig was absolutely killing Oregon before his shoulder popped.

You're right, but he'll still test the waters. I'd hope that having [Redacted] and Randolph on staff will allow him to make a good decision in regards to the NBA, in his best interest, regardless of the window.

In my understanding and especially with the new rules in place, it's usually the coaches that gauge players' draft stock at this point. [Redacted] evidently did a solid job for guys like Alec Burks and Cory Higgins (who had his Dad's help, sure, but I think the point stands), so hopefully he'll do the same for Travis.

CJ has carried the team during his winning streak so people are discounting either Bz or the team or any progress because the best player on the team is carrying the team. I think we all already knew that losing him next year would hurt.

As far as Travis, leaving early to be a 2nd round pick no matter the circumstances is stupid. Based on where he'd get drafted, if at all, it would be even better to be a UFA. It would be a terrible decision. I've seen people say they think he is gone but they've also always said that they weren't basing on anything other than their feeling.

The chances of him actually making the team would be slim... and then he is either making 18K in the D-league or off to Europe... which was waiting for him anyway if he had waited to get his degree, which he will need at some point in his life and is close to getting.

Last edited:
I like the wingspan and defensive potential as a trapping team going forward.

You have Tree. Devin has a 7'0 reach. Green is 7'2, Moto is 7'1, Mac is 6'7, McClinton is a long athletic prospect, Madison has a reach of 6'5 ... pretty athletic bunch that can narrow passing lanes and trap.

I like the wingspan and defensive potential as a trapping team going forward.

You have Tree. Devin has a 7'0 reach. Green is 7'2, Moto is 7'1, Mac is 6'7, McClinton is a long athletic prospect, Madison has a reach of 6'5 ... pretty athletic bunch that can narrow passing lanes and trap.

But again, this is where excitement about these guys sounds hypocritical from the rabidly BuzzIn crowd. The knock on Skip was always predicated on some critique of the fact that he loved to press with long athletes. Old-timers didn't want that, but now they do? Something isn't registering. (I'm actually really excited about this prospect, however.)

Back