• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Buzz, Preseason

Do you approve of the job Jeff [Redacted] is doing as Head Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hindsight is 20-20

I hate when people say that about people who you can pull up posts and polls to see they were right in foresight.

BuzzIn and BuzzWaitandSee posters gave the rest of us reasonable clear minded posters so much crap. So much of that smug "better fan" logic. You can't come back from that with "Hindsight is 20/20."

We were right. Wake lost, and continues to lose, as a result of something that should have been rectified nearly three years ago.

I'm all for joking around about this thread from about 28 months ago, but let's step down from the high horse a bit. No need to be high and mighty about it, in my opinion.

I hate when people say that about people who you can pull up posts and polls to see they were right in foresight.

BuzzIn and BuzzWaitandSee posters gave the rest of us reasonable clear minded posters so much crap. So much of that smug "better fan" logic. You can't come back from that with "Hindsight is 20/20."

Some were right, some were wrong. I never participated in that poll, but I would've voted Buzz Wait and See. I'm now throughly BuzzOut.

Based on his career record it would difficult to have been anything other than Bz out from day one. The guy truly was and is a career caching loser.

If memory serves, I was buzzwait back when this board started. I don't recall giving anyone shit about being buzzout.

I think there were different factions of the BuzzWaitandSee. I wasn't convinced, hated the hire from the start, but thought let's give him a shot. I would have been thrilled if he had been canned after year 1, but wasn't so rolled with it until about halfway in year 2 when I couldn't stand the shitty ass basketball we played.

This season and next is going to be like kids finding out Santa Claus isn't real one by one.

You want to believe and you want to have hope, but soon enough reality will slap you in the face. Just a matter of time.

#DVNostradamus

Definitely Buzz-waiting. He will need 2 more years after this one to have a fair assessment.

I think we have given him his 3-4 years to determine if he can succeed or not :). Time for the axe. No matter who we hire I think it would be a bad precedent to give them less than 3-4 years to prove themselves. It is not fair to the coach otherwise. It was pretty clear that Bz was going to fail, but that was Wellman's mistake not Bz's. If you fire a coach before 3 years it is going to seriously hamper your ability to sign a quality coach to replace him. We screwed ourselves when Wellman hired Bz, but I wouldn't have supported firing him after year 1 or 2. Would have made the leap after year 3 when it was clear that NOTHING he was doing was having any positive effects on the program.

If we don't fire him after year 4 we have officially gone full retard on college basketball.

To be fair, I don't think any of us realized exactly how bad the situation was that VCU game hit. Even after the Stetson loss, there was some optimism and reasoning that we were watching a group of inconsistent freshmen learning to play together. After the VCU game, I think it became clear that the team had some real ball handling and defensive issues and was going to be fucked come ACC play.

We can call last season a total failure, and you can say I'm accepting that it was. Fine. But how much of that was on Bz? Are you honestly delusional enough to believe he was the difference between Wake being bad and Wake being a catastrophic disaster? I'll say it again: We sucked all-around. There's no way to say that the failures of a team that didn't have a point guard for most of the season, that was giving significant PT to 5 freshmen, that got negative total value from two guys playing a combined 50 minutes/game, and that had virtually no frontcourt depth, were at all on a head coach that inherited literally every single one of those problems. I'm not saying they weren't on Bz; I'm just saying that it's impossible and batshit crazy to assume that they were.

I'm not accepting last year's failures any more than I'm acknowledging that they occurred, and expressing some level of optimism that we're on the right track towards recovering from them.

It is amazing to look back and see how "delusional" we BuzzOUTers were back then... :rolleyes:

It's also interesting to look back and see all the people buying into the AD's BS.

I refuse to believe that Buzz will get 3 more years no matter what. If I accept that then I will stop caring about Wake basketball and die a little inside.

If he earns them, then great, if the complete and total shitshow that I expect to come actually happens, then he needs to be gone after this season or next at the very latest. I'll be surprised if he shows any ability to motivate a team at this point. Who the hell would want to play for a guy that behaves like him towards his players? It's abhorrent.

You had me at "Hello". I mean at "I refuse"...

I think RW, Grobe and Bzzz should all be fired right now. Hell why not all of the other coaches too. Vidovich didnt even make the tourney last year...can his ass!!!

This post was prophetic. Oh wait... Is that sarcasm?

To do so once is sufficient then. To do so on every single thread and derail it to the point where the only topic is fans lamenting about how bad Wake Forest basketball is and how terrible of a coach and human Jeff [Redacted] is, is overkill to me don't you think?

Nah... In fact, two years later it's still not "overkill". Buzz is still a terrible coach AND human being. He knows what he's done to our players college careers and he's still here doing it. The only explanation for that is "doesn't matter, got paid".

Last edited:
It is amazing to look back and see how "delusional" we BuzzOUTers were back then... :rolleyes:

It's also interesting to look back and see all the people buying into the AD's BS.

I was a dipshit.

To be fair, aside from that stupid condescending bolded line, my post made sense at the time. I never liked the Bz hire, but I was waiting to see him with a fresh slate at that point. It just seemed like everything that could have gone wrong in '10-11 did, and I thought at the time that most of that was out of his control. Of course, he hasn't rectified any of those three-year-old problems at this point, so what the shit did I know?

Last edited:
Must have been in one of my moments of weakness when I thought I should be "fair" to him.

Slightly off topic, but I thought Clawson had a good quote about Wake's academic standards during the signing day lunch when he said you can use it as an excuse or as a strength. Bzzzz obviously uses it as the former. Yet it's only one of many excuses he uses.

Not that it matters now, but this thread and the original poll refute the BuzzIn claim that the fans never gave him a chance to succeed. Plenty on here were BuzzIn after year 1 and many more (including myself, though I wasn't optimistic) were wait and see. He was given a chance by the fanbase and he failed.

Back