• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Seems like Keller has dropped off the rotation completely.

Injury or in the doghouse?

I think it's as simple as:

Forbes plays 8 guys in competitive games

Marsh and Keller are 8/9 (or 9/8). So we'll see one of them for 9-13 minutes and we won't see the other. This is far more likely than seeing both of them for 6 minutes.

I think it's as simple as:

Forbes plays 8 guys in competitive games

Marsh and Keller are 8/9 (or 9/8). So we'll see one of them for 9-13 minutes and we won't see the other. This is far more likely than seeing both of them for 6 minutes.

May be.

I don't want to think much more about that game, but the biggest takeaway to me is that I'm pretty sure we would have killed them if Efton had played 30 minutes instead of 15. Filipowski straight up couldn't guard Efton, and our defense was a million times better with Efton in the game.

Avoid the foul trouble and I feel pretty good that we can beat Duke in Winston.
the problem is that Reid seems to have very limited hoops instincts

coaching could help some, but his general awareness, timing of his defensive rotations, decisions on when to be aggressive, passing, etc. all point to a lower ceiling than his physical skills would otherwise allow

This thread is sad and a depressing reminder as to how far the fan base has fallen over the past 25 years. I tried to tell everyone years ago that you can't keep changing out coaches like this over and over again within a short timeframe, and we're now seeing it's effects.

Mr. Wellman and many others within the AD understood this, and is why he did not make the changes as quick as some on here would like.

Maybe Steve Forbes is a long term answer here and maybe he's not, but we cannot make any more changes like this in the near term future. He's going to need at least three more years for both his sake and for the sake of bringing back some sense of stability to the program.

As a reminder, he is our fourth coach within a 10 year span...........
Avoid responding to this poster. He is a troll who showed up to advocate for Manning and Wellman when the fans were unhappy with that disaster. Again, troll alert.

the problem is that Reid seems to have very limited hoops instincts

coaching could help some, but his general awareness, timing of his defensive rotations, decisions on when to be aggressive, passing, etc. all point to a lower ceiling than his physical skills would otherwise allow
Sure, but some of these things are definitely skills that can be learned. In 8 fewer games, he's already played over 4x as many minutes this season as he did last season. And he's playing for his third head coach in three years.

Give him a real offseason with the same coaching staff coming off a season where he played a lot of minutes, and I think he will improve a lot in some of these areas going into next year.

I’ve continuously said that we should move on from Forbes if no, NCAA tournament bid after this season or next. Since you obviously disagree (based on your dismissive response) what is your threshold? Three more seasons? Five more seasons? Seven more seasons without an NCAA bid? Or, award Forbes a lifetime contract now? Interesting how those most dismissive of the fans questioning “credibility“ never want to set any parameters.

Sure, but some of these things are definitely skills that can be learned. In 8 fewer games, he's already played over 4x as many minutes this season as he did last season. And he's playing for his third head coach in three years.

Give him a real offseason with the same coaching staff coming off a season where he played a lot of minutes, and I think he will improve a lot in some of these areas going into next year.
i'm hopeful but not terribly optimistic

Wrong. I've been around since the early 2000's in some form or fashion on the old sites. If I'm a troll, then I'm a well aged troll.

And dissent from mass hysteria does not make you a troll. It just means you have a functional brain.

I'm making the same argument I did with the change from Jeff [Redacted]. And Danny Manning. And now Steve Forbes.

You have to give them time.

GDO was probably one of the best coaches we've ever had, but when he finally left we had good options on the table, because he had over 10 years to build the program up from its' ashes, and yet couldn't quite get us past the elite 8 in the NCAAT.

Give Steve Forbes three more years. Then if we need to move on, John Currie will do what needs to be done.

Instead of minutes projections, can we get a "likelihood of returning" projection? Trying to figure out how excited to be for next year (while obviously we still have a ton to play for this season).

I'm sure many will disagree with me but personally the Efton issues should be largely fixed by now. I have never in my life seen a 7 foot 250 pound big man look like a chicken with his head cut off the way he is always running around the perimeter and pressing other players like he is Gary Payton going to strip the ball and doing all kinds of incredibly UNFUNDAMENTAL things for any player much less a big man his size. You don't run your body into the player, you don't lean into the other player nor jump to name a few. He does it over and over and he is the lynchpin for this team from a D and rebounding perspective and possibly one of the best big defenders and rebounders in the league if he sould stay on the floor for more than 15-20 mins/game. His continual inability impacts the flow and confidence of this team and definitely increases the confidence of opponents when he is not in the paint. Why we don't zone some and stick his rear in the paint so he isn't running all over our side of the court would be very refreshing or just tell him he doesn't need to be so hyper on D when he is so tall and big because just his standing and reach will cause trouble for most players. Incredibly frustrating to see what is such an obvious issue not be fixed as honesty in most games he has been lucky as there have been many other times he could have easily been called for a foul just because he isn't playing smart.

I'll shoot from the hip on return:

Very likely - Cam, Boopie, Parker, Reid, MMM
Pretty likely - Marsh, Carr
50/50 - Damari
Not likely - Sallis
Unknown/Mutual Playing Time Decision - Clark, Canka, Jao, Keller

50/50 - Damari
Not likely - Sallis
I'd feel pretty good if those top 7 come back and Cam is healthy.

50/50 - Damari
Not likely - Sallis
I might move Carr into 50/50 because he's played four full season of college ball and may just be ready to move on, but otherwise pretty much agree.

I might move Carr into 50/50 because he's played four full season of college ball and may just be ready to move on, but otherwise pretty much agree.
I think he and Damari are in similar boats, but Carr seems more likely to return with enough RTQ incentive. We shall see. Hope they're both back.

Wrong. I've been around since the early 2000's in some form or fashion on the old sites. If I'm a troll, then I'm a well aged troll.

And dissent from mass hysteria does not make you a troll. It just means you have a functional brain.

I'm making the same argument I did with the change from Jeff [Redacted]. And Danny Manning. And now Steve Forbes.

You have to give them time.

GDO was probably one of the best coaches we've ever had, but when he finally left we had good options on the table, because he had over 10 years to build the program up from its' ashes, and yet couldn't quite get us past the elite 8 in the NCAAT.

Give Steve Forbes three more years. Then if we need to move on, John Currie will do what needs to be done.
Well if we give him three more years, then there is a good chance the NCAA and ACC as we know them are toast by then. If/when we end up in the SoCon or some sort of Carolina Conference, maybe Forbes would be back at his level enough to be effective. He'd probably be decent if he could just pull guys out of the portal and tell them to go play against mediocre competition, without actually having to coach against any decent coaches who know what they are doing.

I think the odds of Carr and Monsanto returning and the caliber of incoming transfers increases if Wake makes the tournament. We need a program breakthrough and this would immediately pay off.

Back