• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Meh, you’re not wrong about a true PG, but if you switch our roster and UVAs, Bennett wins that game by 20 (as Wake did at home).

Greenberg and others have said Wake has the best or most talented starting 5 in the ACC.

I think this is misunderstanding what makes Bennett a good coach and why UVa has been such a good program.

When Bennett took over, UVA was bad for two seasons. It wasn’t until he had time to bring in his own guys that were a fit for his system that they started winning. Bennett/UVA is great because everything in that program is complementary to their vision of how they want to play their boring-ass style of disciplined basketball.

My main point is that we have the opposite of that due to our reliance of the transfer portal and end up with some solid individual players but patchwork teams.

It's a double edge sword. He gets so much talent in the portal because he lets guys play. But he's got to find a way to reel them in a bit. Sadly if we have Reid all year and Cam doesn't get hurt, this is a very different season.
Same old story for the Deacon faithful.…

I was pissed after the Pitt game, no excuse for that debacle. We got hosed by the officials at state, the Duke game Reid didn’t show up. UVA yesterday was ridiculous though. UVA sucks. We should’ve won that game by 10 at least and that is on Forbes.

it is simply inexcusable how bad that was yesterday. We had 5 parts running around untethered. The parts are less than the whole with this group and that is coaching. Forbes knows this as well as me stating the obvious.

coach is great with the kids. He is especially adept at bringing in kids with shaken confidence.and expanding their games and reinvigorating their physches. Yet there is a lot of “feelings” with this group, and sometime a loving kick in the ass is needed. Hopefully coach can manage this.

Cam has got to stay in his lane. He needs to play lock down defense for 15 minutes. He is compromised on offense, and it sucks but he is hurting the team now.

Boopie as well. He has got to adjust.

Reid has to grow a pair, and kick ass.

i think Damari Is coming around physically. His overall game yesterday was much better, PFred is lethal now and while he needs help in the post he is excellent defensively in space,

I want to see Sallis, PFred, Damari, Carr and Reid on the floor together.

This team is our best team since 2009 with a very high ceiling. It’s all there. Roles are now defined. It’s about execution.

I still don’t understand why the bench hasn’t expanded.

you seem very hung up on this.

Rafi has already answered this:

If Forbes is building and moving in the right direction, and fails to reach the NCAA tournament, you don't give up on him. Obviously you reach a point where the "right direction" most likely involves a tournament bid. No one here - no one - is advocating for a lifetime contract.

OK, take out the "lifetime contract" part of the question. You said if he fails to reach the NCAA tournament you don't give up on him and that the right direction "most likely" involves a tournament bid. That seems to indicate that he doesn't need to make the tournament at any point as long as we keep "moving in the right direction". My this season / next season timeline is just my opinion. No problem with others disagreeing. Honestly just curious if you, Rafi and others have any timeline. If Forbes still hasn't made the tournament in 5 more seasons are you still satisfied as long as Wake is in the top half of the ACC?

OK, take out the "lifetime contract" part of the question. You said if he fails to reach the NCAA tournament you don't give up on him and that the right direction "most likely" involves a tournament bid. That seems to indicate that he doesn't need to make the tournament at any point as long as we keep "moving in the right direction". My this season / next season timeline is just my opinion. No problem with others disagreeing. Honestly just curious if you, Rafi and others have any timeline. If Forbes still hasn't made the tournament in 5 more seasons are you still satisfied as long as Wake is in the top half of the ACC?

It would be quite a feat for Forbes to continue to move forward, building in the right direction, over the next 5 years and still not reach the NCAA tournament. Impossible, really. Either he's moving forward or he isn't.

So that seems like a silly hypothetical to engage in.

It would be quite a feat for Forbes to continue to move forward, building in the right direction, over the next 5 years and still not reach the NCAA tournament. Impossible, really. Either he's moving forward or he isn't.

So that seems like a silly hypothetical to engage in.
OK, so no timeline for getting a tournament bid. Just engaging in silly wordplay. Got it.

As I've posted multiple times on this thread, Forbes needs to make the NCAA tournament this season or next or we need to move on. Can't seem to get an answer from the "all in" folks, but what is your criteria, if any? At some point, does "moving in the right direction" involve an NCAA tournament bid? How long would you give Forbes if there is no bid? 3 more years? 5 more years? Lifetime contract now? Would love for one of the "all in" folks to respond.
Of course, the team could still win out this season and make the tournament and this discussion (at least for me) becomes moot.
I just don't think choosing one parameter and basing the decision on that one parameter makes sense. For example, Manning made the tournament, but then he lost all his critical players over the next next 2 years and had no notable recruits signed. Imagine a scenario in which we barely miss the tournament this year and next, but next year we win the NIT and we are bringing in the #1 recruiting class in the country (or the #1 portal class). Would you fire Forbes in that scenario? Of course not.

Zero percent chance he would get fired. If he isn’t coaching at Wake it is because the Iowa job opens up and he wants the opportunity to coach at home.

As I've posted multiple times on this thread, Forbes needs to make the NCAA tournament this season or next or we need to move on. Can't seem to get an answer from the "all in" folks, but what is your criteria, if any? At some point, does "moving in the right direction" involve an NCAA tournament bid? How long would you give Forbes if there is no bid? 3 more years? 5 more years? Lifetime contract now? Would love for one of the "all in" folks to respond.
Of course, the team could still win out this season and make the tournament and this discussion (at least for me) becomes moot.
As I have posted multiple time on this thread, Forbes should be coach for life. I just like the guy.

Boopie is playing his first year of high major basketball. I’m excited to see what he looks like next season.

Forbes will bring in another scorer to replace Sallis since we can’t really rely on Juke as a freshman to fill that role.

With another primary scorer + Juke and the returning guys, I’m confident we’re a better team next season.

Also, it’s not Forbes fault that the perception of the ACC is so bad. He’s got us in 4th place. That used to be a lock.
It’s 2024. There is no guarantee that anyone on the current team is back next season.

I think this is misunderstanding what makes Bennett a good coach and why UVa has been such a good program.

When Bennett took over, UVA was bad for two seasons. It wasn’t until he had time to bring in his own guys that were a fit for his system that they started winning. Bennett/UVA is great because everything in that program is complementary to their vision of how they want to play their boring-ass style of disciplined basketball.

My main point is that we have the opposite of that due to our reliance of the transfer portal and end up with some solid individual players but patchwork teams.
I think this is an excellent take that should be a bigger talking point

Until Forbes nails down more of a HS recruiting pipeline it is hard to create a team and culture

For the record I think the portal was a necessary evil to make us relevant again. Furthermore I think college sports now necessitates some sort of recruiting in the portal

However it has to be supplemented by 3-4 year guys who are going to be the backbone of your program. Otherwise you get what we see this year, games where we look like a great team and games where we look like a bunch of random dudes who got together before a pickup game

I think this is an excellent take that should be a bigger talking point

Until Forbes nails down more of a HS recruiting pipeline it is hard to create a team and culture

For the record I think the portal was a necessary evil to make us relevant again. Furthermore I think college sports now necessitates some sort of recruiting in the portal

However it has to be supplemented by 3-4 year guys who are going to be the backbone of your program. Otherwise you get what we see this year, games where we look like a great team and games where we look like a bunch of random dudes who got together before a pickup game
All of the following are 3-4 year guys (or have the potential to be):
Cam
Carr
Boopie
Monsanto
Friedrichsen
Keller
Marsh
Ituka
Marion
Clark
Canka

as long as Forbes is .500 and above in the ACC he will have a long leash.

Agreed. And as others have mentioned, I have no idea who we'd go out and get and expect immediately a better product. Forbes has shown he can do magic with the portal. If you go out and get some guy that is a portal disaster and then relies on building a team, you're back to 3-5 years (hopefully). Rinse and repeat and we've gotten nowhere 5 years down the road. Forbes is our best chance given current circumstances.

If he still can't get us in the NCAAT in 2-3 years, then I think Currie will be left no choice to pull the trigger. But again, I'm still not sure who we get.

Agreed, our post game is still poor. Outside of Carr, Reid is the only one with a post game and he is unpolished and needs work. We need someone that has a post move or two…Reid only has his mediocre hook. Rebounding for fucks sake also!
We need a big man coach. We need...Danny Manning.

I'm kidding. But tbh, I actually do think he had some pretty good success molding big men at Wake. Awful at a lot of other things. But Devin Thomas, Doral Moore, JC really improved substantially.

On the other hand, no guards ever improved under Manning like they have under Forbes.

I mean, Reid is having his best season of his career after functionally sitting out last year and all summer.

Carr is playing the best basketball of his career this year after a full off-season with Forbes.

And idk, Marsh has definitely gotten better since he was benched. Maybe he’s not good, but he’s definitely gotten better.

If Keller stays then I think he will improve, too.

Back