• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Student work load

Is Claire Hammond no longer there? I liked her better than Dan.

I thought Whaples ran Econ last I check? D Hammond? Really?

most of the departments rotate the "chair" positions because it's a lot of work (by academia standards) and most of it is administrative stuff most professors don't enjoy. i graduated in 2011 and, after a quick run through on wake's website, half of the department chairs i checked have changed since then.

Of the econ profs I had I'd power rank them 1. Perry Patterson 2. Whape dog 3. Wood 4. CHammond 5. DHammond 6. Cottrell 7. The AWFUL Depolt

I had Gay May. One of the few A's I got at Wake. There was a super hot Fidele in the class a few years older than me. She asked me to tutor her since she was clueless. It helped alot. Never got past 2nd base tho. #Palmad

There are tons of good reasons to complain about Gaylord May, being hard isn't one of them. I'm guessing the number grade for an A was so high because of the higher median scores of his classes. Proof he was easy: step into his intro to stats class and count the jocks. I signed up for 108, saw David Carlyle sitting there and said "I'm out" and dropped it. Both the Mays were "go-to" profs if you wanted an A in a math class. Graham I thought was decent though.

Yeah, no reason to complain about Gay May. His class was hard to get into. Kirkman is who you wanted to avoid.

And Delmer Hylton is the spawn of the devil. He's a legend at Wake Forest.

I was at Wake in the middle of the conversion to +/-. Holy hell that sucked. A friend of mine a few years older was one of the last few to graduate with a legit 4.0.

Holy shit that guy was such a worthless corndogg. After having a strange flashback, I googled him and happened upon his website. Holy shit the drivel he has on there makes RJ sound coherent. Dude would not make it a month with a real job.

That said, I thought he was one of the funniest and best profs I had.

I never had Hans, but based on this I had to check out his website. Doesn't look like he's updated it since 1996, except for the section his daugther obviously added for herself during her senior year in highchool. It's complete with her favorite picnic spot, her favorite tree and her cat "Shadow." Based on the fact that Hans proudly announces his daughter was born on Christmas Day 1983 she'll soon be 31, but her senior year website is apparently immortalized on her dad's website. Hah.

There are tons of good reasons to complain about Gaylord May, being hard isn't one of them. I'm guessing the number grade for an A was so high because of the higher median scores of his classes. Proof he was easy: step into his intro to stats class and count the jocks. I signed up for 108, saw David Carlyle sitting there and said "I'm out" and dropped it. Both the Mays were "go-to" profs if you wanted an A in a math class. Graham I thought was decent though.

maybe before the senile years.
there towards the end... oof. i know for a fact i had the highest grade in the class with a 94, and that is forever on my transcript as a B.

NO FORGIVENESS.

john wood was fantastic

+1 to this. He knows a ton of people and if I recall correctly we had some high ranking Atlanta fed guy come to class to chat. Then Wood took us all over to Shorty's and bought people beers.

The class I had with him had about 15 people in it, all seniors. I took his class spring semester senior year. The class was at 2 PM M/W/F in the basement of Carswell. Well it gets to April, spring is in full bloom and a 2 PM class it pretty rough (aside: looking back on it after several years in the workforce and we just don't realize how lucky we were), well one Friday a kid walks in with a case of beer. Wood rolls in, looks at the case, pauses for only the briefest of moments and then we proceeded to have class while everyone drank beer. By 2:35 Wood announces that it's too nice out for class to continue and concludes it for the day.

I really liked Grant McAllister for German; besides him, Sheri Bridges and Whaples, i really don't have any memories of professors.

oh and Nagesh Rao. good times.

Favorite professors:

Ken Hoglund - Intro to the Bible. I loved this course. It was SUPER easy, but also the first time I'd studied the Bible as a textbook. Really interesting.
Dr. Coates - Poli Sci stuff. Just a really, really good professor regardless of how you feel about his political leanings.
Teresa Sanhueza - Spanish - love. her. Really fantastic professor when you get to her upper-level stuff, and she genuinely cares about her students if you show that you care about your studies. A friend to this day.
Bryan Shelly - poli sci; no longer there. I took him for 3 or 4 classes, can't remember. Inspired good classroom discussions, a little more 'hip' than some of the other poli sci professors. He's now off being a yoga instructor and general scholar. I don't think Wake was a great fit for him, but I'm glad our time there overlapped.
Eric Carlson - http://users.wfu.edu/ecarlson/ - the website basically says it all. Took my freshman seminar with him, he's crazy as hell and it's awesome.

Though it's less ridiculous than it used to be, but Dan Locklair's website is pretty absurd. He has many images of himself available for download, most with a pipe.

Last edited:
Back