• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tampa trying to force fumble on kneel down: Cheap shot or no?

I agree with this.
Also, I would argue that were significantly more likely to cause a fumble because it was unexpected.

giantsbucs.gif

I like the spider blitz by #21 TB (Eric Wright)

If these teams meet again, I'm running up the score as much as possible if I'm the Giants. All within the rules.
Yes, but the Bucs made a move in an attempt to win the game. If a player got injured, it was done with the goal of winning a game.

If a player is injured when the game is already decided and the Giants are simply trying to run it up, then that's a completely different situation.

TB had one timeout left. If this was about "winning" and not a cheap shot, why didn't Schiano call timeout immediately and have them kneel again? They would've had another shot at a fumble, right?

Well said.

http://deadspin.com/5943797/why-jump-a-kneeldown-because-it-worked-two-years-ago

"Someone points out that the "dirty play" is just smart football. Ooh, I'll do it! Anyone remember Troy-Oklahoma State in 2010? (Former Trojan and current Giant Jerrel Jernigan sure does.)

O.K. State had the ball with a minute left and a three-point lead, and attempted to kneel to run out the game clock. But Brandon Weeden fumbled the snap, and the Trojans, sending their front three over the top, recovered the ball."

http://deadspin.com/5943797/why-jump-a-kneeldown-because-it-worked-two-years-ago

"Someone points out that the "dirty play" is just smart football. Ooh, I'll do it! Anyone remember Troy-Oklahoma State in 2010? (Former Trojan and current Giant Jerrel Jernigan sure does.)

O.K. State had the ball with a minute left and a three-point lead, and attempted to kneel to run out the game clock. But Brandon Weeden fumbled the snap, and the Trojans, sending their front three over the top, recovered the ball."

BOOM goes the dynamite!

What is the problem? It's a good play.

I bet Eli is closer to fumbling it than people would think. He takes a pretty good jolt.

I could definitely see the ball coming loose.

They lined up in a play formation for the Miracle of the Meadowlands AND they tried to make a handoff.

It was not set up to kneel. You are absolutely wrong.

They did knell on the play before.

Well, if it's just a play everyone is supposed to give up on, why do the NYG's have one back at the line of scrimmage and another one remain in the backfield about 7 yards deep while Eli gets the snap? Is he there to take pictures or to stop someone who recovers a fumble from running for a TD in the possible but unlikely event there is a fumble on the snap? How can Coughlin complain, while his formation is set up to prevent a turnover/TD, that the other team is trying to cause a fumble/TD?

Good point.

If they did it on the 2nd kneel down there would not have been enough time left to run a play. With 5 seconds left, they could force a fumble, recover and run one last play (with a timeout to set it up). If they used a timeout after the first kneel, they would have around 3 seconds to force a fumble and recover. Not likely enough time to force a fumble, recover and still have time for a play.

The fact that the Giants were surprised by this and that bumbling Eli fell on his ass means it was a damn good try.

The kneel down formation is designed to expect the other team to try and disrupt/prevent the kneel. That is why there is a back behind the QB (safety valve in case of fumble) and two big bodies (usually FBs or TEs) flanking the QB to help keep the line from being pushed back into the QB or players diving over the top of the o-line. If defenses are supposed to give up when the opposing team wants to kneel, why have those two big bodies flanking the QB?

The kneel down formation is designed to expect the other team to try and disrupt/prevent the kneel. That is why there is a back behind the QB (safety valve in case of fumble) and two big bodies (usually FBs or TEs) flanking the QB to help keep the line from being pushed back into the QB or players diving over the top of the o-line. If defenses are supposed to give up when the opposing team wants to kneel, why have those two big bodies flanking the QB?

In case there is a fumbled snap.

How is the game over? Down one score. If you force a fumble and take it to the house, the game is certainly not over.

Why is this even an issue? What gives teams the right to just kneel down and win the game? Schiano's job is to try to win every game.

In case there is a fumbled snap.

So how in the hell could it be cheap to send your players to try to create a fumble snap, or at least to have a better shot at recovering a fumbled snap?

Back