• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tebow

2009 Houston Chronicle article:
http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2009/11/did-we-need-to-be-reminded-that-vince-young-is-a-winner/

"Did we need to be reminded that Vince Young is a winner?

Vince Young did what he almost always does. He walked off the field as the winning quarterback. If you’re counting, he’s 52-13 since leaving Madison High School. Some of you will write in to say that he’s not really that good, and that he’s just, well, lucky.

You’re missing the point. Playing quarterback in the NFL is about arm strength and smarts and all that stuff. Just as important is leadership skills and the ability to make plays at winning time.

Vince Young doesn’t have the prettiest arm motion. He doesn’t have the most accurate arm.

Yet Vince Young wins. 30-2 at Texas. 22-11 in the NFL. As much as people like me try to justify the pick of Mario Williams, as much as we praise the all-around game of Matt Schaub, Monday night was a reminder of what life might have been like if the Texans had drafted Vince Young.

He would have brought a buzz that the Texans have never had before. For at least a little while, the Texans would have been at least as popular as the Dallas Cowboys in Texas.

The Texans had their reasons. They believed they already had a franchise quarterback in David Carr. They had an owner, Bob McNair, who liked Carr very much. They also had an idiot, Charley Casserly, as a general manager.

Charley had nothing to do with bypassing Vince Young because he wanted the Texans to draft Reggie Bush. By the time draft day arrived, all Charley had done is attempt to persuade Gary Kubiak that David Carr could be a winning and productive quarterback in the NFL.

Kubiak was in a bad spot because he had only video and Casserly and McNair to rely on. I’m guessing he understood Carr wasn’t the answer about midway through that first training camp.

Anyway, Vince Young came back to Reliant Stadium and beat the Texans again. Now the Texans are 5-5 and probably going nowhere in Kubiak’s fourth season.

Meanwhile, Young has led the resurgent Titans to four straight victories. From 0-6 to 4-6. He has looked outstanding at times and not very good at times. But he has won. Which is what he has always done."

As much as I dislike the Tebow lovefest and how much time ESPN spends talking about him. I think this whole thing is hilarious. His passing is atrocious and the offense doesn't really move te ball yet they are just winning.

Also, I like how Denver said, "Fuck it, we're just gonna run the option despite everyone saying it can't be done in the NFL." Honestly I think it can. Tebow is big enough to take hits and has never had any durability or injury issues in his career. If there is only one team that runs it then they aren't gonna prepare that much for it except in the game week. They say the defenses are so much faster but the offenses in the NFL are too.

I'd love to listen to Demaryius Thomas uncensored thoughts on Tebow and running the option. Guy finally gets out of GT where he spent most of his time blocking and goes to a pass happy Denver team. Then a couple years later he is back to blocking in an option offense with a QB that can't throw.

Is it remotely possible that Tebow happened to take the reigns during the low point of the Bronco's schedule or that Denver's D is better than expected? Any chance that is true?

He's hitting a stretch of abysmal offenses. Miami. Oakland with Palmer still not ready. KC. And now the Jets with Sanchez just completely falling apart.

No doubt, Denver's D is pretty good, but they are looking way better than they really are, mainly because of who they're playing. Tebow is only winning because of the crap teams they are playing, who can't get a two score seperation. He's good enough to beat terrible-to-mediocre teams, if everything breaks his way (onside recoveries, pick sixes, etc.). Otherwise, he's just a terrible QB with a fantastic PR machine. He'll never lead a team to the playoffs unless his division is so bad that 8-8 is good enough.

Definitely possible.

To me, this offense Denver is running reminds me of a much less exciting/explosive version of what Miami did with the Wildcat. Teams will have trouble preparing for it because it is so radically different from what the other 31 teams in the league are running. And it will probably work for a while. So in that sense I agree this whole Tebow thing is a gimmick and opponents will figure it out -- but it's working in the short term to help a bad team win some games. The key will be figuring out how to evolve and grow in this offseason, imo.

To me he's sort of like a movie. You had the people who jumped in really early and then they way overhyped him so the next group was really let down and kind of hates him.

I actually get it. I mean, it's literally like someone won an online contest to quarterback the Broncos, everyone tuned in to watch him, and somehow he won games despite being horrible. I can see why that's a feel-good story to some people. It's just the people who think he's actually good who offend me as a sports fan.

I think the most amazing part is that, despite the fact he can't throw worth a damn, his teammates (including the receivers) appear to be on board. Guess winning will do that.

Again, hated him in college for the excessive adulation, but simply want him to win now.

Nothing wrong with the doubters. In fact, I haven't heard anything about his QB abilities that I would disagree with. Prove the doubters wrong and keep winning. Show that there are different ways to win than the same old thinking in the NFL, which is sometimes bland for its conformity to a single style of play. Go Tebow!

That was before they changed their offense. Not on the Tebow band wagon. I think he is not going to succeed long-term unless some team figures out how to run a dual QB for 70% of the snaps. Where two QBs are in the game at the same time and the other one can pocket pass.

All the Jets needed to do was contain the freakin' edges on the last drive. I don't know what they were thinking.

All that said, and as a Jets fan, Tebow is a beast. In fact, I am starting to think that is why he can't throw with any accuracy. Too big a guns. Tebow went over the middle on a 3rd and 1 or a 4th and 1, and Bart Scott got his whole arm under the ball and pulled it half way out as Tebow was falling forward. Tebow still held on to the ball. He's a beast. He's a winner. I wouldn't bet against him with in the exact situation he got last night: The ball. 3 and 1/2 minutes. 4th quarter at home at altitude against a tiring defense with a chance to win with a TD. He's too strong, too good. But I think there will be plenty of games when he gets the ball and they are down 28-10. He's not going to be able to come back from 28-10 much less 19-10 against most teams away from home.

That was before they changed their offense. Not on the Tebow band wagon. I think he is not going to succeed long-term unless some team figures out how to run a dual QB for 70% of the snaps. Where two QBs are in the game at the same time and the other one can pocket pass.

All the Jets needed to do was contain the freakin' edges on the last drive. I don't know what they were thinking.

All that said, and as a Jets fan, Tebow is a beast. In fact, I am starting to think that is why he can't throw with any accuracy. Too big a guns. Tebow went over the middle on a 3rd and 1 or a 4th and 1, and Bart Scott got his whole arm under the ball and pulled it half way out as Tebow was falling forward. Tebow still held on to the ball. He's a beast. He's a winner. I wouldn't bet against him with in the exact situation he got last night: The ball. 3 and 1/2 minutes. 4th quarter at home at altitude against a tiring defense with a chance to win with a TD. He's too strong, too good. But I think there will be plenty of games when he gets the ball and they are down 28-10. He's not going to be able to come back from 28-10 much less 19-10 against most teams away from home.

Somebody needs to look up Jaybone's posts from August anointing Sanchez as the 5 star no holds barred best thing ever.

Search function, FTW
Sanchez? Sanchez is pretty much a stud. Plays huge games when needed. Seems like a winner. Dumber than Joe Montana quite possibly, but it worked for Joe!

And I like the Falcons, btw. Sure, I'd rather have Matt Ryan at QB than Sanchez, but I'd rather have Sanchez than all but about six or seven QBs. What Sanchez does well is bring the toughness of the defense to the offensive side of the ball. Not that many QBs do that. Ryan doesn't. Neither does Brees. Tommy Tom Tom in NE looked like he wanted to get to the off season without needing rehab against the Jets. Sanchez is Tebow light, who gets laid and can throw better.

What does that mean? Sanchez is 4-2 in the playoffs so far and the two losses in the conference championship, he has played very well. His horrific performances have been in regular season games. He had two awful awful games last year and three or four his rookie year.

You got me .. sort of. I'd take your top six over Sanchez. I'd take Ryan and Vick and Romo. On the fence with Schaub and Freeman as neither has been in the playoffs much less won 4 road games. I'd take Sanchez over the rest without hesitation.

Flacco is a huge pussy. At his size, he should be a stud. I like Bradford, but want to see if he can take hits and win games.

All Sanchez has done is taken his team to the conference championship two years in a row. He's got an awful OC. He plays bigger the bigger the game. I like him.

Unfathomable my ass, cupcake.

Deion Sanders:

"My vocabulary isn't inept enough to even define what Tim Tebow is."

It sounded like he said "my mocabulary" but I'll cut him some slack for being in the midst of a Tebowrgasm.

As much as I dislike the Tebow lovefest and how much time ESPN spends talking about him. I think this whole thing is hilarious. His passing is atrocious and the offense doesn't really move te ball yet they are just winning.

Also, I like how Denver said, "Fuck it, we're just gonna run the option despite everyone saying it can't be done in the NFL." Honestly I think it can. Tebow is big enough to take hits and has never had any durability or injury issues in his career. If there is only one team that runs it then they aren't gonna prepare that much for it except in the game week. They say the defenses are so much faster but the offenses in the NFL are too.

This is about the same thing that was said about the Wildcat. That worked, for a year.

This is about the same thing that was said about the Wildcat. That worked, for a year.

Yeah, but the wildcat doesn't really even work in college anymore. The option has been around forever and is still extremely effective.

The option is not even working now as a novelty for Denver. They are one of the worst offenses in the NFL since they've been running it. They are averaging about 300 yards a game on offense the last 5 weeks, which would be one of the worst outputs in the NFL over the last few years. And this is with the element of surprise.

They had a 95 yard drive for the win last night and still only put up 229 yards of offense.

Back