• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

That thing that never happens is happening again...

No...well, NY did restrict it...but you would think that if you don't even allow it, the dem party would be up in arms about voter suppression from the get go! But since the states are controlled by the dem machine, you cant very well claim racism/voter suppression.

LMFAO

"But since the GOP not only flipped the House in 2010 but totally controlled 21 state governments, including Pennsylvania's, it allowed the party to master post-census congressional redistricting around the country. On Nov. 6, Democrats won the popular vote by 500,000 votes nationally but took just 201 of the 435 U.S. House seats. In Pennsylvania, Republicans took hold of 13 of 18 congressional seats while being outpaced by 75,000 total votes. Mr. Obama won 53 percent of the state's vote, but Democratic candidates won 28 percent of the seats."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/news/na...l-of-House/stories/201211260217#ixzz2y9VCnWAV

After the 2008 election the GOP adopted a strategy called the REDistricting MAjority Project (REDMAP). As Karl Rove explained:

ome of the most important contests this fall will be way down the ballot in . . . state legislative races that will determine who redraws congressional district lines after this year’s census, a process that could determine which party controls upwards of 20 seats and whether many other seats will be competitive.”

Republicans focused on 107 state legislative seats in 16 states where GOP wins in four or five Democratic districts per state would enable the Republicans to re-shape about 190 congressional districts. Leading GOP strategist Ed Gillespie ran this operation. He took over the Republican State Leadership Committee, and the party poured more than $30 million into these contests. It also spent many millions on various gubernatorial contests.

REDMAP succeeded brilliantly. In 2010, the GOP netted some 700 state seats, increasing its share of state House and Senate seats by almost 10 percent, from approximately 3200 to over 3900. It took over both legislative chambers in 25 states and won total control of 21 states (legislature and governorship) — the greatest such victory since 1928. In 17 of these states, GOP legislatures controlled the congressional redistricting for 173 seats. The other five GOP states have only one congressional district or rely on an independent commission.

Republicans promptly went on a gerrymandering spree. In 2011, the GOP remapped these states to protect congressional and state Republicans in newly acquired competitive districts.

The 2012 elections showed how effective this 2011 gerrymandering was. As the RSLC boasted in January:

“Pennsylvanians cast 83,000 more votes for Democratic U.S. House candidates than their Republican opponents, but elected a 13-5 Republican majority to represent them in Washington; Michiganders cast over 240,000 more votes for Democratic congressional candidates than Republicans, but still elected a 9-5 Republican delegation to Congress. Nationwide, Republicans won 54 percent of the U.S. House seats, along with 58 of 99 state legislative chambers, while winning only 8 of 33 U.S. Senate races and carrying only 47.8 percent of the national presidential vote.”

The tactics were stunning. Though the GOP lost the House popular vote by almost 1.4 million votes, this translated into a loss of just eight congressional seats."

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2013/07/14/democrats-its-the-states-stupid/

Representative democracy at it's finest!

Last edited:
Republicans favor a system in which politicians pick their constituents instead of a representative democracy. It's scary.

I favor a system where informed voters pick their representatives.....CRAZY. And ONW is an idiot on the level of RJ. His Lol has nothing to do with the the states that I illustrated earlier in this thre.

But again, this is no place do discuss politics (922 is about the only pereson who cares about real discourse0..so I will no longer waste my time.

ETA all gerrymandering is counter productive to representative govt.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I favor a system where informed voters pick their representatives.....CRAZY. And ONW is an idiot on the level of RJ. His Lol has nothing to do with the the states that I illustrated earlier in this thre.

But again, this is no place do discuss politics....so I will no longer waste my time.

Cheers!

Who decides whether someone is informed enough to vote?

Reactions: ONW
"Kim Strach, the new director of North Carolina’s Board of Elections, disagrees. She just searched a database that comprises about half the registered voters in the U.S. and found 35,750 voters in her state whose first and last names and full date of birth match with someone in another state who also voted in the 2012 election."

Your OP

"North Carolina provides a striking example. The state’s congressional vote and delegation had usually split closely in the decade since 2002. In 2010, for example, the House delegation was 7 to 6 Democratic. After the 2011 gerrymandering however, the results no longer reflected the state’s fairly even partisan split. In 2012, the Democrats won more congressional votes than the Republicans, 50 percent to 48.9 percent, but the new gerrymandering gave the GOP a 9 to 4 congressional majority."

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2013/07/14/democrats-its-the-states-stupid/

Yep, I'm an idiot. I forgot there are two North Carolinas apparently. Guess I can't vote.

But again, this is no place do discuss politics (922 is about the only pereson who cares about real discourse0..so I will no longer waste my time.

I hope you're including yourself in this. You haven't shown much interest in discourse in this thread.

But I agree with you that 923 rocks.

For the past few years, Hulka has been totally irrational. He namecalls everyone who won't kiss his ass.

ONW showed specific numbers that dispute Hulka's premise. So Hulka immediately insulted him.

At one time Hulka was a good guy. Avalon did you dump him and break his heart?

Reactions: ONW
Hulka, do you think someone who doesn't support your candidate can be considered to be "informed?"

Cheers!

P7042213.JPG

County officials determined that 12 to 20 votes were cast using invalid addresses. They also found instances of improper IDs used to prove residency and at least eight instances of improper one-stop, absentee voting.

IDs, you say?

Paul Diverges From His Party Over Voter ID

Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky broke Friday with fellow Republicans who have pushed for stricter voting laws as a way to crack down on fraud at the polls, saying that the focus on such measures alienates and insults African-Americans and hurts the party.

“Everybody’s gone completely crazy on this voter ID thing,” Mr. Paul said in an interview. “I think it’s wrong for Republicans to go too crazy on this issue because it’s offending people.”

It's never really been about right and wrong. It's pure politics. The point is that a GOP leader is realizing that it hurts with outsiders more than it helps with the base.

Back