• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

That thing that never happens is happening again...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-voter-rolls-newsday-analysis-finds-1.6349860

Evelyn E. Burwell's family was surprised to learn she voted in the 2012 general and primary elections. They knew she was an avid voter, but she's been dead since 1997.

Burwell is one of about 6,100 deceased people still registered to vote in Nassau County, a Newsday computer analysis shows. The former Wantagh resident, who died at age 74, is also among roughly 270 people that records show voted in Nassau County after dying, a group that includes a man who voted 14 times since his death.

Newsday's analysis of voter registration and U.S. Social Security Administration death records found more deceased registered voters in Nassau County than any other New York county, accounting for nearly a quarter of the 26,500 on the rolls statewide. Suffolk County has about 2,490 deceased people registered to vote, with roughly 50 listed as voting after their death.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-voter-rolls-newsday-analysis-finds-1.6349860

Evelyn E. Burwell's family was surprised to learn she voted in the 2012 general and primary elections. They knew she was an avid voter, but she's been dead since 1997.

Burwell is one of about 6,100 deceased people still registered to vote in Nassau County, a Newsday computer analysis shows. The former Wantagh resident, who died at age 74, is also among roughly 270 people that records show voted in Nassau County after dying, a group that includes a man who voted 14 times since his death.

Newsday's analysis of voter registration and U.S. Social Security Administration death records found more deceased registered voters in Nassau County than any other New York county, accounting for nearly a quarter of the 26,500 on the rolls statewide. Suffolk County has about 2,490 deceased people registered to vote, with roughly 50 listed as voting after their death.

You should really keep reading.

"The votes attributed to the dead are too few, and spread over 20 elections since 2000, to consider them a coordinated fraud attempt. More likely is what investigators in other states have found when examining dead voter records: Clerical errors are to blame, such as a person's vote being assigned to a dead person with a similar name."

I'm excited about going on 50 different threads now following your posts with how you got served. Isn't that standard protocol?

You should really keep reading.

"The votes attributed to the dead are too few, and spread over 20 elections since 2000, to consider them a coordinated fraud attempt. More likely is what investigators in other states have found when examining dead voter records: Clerical errors are to blame, such as a person's vote being assigned to a dead person with a similar name."

I'm excited about going on 50 different threads now following your posts with how you got served. Isn't that standard protocol?

I did not argue it was a vast, leftwing conspiracy. I'm rebutting the wildly irresponsible yet oft alleged charge that it "never" happens. Once again, you are overplaying your hand.

I did not argue it was a vast, leftwing conspiracy. I'm rebutting the wildly irresponsible yet oft alleged charge that it "never" happens. Once again, you are overplaying your hand.

#neverfails #jhmdstilltiedwithph

Clerical errors =\= voter fraud. Also explain to me how voter ID would fix this, and close the possibility of the same problem happening via absentee voting please.

Almost all of them debunk the idea that voter ID laws would solve the problem.

Where is the link to this alleged argument you feel you've rebutted? B/c I got plenty of links to plenty of assertions that say it "never happens."

Well how about the article you just linked that said these were clerical errors.

Because it is a lot easier to forge a memory of a (publicly available record containing a) date than a government issued i.d.

So this post seems to contradict your earlier assertion that this is not part of some conspiracy to sway elections.

So this post seems to contradict your earlier assertion that this is not part of some conspiracy to sway elections.

The essence of "fraud" is dishonesty. The essence of a "conspiracy" is an agreement by two actors to work in concert. A series of independent, fraudulent acts can occur simultaneously of independent origin without necessarily requiring coordination. More to the point, the existence of (highly preventable) vulnerabilities in the system raises the prospect of their exploitation in a way that undermine the confidence in the outcome (and therefore, legitimacy) of elections. I remember well the protests that President Bush "stole" the 2000 election, and the many attempts to undermine the legitimacy of his claim to the office. If we could prevent that colossal waste of effort through the use of existing, readily-available means, I'd like to do that.

square_peg_round_hole.jpg

We've been discussing this whole time the fact that clerical errors occur? :wtftard:

The essence of "fraud" is dishonesty. The essence of a "conspiracy" is an agreement by two actors to work in concert. A series of independent, fraudulent acts can occur simultaneously of independent origin without necessarily requiring coordination. More to the point, the existence of (highly preventable) vulnerabilities in the system raises the prospect of their exploitation in a way that undermine the confidence in the outcome (and therefore, legitimacy) of elections. I remember well the protests that President Bush "stole" the 2000 election, and the many attempts to undermine the legitimacy of his claim to the office. If we could prevent that colossal waste of effort through the use of existing, readily-available means, I'd like to do that.

So why stop at IDs? Seems like fraudulent IDs are pretty easy to come by, at least they were when I was in HS. Shouldn't we support fingerprint voting?

So why stop at IDs? Seems like fraudulent IDs are pretty easy to come by, at least they were when I was in HS. Shouldn't we support fingerprint voting?

Makes sense to me. That would be much more effective against fraud than IDs.

Of course, the problem for jhmd is that the poors have fingers.

Makes sense to me. That would be much more effective against fraud than IDs.

Of course, the problem for jhmd is that the poors have fingers.

I've got a finger for you anytime you need one.

Back