• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The BB team captain is......

I hope he Sprewells this clown.
Not hoping it happens, but I would totally get it, and not fault Travis if he did it.

Moonz, I don't get your hatred of our players. They seem like good kids, Travis included, and there are no Walkers or Tabbs out there. And there's a modicum of talent with this group. With the exception of Washington, the sophs are at least ACC caliber players, Thomas is developing into a stud, and McKie is good. We have a lot of nice role players and are just lacking star power and coaching. I don't blame the players that we are the worst FG% defensive team in the ACC every year, just like Colorado was under Buzzdick. If you gave Tony Bennett these kids, you'd at least have a .500 team in conference and be playing in the NIT.
Was thinking the same thing, so it's not your cville bias.

"I've sat in on lectures about this new generation. OK, what really makes them think the way they do, and how best can I bring out the best in them? It was different when I grew up in the 60s. I walked into practice the other day. I love Stevie Nicks. And Travis (McKie) or somebody asked me 'Coach, what did you do last night?' I said Stevie Nicks was on TV, I was watching her. She's 65. And he goes 'Who?' So, my point is, it's just different."

- [Redacted] on trying to bridge the generation gap

I'm guessing this is totally made up, but if true, it wouldn't surprise me. Nothing that clown says or does surprises me.

Can't recall ever being less excited about a basketball season. Feel bad for our players.

lol unfuckingbelievable

approximate age (when they won) of the last five coaches who won NCAA Championships

2013: Pitino (61)
2012: Cal (53)
2011: Calhoun (69)
2010: K (63)
2009: Roy Williams (59)

Keep playing the generation gap card you stupid fuck.

"And Travis (McKie) or somebody asked me"

"I don't know which one it was. All my players look alike."

"Ask them which one it was. But, I tell you this... I could pick out Stevie Nicks in a lineup of goats. Easy as pie."

tRlwH.png

Not going to lose a minute of sleep over Travis McKie not being named captain.

I love how posters will spend an entire season talking about how Travis disappears, doesn't put forth 100% effort, etc - then rail on the decision to not name him the leader of this team. And while we hate [Redacted], it's not like these players are the first guys to play for a shitty coach. Plus they're also playing for Rusty and Randolph freaking Childress in the ACC. If you can't find the work ethic to make yourself a legit player by your senior year, that's on you. Just look at Devin or Moto or Rountree. Those guys are busting there asses regardless of the coaching situation - I have no problem rewarding them for it.

Anything that builds these kids up is a good thing right now. They seem to get along well, and if we have another terrible year and [Redacted] gets the axe, this is a squad that you can throw a top 50 player or two on top of and be instantly competitive at a National level. It's taken way, way too long to get here and the next step is likely not possible to take with [Redacted] at the helm - but if he's gone that next step isn't as far as most seem to think.

The disaster would be naming McKie captain, younger players resenting it, and then we start losing and Devin and Codi transfer over it.

Can't recall ever being less excited about a basketball season. Feel bad for our players.

i feel the same way. just do not care about this hoops season at all. something i never thought i'd say.

The disaster would be naming McKie captain, younger players resenting it, and then we start losing and Devin and Codi transfer over it.

When would Devin and Codi transfer? Now, despite spending the last 7 months getting ready for the season? After the season, when McKie is no longer around? It makes no sense because Travis was made captain.

If you can't find the work ethic to make yourself a legit player by your senior year, that's on you. Just look at Devin or Moto or Rountree. Those guys are busting there asses regardless of the coaching situation - I have no problem rewarding them for it.

I guess you are forgetting how hard Travis played as a freshman, huh?

I don't care that Travis didn't get named captain - it sounds like he didn't earn that title. No big deal. However, I find it problematic not to name any captain. I think the team needs to have a designated leader that can help provide direction, build morale, get people fired up, etc.

Whoever tagged "all leaders = no leaders" is dead on the money. I can't believe this idiot spent time traveling the country, talking to WINNERS, and decided it would be a good idea to pass on naming a team captain.

There was more to that story than you realize.

There arent many positives with the program right now, and that wasnt one either.

All that I will say right now is that the one guy many assume should be captain isnt as obvious a choice as many might imagine.

No, you really dont. And out of respect for all concerned, we will leave it at that ...

Is there anyway to lighten Baby's shade of green a little?

"I've sat in on lectures about this new generation. OK, what really makes them think the way they do, and how best can I bring out the best in them? It was different when I grew up in the 60s. I walked into practice the other day. I love Stevie Nicks. And Travis (McKie) or somebody asked me 'Coach, what did you do last night?' I said Stevie Nicks was on TV, I was watching her. She's 65. And he goes 'Who?' So, my point is, it's just different."

- [Redacted] on trying to bridge the generation gap

Fleetwood sucks

I love how posters will spend an entire season talking about how Travis disappears, doesn't put forth 100% effort, etc - then rail on the decision to not name him the leader of this team. And while we hate [Redacted], it's not like these players are the first guys to play for a shitty coach. Plus they're also playing for Rusty and Randolph freaking Childress in the ACC. If you can't find the work ethic to make yourself a legit player by your senior year, that's on you. Just look at Devin or Moto or Rountree. Those guys are busting there asses regardless of the coaching situation - I have no problem rewarding them for it.

Anything that builds these kids up is a good thing right now. They seem to get along well, and if we have another terrible year and [Redacted] gets the axe, this is a squad that you can throw a top 50 player or two on top of and be instantly competitive at a National level. It's taken way, way too long to get here and the next step is likely not possible to take with [Redacted] at the helm - but if he's gone that next step isn't as far as most seem to think.

Then name Devin or Moto or Rountree captain.

Great post all around.

Whoever tagged "all leaders = no leaders" is dead on the money. I can't believe this idiot spent time traveling the country, talking to WINNERS, and decided it would be a good idea to pass on naming a team captain.

Ahhh, but according to this article:

[Redacted] got the idea of no named captain from his travels!

BIGGEST SURPRISE
During the offseason, [Redacted] said he traveled the country meeting with numerous other coaches, trying to pick up new strategies and concepts. One idea that stuck with him was not naming permanent captains.

"This way, everybody is involved in this program and everybody's invested," [Redacted] said. "When I heard that, it just kind of resonated with me."
Sophomore Madison Jones said he'd never been on a team without captains and that it will likely force everyone to have more of a voice.
"We've all got the same amount of respect for one another, we all have something to do with leadership and we all have a role," Jones said. ". I think it will be good for our team, knowing we don't have any captains since we're all around the same age. We all have the same amount of respect for each other so we all have to live up to what we have to do."

Maybe he talked to coaches of Optimist Soccer as well? Everyone gets a chance to be captain for at least one game! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! And we all get participation trophies! ALRIGHT!

Then name Devin or Moto or Rountree captain.

That's what I probably would have done. Maybe it was too much of a slap in the face to McKie. [Redacted] choosing the path of least resistance isn't exactly new or shocking.

Why would Rountree be named captain? I'm not sure he will get 20 minutes a game.

Maybe McKie wasn't named captain because he won't be around for the season...

(that's absolute and total speculation on my part, don't read anything into it beyond that. Don't request a PM either)

Back