• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Mother's Basement HOT STOVE Offseason Thread

Feldman deal makes Vargas deal look a little better, right? RIGHT?

Starting pitching (Kazmir, Vargas, Nolasco, Hughes, Feldman, etc.) is just silly expensive on the FA market right now, which makes the Tigers' Fister trade even more curious.

I've convinced myself into not being so upset about the Feldman deal. Seems like he was our 3rd or 4th option this offseason, and it sucks we missed out on other guys, but oh well. I also have a really hard time evaluating any Astros acquisitions up front because the FO has made clear that they're using non-public data and algorithms to make their decisions. Someone asked Jeff Luhnow about xFIP once, and he basically just said they don't ever use it because they have their own metrics which are allegedly more predictive.

Jason A. Churchill ‏@ProspectInsider 13s
Word I get from source says "this is just the start. They're in on everyone, always, and now have $$. This is very legitimate. All of it."

mariners finna get choo and napoli and trade for price. #ALLIN

mariners finna get choo and napoli and trade for price. #ALLIN

Choo, nap, Cruz, Beltran is what I'm seeing. Then a push for price. I doubt they have enough money to afford all of them, but enough for 2-3. What was their payroll like last year?

Choo, nap, Cruz, Beltran is what I'm seeing. Then a push for price. I doubt they have enough money to afford all of them, but enough for 2-3. What was their payroll like last year?

i'd think they could easily run at $120-150 given they were around $120 in 2008-2009. they're at $70 right now w/ cano i think.

So how did the M's end up with such a ridiculous TV deal? All the TV revenue stuff is so bonkers. Poor Astros.

So how did the M's end up with such a ridiculous TV deal? All the TV revenue stuff is so bonkers. Poor Astros.

bc they have that whole pacific nw region. san fran is the closest team otherwise 12 hrs away, right?

Man, the Mariners really don’t have any contracts other than King Felix. Would it make sense to go after Tanaka / Jimenez instead of Price and slot Walker into the rotation (or start him in AAA so he can come up during the year if they need a 6th starter)?

Where's dv7 with all this Mariners craziness going on?

bc they have that whole pacific nw region. san fran is the closest team otherwise 12 hrs away, right?

It's weird that the Portland Trailblazers struggle so mightily with their deal, then.

I mostly don't understand how these TV deals work. It's not really by population, it's by viewership. But it's also not about current viewership: it's about potential viewership, since they are usually 20-year deals. I'm not sure the industry has really figured out how to measure that stuff properly, but prices were exploding until about 2009/2010, when the distributors decided they had been getting fleeced and wanted these things to be much cheaper.

Incidentally, that's when the Astros decided to launch their network :(

Man, the Mariners really don’t have any contracts other than King Felix. Would it make sense to go after Tanaka / Jimenez instead of Price and slot Walker into the rotation (or start him in AAA so he can come up during the year if they need a 6th starter)?

one thing price provides is a ST, cheap deal allowing them to augment in other places from FA. as folks have pointed out, the cano deal has it's most value in the short-term. adding price, napoli, cruz, etc. (guys looking at 2-4 year deals) lines up in that regard more than going hard after tanaka or jimenez, and he's a much better bet to produce.

one thing price provides is a ST, cheap deal allowing them to augment in other places from FA. as folks have pointed out, the cano deal has it's most value in the short-term. adding price, napoli, cruz, etc. (guys looking at 2-4 year deals) lines up in that regard more than going hard after tanaka or jimenez, and he's a much better bet to produce.

It’s the ST that would worry me. DP will likely have a bigger impact over the next two years than any other option, but holding on to those prospects and signing free agent pitching gives them a better fallback down the road if their big moves are not immediately successful (Royals, Blue Jays, Angels). Cano (and Choo, Tanaka) will be good for longer than two years, why push all the chips in rather than trying to build a longer window?

Also, they'll still have those prospects so they can make moves in-season when they have a better idea of their ability to compete with Texas and Oakland.

(Or maybe I'm just terribly risk-averse.)

well i think that if the m's don't get price and instead pay more for tanaka or jimenez they will be less able to sign one of the other bats. or at least that's part of the equation.

I am surprised Peter Angelos has not made claim to that territory thus causing the league to appease him by giving him half the Ms TV rights.

I am surprised Peter Angelos has not made claim to that territory thus causing the league to appease him by giving him half the Ms TV rights.

Really don't feel sorry for Nats. You stole tons of O's territory and signed the deal giving money to Angelos. Don't like it, then don't move to Washington or don't sign the deal.

Now I wish he spent more of the money on the team, but that's another issue.

Really don't feel sorry for Nats. You stole tons of O's territory and signed the deal giving money to Angelos. Don't like it, then don't move to Washington or don't sign the deal.

Now I wish he spent more of the money on the team, but that's another issue.

The deal was signed by MLB before the team was sold to Washington ownership. Proving once and for all that Bud is just like everyone else...scared as hell of a trial lawyer.

i'm sure that deal played a role in the valuation of the franchise.

i'm sure that deal played a role in the valuation of the franchise.

Probably but that really only means something to the Learners....especially if they win the lawsuit to win back the TV rights.

Back