• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

And why is it such a taboo for me to drink in an Uber car ? Why do you think you have a job driving for Uber in the first place ? It's because I'm too drunk to drive or on my way to being too drunk to drive !

I've always found it ridiculous that I have to keep my kid in a booster seat in my car until 8yrs/80lbs, yet every day he rides on a schoolbus, owned/driven by the state, for 2 hours with 25 kids jumping around without even a seatbelt. I don't mind the booster seat requirement, but the hypocrisy is absurd.

agree

I didn't know if the Uber fella would let me in cause of laws or what not. I'm not used to US style rule of law.

travel books claim taxis and such can/will refuse to transport babies out of seats but I think that's probably just a CYA situation; In Hawaii we had to take a van-shuttle to Pearl Harbor and we had to lap-hold our 11 mo old. never tried with an actual taxi/uber w/out a seat

I've always found it ridiculous that I have to keep my kid in a booster seat in my car until 8yrs/80lbs, yet every day he rides on a schoolbus, owned/driven by the state, for 2 hours with 25 kids jumping around without even a seatbelt. I don't mind the booster seat requirement, but the hypocrisy is absurd.

You're just mad the government is involved.

For those with peanut/treenut allergies, would you mind sharing how you found out and/or how they manifest?

Our oldest (4) has not exhibited anything. She eats PB all the time. Although I don't believe she has ever had almonds or cashews.

The younger one (10 mon) has been given PB twice and both times he got a slight redness/rash around his mouth. No other obvious symptoms or any sign of anaphylaxis. We are going to chat with the doc about it at his 12 mon checkup and have just not given him any PB in the meantime. But didn't know if that could be a precursor to a more serious reaction down the road, or what.

We gave my son peanut butter crackers when he was a toddler. He threw them up shortly thereafter. A year later, we gave him PB&J and he started struggling to breathe. We went to the ER and then to the allergist who tested him and found out he's allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts, save one. We don't know which one, and it's for the better.

Myself and a friend of mine developed ours around puberty. It stated as a rash, a few years later as a migraine, and now for her as anaphylactic shock. Get you daughter tested asap.

Everybody should get their kids tested. There are allergens like wheat and soy that are very common that could be silently causing health problems. There are potentially fatal allergens like nuts and shellfish that some people may not eat often.

Everybody should get their kids tested. There are allergens like wheat and soy that are very common that could be silently causing health problems. There are potentially fatal allergens like nuts and shellfish that some people may not eat often.

I'm soy and it took us years to diagnose.

this is what I think of every time I hear someone say they hold their baby in their lap in a moving car. Skip ahead to 3:00 minute mark unless you reallly like to see Rosie Perez cry.

My daughter had eczema until she was almost one. Turns out eczema is now associated with peanut allergies and you should feed kids with eczema peanuts early (under doctor supervision!) That greatly reduces the likelihood of developing a peanut allergy. An allergy wasn't on our radar early on cuz there is no family history. The research is fairly new but I'm kinda pissed at our pediatrician for not being aware of it and on the ball to have us introduce peanuts early.

Her peanut allergy presented as hives all over her face when I gave her peanut butter at 1.

Thanks, all on the allergy feedback. Sounds like we have some testing to do!

In terms of booster seats we were looking into it recently and most booster seats have a 40lb low limit (can't remember height). Recommendation is still a 5 point harness for younger, but I think if over 40lbs you could get a small, more portable, booster seat to bring with you if you didn't want to bring the whole car seat. They're also easier to use quickly with the existing seatbelt.

Thanks for the feedback on the allergies. We are seeing the allergist on Tuesday. How bad is the testing? She's 2.5 for some context.

Food testing is generally done with a blood test, especially at that age. Prick testing is possible in some cases. So depending on your doctor it could be either

I'm fairly sure nut allergys are just hippy bullshit. Toughen up

Last edited:
Speaking of pricks.

25% of parents think their kids have food allergies. 4% actually do. 1 in 5 of those actually need treatment. And as many kids die from food allergies as do from lightning strikes. But go ahead, get freaked out about a rash.

My daughter had a peanut allergy at age 1ish. By 5, she had grown out of it. We gave her a PBJ and she got blotchy and her eyes began to swell. Did the allergist test and voila, no allergy a few years later. Also, she was definitely exposed accidentally to peanuts during that time. It's hard to avoid peanuts all the time.

Back