• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Walking Dead SEASON FIVE THREAD! Good news: Show's back Bad news: So is Hardwick

This explains the walking dead virus fairly well.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Zombies

Very good...exactly the answer I was looking for (thanks):

Robert Kirkman wrote:

The rule is: WHATEVER it is that causes the zombies, is something everyone already has. If you stub your toe, get an infection and die, you turn into a zombie, UNLESS your brain is damaged. If someone shoots you in the head and you die, you're dead. A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss, not because of the zombie "virus."

Zombie Bites
Zombie bites do not kill because of the zombie pathogen, but rather the unsanitary nature of their mouths due to diet and decomposition. Scratches cause similar infections for similar reasons. Their mouths and saliva often contain several septic factors, specifically the bacteria: E. coli, Staphylococcus sp., Providencia sp., Proteus morgani, P. mirabilis, and multocida. The rapid growth of these bacteria tends to cause extremely virulent strains that are highly resistant to antibiotics, and most often lethal. It can be assumed, however, that an undetermined number of original "outbreak" cases involved recently-reanimated zombies that were relatively intact and "clean", biting others and still causing infectious deaths, indicating that there is a possibility of the zombie "virus" itself producing lethal, transmittable organisms within zombies upon reanimation.

Symptoms of infection
The first form of the infection was the transmission of the pathogen from an undead host to a living body via bites and scratches. The second form is already contained within all living people, and merely requires the death of the host to activate the zombie condition. The pathogen causing reanimation is not independently fatal and lies dormant within a host until the host dies of another cause. In the case of Walker attacks, the cause of death is generally infection by necrotic biological debris and other infectious agents contained in that debris (for example, saliva from a bite).

Haha...I was looking for something concrete from an actual source (ex. quotes from the show or from the showrunners/writers/creators) instead of a fanboy's interpretation.

No offense.

Um ...

Rick: We're all infected.
Daryl: What?
Rick: At the C.D.C., Jenner told me. Whatever it is, we all carry it.

Alright...I guess you guys think I'm mentally handicapped...

I have understood that everyone is infected and that any death that doesn't destroy the brain leads to people reanimating and becoming walkers...

It was the part about bites and their lethality that I was questioning:

Robert Kirkman wrote:

The rule is: WHATEVER it is that causes the zombies, is something everyone already has. If you stub your toe, get an infection and die, you turn into a zombie, UNLESS your brain is damaged. If someone shoots you in the head and you die, you're dead. A zombie bite kills you because of infection, or blood loss, not because of the zombie "virus."

Zombie Bites
Zombie bites do not kill because of the zombie pathogen, but rather the unsanitary nature of their mouths due to diet and decomposition. Scratches cause similar infections for similar reasons. Their mouths and saliva often contain several septic factors, specifically the bacteria: E. coli, Staphylococcus sp., Providencia sp., Proteus morgani, P. mirabilis, and multocida. The rapid growth of these bacteria tends to cause extremely virulent strains that are highly resistant to antibiotics, and most often lethal. It can be assumed, however, that an undetermined number of original "outbreak" cases involved recently-reanimated zombies that were relatively intact and "clean", biting others and still causing infectious deaths, indicating that there is a possibility of the zombie "virus" itself producing lethal, transmittable organisms within zombies upon reanimation.

Symptoms of infection
The first form of the infection was the transmission of the pathogen from an undead host to a living body via bites and scratches. The second form is already contained within all living people, and merely requires the death of the host to activate the zombie condition. The pathogen causing reanimation is not independently fatal and lies dormant within a host until the host dies of another cause. In the case of Walker attacks, the cause of death is generally infection by necrotic biological debris and other infectious agents contained in that debris (for example, saliva from a bite). [/quote]

But thanks anyway :thumbsup:

One thing I was little unclear on is if they don't know what causes the outbreak saying it could be microbe, virus, prion, etc... Then what is Jenner testing for in their blood to know that they are all infected?

One thing I was little unclear on is if they don't know what causes the outbreak saying it could be microbe, virus, prion, etc... Then what is Jenner testing for in their blood to know that they are all infected?

He was testing for everything....it was only anecdotal evidence that led him to realize that everyone turns....the fact that people who were isolated from the zombie population turned after dying. (at least as far as my simple brain can understand)

I guess...but when he tested the group's blood when they showed up at the CDC, he said there were "no surprises". The way he phrased it seemed liked foreshadowing. So it seemed to me like there was something in the blood that he could test for.

I guess...but when he tested the group's blood when they showed up at the CDC, he said there were "no surprises". The way he phrased it seemed liked foreshadowing. So it seemed to me like there was something in the blood that he could test for.

Ask DF07...I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

It was foreshadowing. Everyone is infected.

The reason I like the bacterial explanation is because there are real animal examples of it, like the komodo dragon:

Auffenberg described the Komodo dragon as having septic pathogens in its saliva (he described the saliva as "reddish and copious"), specifically the bacteria E. coli, Staphylococcus sp., Providencia sp., Proteus morgani, and P. mirabilis.[SUP][29][/SUP] [...] Saliva samples were analyzed by researchers at the University of Texas, who found 57 strains of bacteria growing in the mouths of three wild Komodo dragons, including Pasteurella multocida.[SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][34][/SUP] The rapid growth of these bacteria was noted by Fredeking: "Normally it takes about three days for a sample of P. multocida to cover a Petri dish; ours took eight hours. We were very taken aback by how virulent these strains were".[SUP][35][/SUP] This study supported the observation that wounds inflicted by the Komodo dragon are often associated with sepsis and subsequent infections in prey animals.[SUP][34][/SUP] How the Komodo dragon is unaffected by these virulent bacteria remains a mystery.[SUP][35][/SUP]

The reason I like the bacterial explanation is because there are real animal examples of it, like the komodo dragon:

Auffenberg described the Komodo dragon as having septic pathogens in its saliva (he described the saliva as "reddish and copious"), specifically the bacteria E. coli, Staphylococcus sp., Providencia sp., Proteus morgani, and P. mirabilis.[SUP][29][/SUP] [...] Saliva samples were analyzed by researchers at the University of Texas, who found 57 strains of bacteria growing in the mouths of three wild Komodo dragons, including Pasteurella multocida.[SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][34][/SUP] The rapid growth of these bacteria was noted by Fredeking: "Normally it takes about three days for a sample of P. multocida to cover a Petri dish; ours took eight hours. We were very taken aback by how virulent these strains were".[SUP][35][/SUP] This study supported the observation that wounds inflicted by the Komodo dragon are often associated with sepsis and subsequent infections in prey animals.[SUP][34][/SUP] How the Komodo dragon is unaffected by these virulent bacteria remains a mystery.[SUP][35][/SUP]

Obviously, Komodo Dragons are zombies.

That was a good one. Even I don't have too many complaints.

And it is pretty clear that it is the pre-teen girl that is feeding the zombies rats. Stupid girl.

This new show runner is good. I like that he doesn't leave things open for interpretation for viewers. Case in point, the direct reference to swine/bird flu by Hershel. He might as well have looked at the screen and said "DO YOU UNDERSTAND, SLIM?!?"

Got to think Rick is the one that burned the body of Cutty's girl. He was fine stepping down from his position of authority to become a farmer, but his conversation with Daryl, followed by the sacrificing of the pigs and getting his gun back, indicate that he's back in the game, ready to do what's necessary for the group. In short, 0 fucks Rick is back.

This show is so dumb, but I keep watching it.

WTF was up with the two burnt bodies? One was apparently Cutty's woman, but why were they burnt and not just killed? I'm guessing to stave off whatever flu is going around?

Also, why did they have to off her? There's only so much good looking ass in that jail and I'm tired of having to look at the old gray haired lesbian haircut chick. Whenever they cut to Herschel's daughter, she's always doing some loveydovey stupid shit with her BF. Hersch's youngest daughter is starting to fill out nicely though. Might be some spank bankable material from her in the near future, as long as Carl isn't around to be a bonerkill.

Back