• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Thursday Night TV Thread

I just read that Awake's cancellation is a done deal. As is the Chelsea Handler show and 2 others I never even heard of: Best Friends Forever and Bent.

So it sounds like 30 Rock has been renewed for a shortened 13-episode final season.

Really wish this is what they would do with Office. It had a good run (through about 5 seasons anyway) but it's past time to end it. Wish they'd write a good ending for it and hang it up.

in the world with the son alive Rex says that Emma lost the baby where as in the world with his wife, Emma is still pregnant. but Michael knew to go check with Emma because he found out from his son that he had gotten her pregnant right before the accident

That's right, I forgot she lost it in Rex's world.

Me and the girlfriend were hoping, nay, praying for Ben to get the fuck out to Washington. Terrible. Tom and Anne's relationship, also terrible. The show became 20 minutes of crap for 2 minutes of Andy this season

Me and the girlfriend were hoping, nay, praying for Ben to get the fuck out to Washington. Terrible. Tom and Anne's relationship, also terrible. The show became 20 minutes of crap for 2 minutes of Andy this season

Disagree. This season P&R found its emotional voice. The relationship between Ben and Leslie is very sweet, and I would guess it connects with most audiences. I agree with Anne and Tom though. I think they just aren't sure what to do with Tommy Fresh. He has to feature prominently though. I think the writers struggle to include supporting characters without relationships. Ron, Donna, and Gary Gurgitch are the only ones that they seem to be able to write for.

I disagree further. I don't think the show has weakened at all. This past season's writing has been excellent with Leslie running for office. The Ben/Ann foil has been awesome. Paul Rudd is hysterical as always, but I was dying when he asked what the boom mic was in the finale. Ron is perfect, as are Andy, Donna, and Gary. I found myself wanting a few times with Tom and Chris, since those two are so talented, but they make me laugh once an ep. Loved the Jean Ralphio cameo too. It's the best written network sitcom, and its not really close. 30 Rock is a bunch of writers jacking each other off (though I love it), and Modern Family is good, but carried by the actors and not the writers. They type-ify the characters too much, though it often makes for hilarity. After those, not sure what really competes.

I tried to watch that Chelsea Handler show a few times on Hulu and it was just fucking awful. I started to watch a South Korean soap opera with subtitles instead because it was more enjoyable.

Good posts on Parks & Rec. They definitely have an Ann and Tom problem, so they experimented with pairing them up. It worked a few times (like when Ann and Leslie were in Tom's apartment). The issue is that basically Ann is Leslie's "girlfriend". They're actually a pretty lovey-dovey couple. Heck, I'd wager there are few couples on sitcoms who love and admire each other as much as Ann and Leslie. Problem is Ann has to take a backseat to Leslie's love interest, so there isn't much for Ann to do. They could actually use Ben's time in DC to reestablish the Leslie-Ann dynamic and give Ben an interesting DC plot.

Tom's just funny. They could put him pretty much anywhere and it would work. He was great with 720. I think he needs a success. He needs an idea that really works, but keeps him in the parks department for some reason.

Townie's take on Modern Family was on point. The writing is decent but they're basically just throwing stuff around. And they haven't really developed the characters much. They're just funny. This week's Disneyland ep was funny, especially since I watched it hours after returning from Magic Kingdom. The Mitch-Cam plot with putting Lily on a leash was hilarious and close to home. My son's about a year younger than her and he's a runner, too.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm just not that big a fan of Rashida Jones. I liked her a lot as Karen on The Office, but I just don't think she has much of a range beyond being hot or making a frumpy face at something. Ann Perkins made me laugh when she was with Andy, but Andy + April = GOLD.

I don't even think she's all that hot. I don't think she has much range either. She's a "straight man" though. She's someone for funny people like Leslie, Andy, and Tom to play off of.

I really strongly disagree that the show is as funny as it was. They're trying to throw things out there and hoping something sticks imo and it was not sticking for me this season (I don't know any other way you would explain Tom and Ann, for instance). But whatevs glad y'all are still enjoying it just as much, and glad it got renewed

I really strongly disagree that the show is as funny as it was. They're trying to throw things out there and hoping something sticks imo and it was not sticking for me this season (I don't know any other way you would explain Tom and Ann, for instance). But whatevs glad y'all are still enjoying it just as much, and glad it got renewed

I guess what you call "throwing things out there and hoping something sticks" I would consider trying new things. One of the best things shows can do in their first five seasons is matching up characters in ways they haven't been before. Think Ron + Donna + Tom trying to get the vans for senior citizens. It hasn't worked particularly well yet with Ann and Tom. Their chemistry just isn't there like it has been with Tom's previous chicks. Not sure the writing is to blame, because I thought the stuff about his dream and then the payoff with "NostraTomus" was awesome. But like you say, difference of opinions.

i can't tell if people are cally Jerry 'Gary' to be funny, but if not its hysterical that people don't know the correct name of the character that is always forgotten about

i can't tell if people are cally Jerry 'Gary' to be funny, but if not its hysterical that people don't know the correct name of the character that is always forgotten about

I don't think I've ever seen a more ironic post.

Community's 13 episodes in the fall moving to Friday nights at 8:30 with freaking Whitney as a lead-in.

I smell sabotage so they can finally kill the show.

Back