• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TMZ Reports Jameis Winston Being Investigated For Sexual Assault

Not in a high profile case like this. The DA him/herself is going to be involved and a meeting or 2 between the relevant prosecutors and high level cops will take place before anyone goes to a magistrate for an arrest warrant. They don't want any mud on any of their faces and will approach this very carefully. We had a high profile case like this in the county surrounding Cville this past year where a county supervisor was charged with sexual assault. Much investigation and multiple deliberative meetings involving cops and CAs took place before that arrest warrant was issued. It was an acquaintance rape case where the victim did wait something like 12 days before going to the authorities. He most likely wouldn't have been convicted had it gone to trial, but he plead it to a misdemeanor sexual assault charge where his name didn't have to go in a registry and where he had to serve a couple of weekends or something. A trial would have been expensive, and I got the sense that neither side wanted to go through that kind of time, effort and expense - hence the very light plea.

It was still really expensive. He was in my class in law school and was a weird dude.

It was still really expensive. He was in my class in law school and was a weird dude.

And now is gone and no one seems to know where he is. It did kill his political career. Hope he reassesses and things go well for him in his next incarnation.

Tomahawk Nation is just positing that this is jockeying to set up a civil case on behalf of the alleged victim. That's relatively pathetic coverage IMO by a media outlet. I thought we got out of this blame the victim/assume the worst of the victim thing a while back. I suppose not.

Ouch. Those questions and allegations from the family will require some splaining, or at least summing up.

Tomahawk Nation is just positing that this is jockeying to set up a civil case on behalf of the alleged victim. That's relatively pathetic coverage IMO by a media outlet. I thought we got out of this blame the victim/assume the worst of the victim thing a while back. I suppose not.

i'm not sure I agree that acknowledging the family is laying groundwork for a civil case and blaming/assuming the worst of the victim are the same thing

I'm honestly surprised no one has found out the identity of the victim and began a massive slut-shaming campaign yet.

i'm not sure I agree that acknowledging the family is laying groundwork for a civil case and blaming/assuming the worst of the victim are the same thing

Well when coupled with their earlier articles that they believe the accusations are likely false, I took this as them changing their focus on "this isn't true and there is scant evidence" to "they're going to lose on the criminal matter so they're pursuing the civil route instead." I may have taken this the wrong way, but there hasn't been much focus from the website on whether or not the accusations are true or not - more of an implicit understanding that they're not.

I think the reason that the alleged victim is now making these statements is partially because of "positioning" in some regards, but mainly because they feel that they do have a pretty solid civil case if everything they allege is true.

Most outlets have just said something like "how horrible if true" (not saying that this is the best way to respond, just showing what most objective reporting sources are saying) and here is what Tomahawk Nation said in their article on the topic:

This statement is not a good look for TPD. But, it might actually be realistic advice if the evidence was very weak. The unfortunate reality is that in an era of social media, the alleged victim's life will indeed be turned upside down if a case were to happen, even though the mainstream media will likely not identify her. And if the probability of a conviction (or even a charge) is quite low for whatever reason, the alleged victim would have a choice to make. Of course, this is assuming the detective actually said this to the family.

It's also important to note that Winston was in no way a celebrity at the time of the alleged statement (early January).

The family also reportedly complained that the TPD refused to collect Winston's DNA, interview his roommate, etc. And they are unhappy that Winston's attorney was notified, while, according to them, they awaited blood work results until April.

The statement implied that the TPD had reason to interview Winston's roommate and collect Winston's DNA -- facts that have not been established.

Entire article can be viewed here: http://www.tomahawknation.com/2013/...ation-report-says-family-claims-tpd-detective

It seems to me that TN is viewing this through a VERY cynical lens towards the victim and is covering this VERY subjectively.

22890, I'm having a hard time believing the victim isn't pursuing criminal charges but is going to file a civil suit. I'd think the chances of winning a civil suit at trial without having pursued criminal charges would be very slim.

I don't disagree with that. It's also why I don't understand the point of view that the alleged victim is solely trying to position themselves well for a civil case.

I would be very surprised if Jameis is not in cuffs fairly soon.

I thought it was given that Jameis had sex with the accuser.

Back