• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Official Pit Dynasty Fantasy Football League Thread

Since we have had our first official trade of the new league, I wanted to post a few reminders in case you hadn't reviewed the front page of this thread or hadn't had a chance to read through the bylaws just yet:

• The league is Superflex. That means you can start 2 QBs each week, one at QB and one in the Superflex spot.
  • The league uses 0.5 point per reception scoring. There is a TE premium for an additional 0.25 points per reception for players listed as a TE on Sleeper.
  • All draft picks up to three years out are tradeable assets, including all picks within the initial startup draft (as we have seen already with D14 and tic)
  • Each team has 4 taxi squad spots for any players with fewer than 2 years of NFL experience; those taxi squad spots lock Week 1 (i.e., you can remove someone from taxi but cannot put anyone on after Week 1 starts)
We are still waiting for a few more people to vote on what they would like the buy-in to be. Right now we are very close to a majority voting for $100, and I will make a judgement call probably a week before the draft starts if we haven't received a majority at that point. If you haven't voted, go to Sleeper and scroll up in the league chat to find the poll.

I haven't even looked at anything draft related yet and somehow TIC and D14 exchanged 5 draft picks. Enjoy my $100 everybody lol
Some people are just addicted to trading, doesn’t mean either of us made a good move lol

I don’t even know how to strategize for a dynasty league but I’m gonna run all over you fools

I don’t even know how to strategize for a dynasty league but I’m gonna run all over you fools
In all sincerity, there’s quite a few dynasty fantasy football startup guides/content out there that will walk you through how to value different things (youth, rookie draft picks, QBs, etc). The valuation of players can vary pretty significantly from redraft fantasy football.

I’d recommend anyone that hasn’t played dynasty before to spend some time familiarizing yourself with the ideas before the draft, you’ll have much more fun that way.

While attempting to avoid influencing you in any way, the most common general roster construction strategies for startups are either going more youth-heavy with eyes toward long-term, consistent contention for prizes, or going win-now and trying to dominate the early seasons of a league. The specific positional construction of a team depends largely on what pick you get and if you want to move around the draft by trading picks to hit specific players and/or specific positions, but the overall strategy is usually focused on when you want to contend and for how long do you want your window of contention to be.

One question pertaining to taxi squads. Can we use that for handcuff positions as well (with caveat that if we move them to bench they can’t go back to taxi obviously) or is this solely for folks in their first two years in the NFL?

One question pertaining to taxi squads. Can we use that for handcuff positions as well (with caveat that if we move them to bench they can’t go back to taxi obviously) or is this solely for folks in their first two years in the NFL?
Taxi squads are intended for rookies or young players that may eventually have fantasy value, but are not really worth rostering at the moment.

So, handcuff players that are older aren’t qualified to be on taxi, nor should they be as that isn’t really the purpose of the taxi squad

It’s restricted to just those in their first two years. As D14 outlined, it's intended for teams to stash young players for long-term benefit. For example, in 2017 a manager might have taken Patrick Mahomes and put him on taxi because they knew he was redshirting a year, but down the line he was going to get a shot as a starter. But you wouldn't take Tyler Huntley and be able to put him on taxi in case Lamar gets hurt again, he would just have to take up a standard bench spot.

Makes sense. Just read a couple dynasty articles that referenced keeping handcuff players there and wanted to make sure I understood our rule set

Makes sense. Just read a couple dynasty articles that referenced keeping handcuff players there and wanted to make sure I understood our rule set
Probably referencing taxi-eligible players who were drafted with clear RB2 or something like that. Or a guy who was a rookie last year who is likely to get elevated to backup and has clear fantasy upside if he can get starter workloads due to injury.

Taking this morning to dig into my rankings and start getting the draft board built up. You're all on notice !

For those that are new to the dynasty fantasy realm, I wanted to post a few resources just to keep in mind as you prepare and really start to get into dynasty. These are not required reading or anything, the only requirement that I have is everyone reads over the bylaws, pays the buy-in, and then tries their hardest. But if you do want to dive deeper, here's some things that I have used before and/or like to utilize:
  • Dynasty League Football's Dynasty Essentials: As good a Dynasty 101 guide online as you could ask for. Articles for the basics of dynasty fantasy, dynasty strategies, and more. The articles are pretty dated now for specific player comparisons (most were written around 2012-13), but the general information and recommendations are solid, highly recommend perusing this site for at least a bit if you are brand new to dynasty.
  • Jake Ciely (The Athletic) Dynasty Rankings: Jake Ciely is a fantasy football contributor at The Athletic so you probably will need a subscription (or bum one). But if you do subscribe to The Athletic, Jake has a post-draft rankings for all players and for just rookies each year. Also can be sorted by Superflex which does change the rankings significantly. Any decent fantasy site usually will have dynasty rankings available, pick your favorite and adjust as needed.
  • KeepTradeCut Trade Calculator: KTC is a free trade calculator tool that allows you to put together trades and estimate whether the value of the trade matches up. You can also set it to startup mode and Superflex filter so if you want to follow in D14 and tic's footsteps and trade startup picks, it'll help with that as well.
  • DynastyFF Subreddit: I offer this one with a few grains of salt. It's one of the largest dynasty fantasy communities online outside of general Twitter threads/responses, and there are topics that come up that have good conversation and can be valuable if you sift through a lot of the noise.
  • Podcasts/YouTube: I don't think I have to tell this group that everyone has a podcast or YouTube channel nowadays. But there are some good ones out there and this more than any of the above is purely a matter of preference. You can find someone talking about any topic you can think of, whether it's post-draft rookie rankings, draft pick trading, what to do with an aging player, literally anything. So if you are inclined to audio/video media rather than articles, I encourage you to check out any of the dozens of options out there and find your favorites, especially during the offseason when the real magic happens.
I will also post these links in the OP for easy reference in the future.

Last edited:
Checked the league again this afternoon. Looks like at the very least a plurality of the league members have voted for a $100 buy-in. I will post my Venmo username in the Sleeper league to send buy-ins. With it being a more condensed timeframe, I will allow for buy-ins to come in up til Week 1 so we can make sure to get the draft going. In future years, per the bylaws, we will have buy-ins due before the annual draft occurs.

One week until the draft starts, will also send a reminder on Sleeper. Hopefully YB is travelling safely and gets back in one piece.

I'm gonna be at some lake house in Michigah from thurs-sun. I didn't make the arrangements so really hoping I have cell service or wifi, but my apologies in advance if it takes me a few hours to make a pick.

I'm gonna be at some lake house in Michigah from thurs-sun. I didn't make the arrangements so really hoping I have cell service or wifi, but my apologies in advance if it takes me a few hours to make a pick.
Hey, we are all probably happy to make a few picks for you if necessary... ; ) C'mon down, Andy Dalton

Back