• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Sometimes it's difficult to socialize with Buttermaker. At a table of 10 and appetizers/drinks flowing, he had the nerve to ask the waitress for plates. PLATES!

Facepalm

Fortunately one of my table mates refused to accept her ridiculous answer.

Yep. I actually liked rock ola. It was sad when they all closed.

Actually, they didn't all close (technically). Some (most?) of them were re-branded into Kick Back Jacks. My wife used to work in their corporate offices (same company also owns and operates Tripps) pre-kids. I miss the one in High Point where Hooters is now.

Last edited:
The kick back jacks in gso is trying to be a breastaurant but they don't seem able to find enough quality talent. Sad.

My Lenten resolution this past year was to give up meat. I went out with some friends to Ham's of Thruway a week or so before Easter and, sick of salads, just decided to get a grilled cheese and drink beer. Our waitress informed me that the only grilled cheese they could make was on the kid's menu. Not being very hungry and having no shame, I asked if I could order it. She said she'd need to check with the manager. Five minutes later, she came back and said the answer was no because I was a grown-ass man. But, she said, they could charge me for a BLT, and then have the kitchen remove the bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes and add cheese. True story.

Ha, way to alienate a customer over three dollars. My son got the grilled cheese and with the side chips it's enough of a meal for a grown-ass man.

I've always figured restaurants turn a nice profit off kids' meals. They grab some frozen nuggets or a cheap hot dog out the freezer, microwave it up with some pre-made macaroni, all of which together cost them like 15 cents wholesale, and sell it to desperate parents for $5.99. Has to be more margin than they're turning on the fresh vegetables and Angus beef or whatever on the "adult" meal they only sell for a few bucks more.

Anyone remember the old Rock Ola chain?

Sure do. Couple years ago, was in Atlanta & went to Reuben's deli for lunch. The owner/manager saw our wake shirts & asked if we were from Winston. Told him we were and he said he used to own the rock ola in Winston.

I stole one of the Rock-Ola door mats from the one on Stratford. Still at my parents house in the basement.
Asshole. You stole a floor mat and now they're out of business. If you'd only bought a kid's grilled cheese instead we could still be enjoying Rock 'Ola.

The kick back jacks in gso is trying to be a breastaurant but they don't seem able to find enough quality talent. Sad.

I don't know. I only go there occasionally but there is usually some decent talent. Usually 1/3 is really good talent and the rest is meh. I think they bus them in from Reidsville. Wonder how that job interview goes?

Went to Zito's tonight. It was really good. Not as good as Athena, but poutine.

I guess Oscars closed last week. Most of the staff is now at Camel City BBQ Factory which should help get it running better. Same sort of menu and food as Oscars, but the feel is much better at CCBF.

Back