• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Two cheeses the rest of your life (IMPORTANT)

Provolone for pizza and sandwiches.

Smoked Gouda, because it's glorious for Mac n cheese and burgers and general deliciousness.

Sorry gruyere, for somehow not making the cut.

If you have a gouda mac and cheese recipe, please share. I do it with gruyere and sharp cheddar with tomatoes.

A soft, spreadable cheese like a brie but with some stank to it. This is my favorite cheese in the rotation at the moment, but it its pungency might harm its versatility. Stands well on its own, but you can cover most of the sandwiches that way.

Then a legit buratta, which also stands well on its own (duh), yet could be used for all sorts of sandwiches. And one could dry the burrata and use it for pizza.

A harder cheese that melts well would be my third choice, but I'd rather have the two above and forgo mac and cheese, etc.

Dayum this is tough. Manchego is the best stand alone cheese, and I've seen a couple of other good ideas for it on here - thanks folks. Sharp cheddar is prolly the best for all around cooking, versatility and flavor. And I can't think of pizza without mozzarella. And I must be the only big feta fan here. And then the number of things parmesan goes in - how could I do without? Prolly means I could no longer have my favorite pizza slice in the world - Christian's spinach, feta and artichoke over a pesto sauce topped with mozzarella, and I put parmesan on top. This is worse than Sophie's Choice, and I'll have to ponder further.

FWIW, another good stand alone that hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far is Dubliner.

also, i feel like this should be posted here:
giphy.gif

I have to go parm and moz based on what I cook. It would be the least damaging to my recipe repotoire

Provel (St. Louis cheese combination of Swiss, provolone and white cheddar)
Pepper Jack

Last edited:
As much as I love pepper jack for subs/sandwiches, this boils down to either mozzarella for pizza/Italian, cheddar for mac and cheese, or American for grilled cheese. I like its got to be mozzarella and cheddar. Damn, I'd miss a good grilled cheese though.

As much as I love pepper jack for subs/sandwiches, this boils down to either mozzarella for pizza/Italian, cheddar for mac and cheese, or American for grilled cheese. I like its got to be mozzarella and cheddar. Damn, I'd miss a good grilled cheese though.

pro tip: if you can move past the missed nostalgia, there are cheeses out there that are wayyy better for grilled cheese. lately i've been loving havarti.

also, if you pre-whip up some butter and mix a bunch of parm cheese into it, then spread it on the outside of the bread before grilling it, you get an awesmoe parmesan crust on your sammich.

Oh, I thought it was from Cali.

it is. humboldt county. part of the emerald triangle. i was saying there's plenty of local places to get it on the best coast. just being a jerk.

Back