• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC at Wake, Friday 9/13

My favorite WF-UNCheat memory was the "Comeback at Kenan" in 2001. Down 24-0 at the half and James MacPherson and Company brought us all the way back to a 32-21 victory. Got engaged to my future bride after the game to cap off a great day.

How did we cause them to score -3 points after the half?

I was there also. I remember sitting next to Fabian Davis' mom. She was hyped up and super friendly. IIRC, Fabian made a couple of plays during that comeback. All around awesome memory. I think Chris Barclay was a young guy on that team...might be mistaken about that.

Fabian laid out some dude on a block in the 1999 game at Kenan. Still one of the most vicious hits I've seen. I think the guy was out for at least a month. I don't think that game was televised so only saw it live.

I was there also. I remember sitting next to Fabian Davis' mom. She was hyped up and super friendly. IIRC, Fabian made a couple of plays during that comeback. All around awesome memory. I think Chris Barclay was a young guy on that team...might be mistaken about that.

My friends and I were in the process of leaving at the half but decided to sit in some seats near the end zone and watch the start of the third quarter. Fabian Davis quickly scored on an orbit sweep. We stayed. The next WF possession, Davis scored on another orbit play. Glad we stayed.

RIP the orbit. I (still) hope we'll incorporate some jet sweeps/pop passes this season. Don't remember hardly any last year and none the first two games.

RIP the orbit. I (still) hope we'll incorporate some jet sweeps/pop passes this season. Don't remember hardly any last year and none the first two games.

Orbit sweep would make a nice addition to the offense. Thought we might see it with Dortch last year.

Fabian laid out some dude on a block in the 1999 game at Kenan. Still one of the most vicious hits I've seen. I think the guy was out for at least a month. I don't think that game was televised so only saw it live.

That was Quintin Savage. The hit ruptured his kidney and ended his football career. Brutal is too kind of word for that hit. It looked like a train plowed him.

Was it a better hit than Willie Idlette's cut back block in the ACC championship game? That is my favorite memory other than watching Bill Armstrong play for 3 years and knock several people silly.

Yes. He ended a guy.

My favorite WF-UNCheat memory was the "Comeback at Kenan" in 2001. Down 24-0 at the half and James MacPherson and Company brought us all the way back to a 32-21 victory. Got engaged to my future bride after the game to cap off a great day.

Great game! After the game, we went to He's Not Here decked out in Wake gear. It was homecoming. A lot of sad baby blue faces, when they saw us. Even cheating to keep Peppers eligible didn't help them vs the original Beef Boys that day.

Last edited:
That was Quintin Savage. The hit ruptured his kidney and ended his football career. Brutal is too kind of word for that hit. It looked like a train plowed him.

I’ll never forget him almost crawling off the field before collapsing behind the bench. He wasn’t getting taken off.

My friends and I were in the process of leaving at the half but decided to sit in some seats near the end zone and watch the start of the third quarter. Fabian Davis quickly scored on an orbit sweep. We stayed. The next WF possession, Davis scored on another orbit play. Glad we stayed.

You guys have me all in my feels tonight! Jamie Deese ripped out a corner of the end zone and took it back to the locker room . The team stomped on it, just like they had the dreadful Heels. https://godeacs.com/news/1999/11/6/Football_Spoils_UNC_s_Homecoming_With_19_3_Road_Win.aspx?path=football

Great game! After the game, we went to He's Not Here decked out in Wake gear. It was homecoming. A lot of sad baby blue faces, when they saw us. Even cheating to keep Peppers eligible didn't help them vs the original Beef Boys that day.

That shot of Peppers down on one knee during the game winning drive is burned into my memory.

Yeah, we made a mad dash for the gold lot so we could drink beer in my buddy's Tahoe (no beer in the stadium back then). There were tailgate tents whipping across the parking lot. Intense storm.

Tough quick storm for sure. Helped a group of guys corral a freewheeling big tent that almost impaled a few folks.

That shot of Peppers down on one knee during the game winning drive is burned into my memory.

Yeah that was awesome. We had 7-8 O-lineman we rotated in and out and UNC’s D-line was gassed in that 4th quarter.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_786fa4d4-de72-5f1e-a937-ca7afa2b4732.html

This game has traditionally meant more to the Wake fans than Carolina fans. And if the truth were known, the ACC’s decision to stop scheduling them every season is barely felt in Chapel Hill.

Great article that describes this "rivalry" correctly. It has always been super important to Wake Forest fans and to ACC football historically. We were indoctrinated to hate UNC from the first day on campus. And generally UNC fans never wanted to lose to us, but NEVER considered it a rivalry in the same way they hate NC State, Duke, and UVA. Most of my extended family are lifelong Tarheels and they go out of their way to try not to insult me about the Deacs, but UNC folks don't care about us much. Since we don't get many shots at them anymore we better find a way to win this game.

In football UVa-UNC is a legit rivalry, second-most played matchup in CFB. Similar schools and whatnot. Kinda like Clemson-State

Last edited:
Back