• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Updates to the Joel?

A while ago, someone posted a mockup of a high rise connected to Groves.

Who owns the land between the Joel and campus (Putters, gas station, a pawn shop or something...across the street)...all the way down to campus?

A hodgepodge of local and national owners. It's worth noting that that the POS hotel, the vacant parcel at the corner, and Taqueria all sold since 2016 at non-premium prices.

Coming up with $3 million to buy that awful hotel on 5.5 acres in a fire sale might not have been in the University's master plan, but it's not a bad idea either.

A hodgepodge of local and national owners. It's worth noting that that the POS hotel, the vacant parcel at the corner, and Taqueria all sold since 2016 at non-premium prices.

Coming up with $3 million to buy that awful hotel on 5.5 acres in a fire sale might not have been in the University's master plan, but it's not a bad idea either.

I truly hope that our master plan either completely ruled in or completely ruled out obtaining all that land. Any other offshoot, piecemeal decision would be incredibly shortsighted.

I truly hope that our master plan either completely ruled in or completely ruled out obtaining all that land. Any other offshoot, piecemeal decision would be incredibly shortsighted.

well there's certainly no chance that the Wellman Brain Trust (WBT) would have been shortsighted.

You can always buy the hotel, hire an operator and sell it when you've decided you don't want it. Or tear it all down and have it developed how you would like it to look. They own everything on the opposite side of University from that stretch, except the Courtyard by Marriott. That includes a dinky self storage facility.

If it were up to me - someone who knows nothing about real estate development or construction, I'd plow everything along Baity St and the north side of Deacon Blvd and turn it all into additional parking, build a new smaller arena in the northwest corner of the existing football parking lot (behind the Pepsi building on Reynolds Blvd), tear down the LJVMC for additional football parking, and maybe try to develop the University Parkway frontage.

From the 2009 Master Plan, "East of the campus, but south of Groves Stadium is a commercial district clustered around Deacon Boulevard, University Parkway, and Coliseum Drive. Recently the University has acquired much of the commercial property around Deacon Boulevard and is planning a new, mixed-use development there."

The 2018 update doesn't mention much of athletics/LJVM but says that a key change since the 2009 plan is "renovation of athletics facilities on Reynolda Campus and Coliseum/BB&T Field Area" and only lists improving multi-modal connections between campus and that area as a new goal.

Um, Parkway Ford says hello

The BOT needs to send a strong and clear message (preferably using Brad Wesley's goons) that the university isn't fucking around

roadhouse.gif

what's Iowa's arena like? let's just copy that. hell, the color scheme's almost already there.

Back