• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VMI Game Thread

I agree with the fusion dad

Our current QB1 has an accurate arm, putting balls out there to be caught by our guys

And defense was fine too, needs some discipline on the outside and more aggressive up the middle but fine for week 1

Special teams tho, come on

Our current QB1 has an accurate arm, putting balls out there to be caught by our guys

And defense was fine too, needs some discipline on the outside and more aggressive up the middle but fine for week 1

Bwahahaha. Terrible take. I mean really not even close.

You think special teams was the sore spot? Did you watch the game?

What do y'all who know what you're talking about think of Hazen? IDK much about football, but he looked good.

I agree. But I’m not sure how much of that was him being around the play and a demonstrative celebrator. Seemed to make more plays than any other LB to me though.

What do y'all who know what you're talking about think of Hazen? IDK much about football, but he looked good.

He was really good tonight. I'll see more in film review and PFF's grades help, but I tweeted during the game it felt like his "arrival." He has not looked that good in fall camp.

Of course, everything about this comes with the asterisk of it being an FCS team.

Good News
Hartman looks healthy
Fans and students came out to game
Griffis played well for first game, and looks like he will be a solid QB
Field goal kicking was very good
Loaded at RB and receivers as advertised
Winfield and Hazen look promising
TD off interception called back should not have been a penalty

Bad News
Lots of penalties (my cynical side thinks we will have a lot called on us this year because the ACC does not want us to win).
O Line and D Line minimal penetration
Punt protection and snapping troubling. Fortunate not to have a blocked punt.
No Pressure on QB
Soft coverage
Several batted QB balls
Not many turnover opportunities

Random thoughts
Defense maybe not showing cards for Vandy
Some Offensive penalties might have been because of different cadence of Hartman vs Griffis
Kern and Claiborne playing with third string therefore hard to look good
Pitt/ West Virginia atmosphere might have been the best atmosphere in an ACC games since Miami and FSU when good.
Hopefully have Hartman next week
Wake did not protect the edge
Runs up the middle looked easy for VMI
Passes on the edges looked easy
Vandy/Wake 50 percent chance to win.
D did not play like hair on fire

Griffis TD to Morin #6 on ESPN plays of the day…I know it’s Thursday and I know we’re playing VMI, and I know we’re top 25 and I know ESPN has a vested interest in showing highlights from ACCN, and and and ….BUT I still love to see it. I’m here for it. Mitch Griffis, have yourself a night!

Last edited:
Definitely a lot of things to work on but if there's a game to be sloppy, it's this one. Should get the leaders motivated and I expect a much tighter performance at Vandy.

Decent first game win. Bonehead penalties cost a couple touchdowns and provide Clawson with plenty of talking points in film review and practice.

Deacs gain 506 yards and score 44 points. Mitch Griffis completes 72% of his passes, throws 3 TD's and zero interceptions. Good composure. Trusted his OL and stayed in the pocket. Good pass distribution throwing completions to 10 different receivers. Good first start. Turner, Ellison and Cooley gained 208 yards on 30 carries. They all had their moments. OL had an uneven performance.

The defense gave up 222 yards on 68 plays that yielded 10 points. Only one turnover. VMI was held to less than 10 yards on 9 of 14 possessions and was 4 of 18 on third down. Those numbers will usually win football games.

Solid if uninspiring effort. We get to learn more next week.

Was very impressed with Griffis. Watching him execute the RPO made me appreciate how smoothly Hartman runs it. But he had composure and some excellent passes.

Good News
Hartman looks healthy
Fans and students came out to game
Griffis played well for first game, and looks like he will be a solid QB
Field goal kicking was very good
Loaded at RB and receivers as advertised
Winfield and Hazen look promising
TD off interception called back should not have been a penalty

Bad News
Lots of penalties (my cynical side thinks we will have a lot called on us this year because the ACC does not want us to win).
O Line and D Line minimal penetration
Punt protection and snapping troubling. Fortunate not to have a blocked punt.
No Pressure on QB
Soft coverage
Several batted QB balls
Not many turnover opportunities

Random thoughts
Defense maybe not showing cards for Vandy
Some Offensive penalties might have been because of different cadence of Hartman vs Griffis
Kern and Claiborne playing with third string therefore hard to look good
Pitt/ West Virginia atmosphere might have been the best atmosphere in an ACC games since Miami and FSU when good.
Hopefully have Hartman next week
Wake did not protect the edge
Runs up the middle looked easy for VMI
Passes on the edges looked easy
Vandy/Wake 50 percent chance to win.
D did not play like hair on fire

Not sure on the cadence being an issue, I don’t remember us having false start penalties, holding seemed to be the problem.

Back