• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake +21 @ Clemson - Deacs blow another shot at a Death Valley win

I'm sure there have been plenty of them (getting old and my memory is fading), but I can't think of another recent game that more epitomizes the Wake fan experience. Chance after chance to get a program-elevating win and we find a way to come up short.

Meh - Last year's loss to Clemson and the robbery back in 2004 was 100x worse. Yesterday's game wasn't even close to honorable mention of kick to the nuts losses.

And even if Wake won yesterday as a 20pt dog most (including a vocal majority on this board) would have discounted and downplayed it because "Clemson sucks this year" or something along these lines.

Kern would have won us the game
Reasons to disagree with this:
Clawson, Ruggiero and others on staff think differently. They have watched Kern in multiple practices, scrimmages and exhibition games.

Writers and media who follow and watch Wake football practices, scrimmages and simulated games have the same opinion.

It seems unlikely that 10+ people are simultaneously all wrong in their assessment of the Wake QB situation.

The big question is how all of these missed so badly on their evaluation of how well Mitch Griffis would perform in live games.

That said, I am of the opinion that Mitch was pretty beat up this game and could use a week off to heal up and the backup has to start.

What are the chances Kern is better in live games than he is in practice? Without the opportunity, no one will ever know. Give him the reins and see how it goes. If things go the way "those in the know" think it will, then you give the Dennis Green speech.

If the QB is not resolved and/or Clawson digs in deeper with Griffis a bigger concern may be some very good offensive players saying.to hell with it and move on. Five years ago this wasn't a big deal. Now it is.

Next 2 games are key to achieving a bowl-eligible season and to get some positive vibes back. Va Tech is definitely beatable and Pitt has looked horrendous. So much so, they demoted Jurkovec and he’s now a TE. Go 1-0 this week.

There have been situations before where back up quarterbacks have outperformed the starter

I’ll keep repeating what I’ve said. All of these same people also said that Newman stunk in practice. He certainly didn’t stink when he got on the field.

I also think one thing mentioned above is too often an afterthought. We tend to think of our coaches as up against the world and fighting the good fight for LOWF. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars to win games. At this point, some of our players are also getting paid quite handsomely. Criticism is entirely valid and this situation needs to be fixed immediately.

Btw, Cam is still going on and on about how Griffis was fine yesterday. It makes me feel like I’m insane and we’ve been watching a different team all season.

I’ll keep repeating what I’ve said. All of these same people also said that Newman stunk in practice. He certainly didn’t stink when he got on the field.

I also think one thing mentioned above is too often an afterthought. We tend to think of our coaches as up against the world and fighting the good fight for LOWF. These guys are getting paid millions of dollars to win games. At this point, some of our players are also getting paid quite handsomely. Criticism is entirely valid and this situation needs to be fixed immediately.

Btw, Cam is still going on and on about how Griffis was fine yesterday. It makes me feel like I’m insane and we’ve been watching a different team all season.
Why is anyone listening to Cam? His credibility is NIL.

what Does Griffis do as a QB that is at an average level for a starting P5 QB?
Size- nope
Speed- nope, although he probably could outrun others in a practice 40 yard dash. Game speed is no.
arm strength- nope
arm accuracy- nope
decision making- nope
scrambling ability- nope
elusiveness- nope
break tackles- nope
pocket awareness- nope
game awareness- nope
toughness- yeah, he is tough.
leadership- Yeah, he seems like a leader.

Other factors to consider- his OL sucks and that that does impact a QB in a big way but there are some good QB's out there that produce with terrible offensive lines (Spencer Rattler comes to mind). Morin, Williams, and Banks are all quality WR's that have produced in the past and would likely see playing time at plenty of other P5 schools.

Statistically Griffis was an average P5 QB yesterday. Middle of the road in both QBR and PFF grading. I think he was worse than average personally. I’d say he was about a D+ or a very low C- missing that TD on third and fourth down back to back on the first red zone drive was just awful

He also had a wide open path to the end zone in second half but instead got tackled by the first guy that laid one arm on him. That's 14 points right there in a game we lost by 5.

Statistically Griffis was an average P5 QB yesterday. Middle of the road in both QBR and PFF grading. I think he was worse than average personally. I’d say he was about a D+ or a very low C- missing that TD on third and fourth down back to back on the first red zone drive was just awful
God, I just hope I run into you at the Pitt game.

So I can introduce you to my wife and kids. They’ll be there and we will be having a wonderful time.

I think both things could be true, he could be bad and still be statistically average. There is a lot of bad QB play out there.

What Duke did to Clemson is exactly what this Wake team would have done to Clemson with a competent/good quarterback. Dave is in year 10 or whatever. He should have had a plan.

He even had the bye week, with essentially one chief issue to fix. And I saw almost nothing different in our offensive game plan. Mitch played exactly, exactly, as we all knew he’d play. I actually marvel at Clawson’s hubris.

Back