• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball 2015

What will it take to get back into the NCAA tourney discussion? Sweep both remaining series and put on a good showing in the ACC? Will that be enough?

I stand corrected on Bisplinghoff's last big hit. Crow never tasted so good. I have no idea who will be left to throw in the 2 midweek games but will enjoy this one. Go Deacs.

I would think Pirro, Johnstone, and Craig all would be available for at least a few innings since we have no more games after Wednesday until Friday May 8th (NCSU).

Great point. I didn't realize we had no weekend games. My bad. Go Deacs.

What will it take to get back into the NCAA tourney discussion? Sweep both remaining series and put on a good showing in the ACC? Will that be enough?

I think beating HPU and CC would be just as big considering their RPI is higher than Duke and NCST

I think beating HPU and CC would be just as big considering their RPI is higher than Duke and NCST

I agree with you, particularly about CC.

Good win for our Deacs today to take 2 out of 3 from the Irish. After the other conference games today are completed, I'll try to give the updated ACC standings.

As far as the NCAAT is concerned, I think we need to qualify for the ACCT and then win it (like GT did last year). Imo, 36 wins is the magic number to get in as an at-large, which would require us to win out the regular season and at least 2 ACCT games or some other combination like win all but 1 regular season game left and 3 ACCT games, etc. Either way, we're going to have to get on a hot streak. On paper, it doesn't look good, but that's why you play the games. And of course, the games are played on fields, not paper. GO DEACS!

ACC Baseball Standings as of 4/26/15

1. Louisville 19-2
2. Florida State 16-8
2. Miami 16-8
4. UNC 13-10
5. Clemson 12-11
6. Notre Dame 12-12
7. NC State 11-12
8. Georgia Tech 11-13
8. Wake Forest 11-13
10. Virginia 10-14

11. Boston College 9-14
12. Virginia Tech 9-14
13. Duke 7-16
14. Pittsburgh 6-15

Last edited:
Don't know if this has been posted. But a Wake signee down in Columbia, SC threw a perfect game the other night. He is coming as a SS and has been starting in HS at SS since 8th grade. I believe his hitting is behind his glove which is typical in a young baseball player. Name is Jake Mueller.

Here is a link to article. Doesn't sound like a full-time pitcher based on this article and based on the stats in the article it doesnt sound like the bat is behind his glove at all -- http://www.thestate.com/sports/high-school/article19324287.html

The other key position player recruit in the incoming 2015 class is CF Garrett Whitley from NY. Extremely athletic kid with raw tools. He will be a 2nd-3rd round pick so hope the Deacs can get him on campus.

Wake's 2015 recruiting class according to Perfect Game says there are some very good arms on the way which is obviously top priority. Late addition Jack Schofield out of South Carolina is up to 91-92 this spring and could be a Friday night starter. Several more quality arms also in this class.

Thanks for the info. Next years lineup could be awesome but without the arms the results will be similar to this year. Hope we can get 2 this week vs. HPU. Go Deacs

chances of whitley enrolling are maybe 1%.

if loepprich or kirkpatrick can step up and one of the freshman can contribute pitching should be better.

3-3 going to bottom of 8th.
If we are going to use the bunt so much - we better learn how. Twice now, 0 outs, runners on 1st and 2nd - we bunt. Both times, thrown out at 3rd - and don't score.

down 3-4 going to top of 9th. HPU w/ 3 singles to right after two outs. #$%%$

Virginia Tech swept a 3 game series this weekend against BC on a 2-1 walkoff win in Blacksburg to improve their ACC Baseball record to 12-14. So the conference standings right now are

1. Louisville 21-3
2. Miami 19-8
3. FSU 16-8
4. UNC 13-10
5. Clemson 13-13
5. Notre Dame 12-12
7. NC State 11-12
8. Virginia Tech 12-14
9. Georgia Tech 11-13
9. Wake Forest 11-13

11. Virginia 10-14
12. Boston College 9-17
13. Duke 7-16
14. Pitt 6-18

To finish in the top 6 and avoid the play-in games, the Deacs need to sweep both State and Duke (and might need a little help from whoever plays ND or GT)

To finish at least 10th, they probably need to win at least 3 of the games vs State AND Duke. ( I think some of the other 7th-10th place teams will lose a few)

Anything less than 3 wins in the remaining ACC games could leave the Deacs in 11th (unless GT or UVA collapses) and out of the ACCT.

Of course, no ACCT definitely means no NCAAT. Probably, the only way the Deacs make the NCAAT is to win the ACCT.

Last edited:
Really hard to believe that UVA may be left out of the ACC tourney field. Realize that they lost a lot from last year CWS runner-up team, but that program typically reloads. BTW, UVA plays Duke at home and then 3 at UNC to close the season. UVA will probably get to 14 ACC wins; so, yes, WF may need to win 4 conference games to ensure a spot in the ACCT. If WF misses the ACCT by a game, they are several maddeningly close losses that they can point to.

Last edited:
Wonder why we were agreeable to play a double header Saturday at Louisville when rain was forecasted Sunday? Particularly with our thin pitching.

Wonder why we were agreeable to play a double header Saturday at Louisville when rain was forecasted Sunday? Particularly with our thin pitching.

You probably have no choice in the matter when weather is involved as I would imagine the ACC gets involved in trying to get the games played since the teams and umps are there and there is no more time to reschedule a make up.

Back