• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - Dook Game Thread

You can tell the players respect and play hard for Manning from their effort alone. I mean, who wouldn't? Still, it is a 180 from our aBzmal past.

My only real complaint with Manning last night is that we had Dinos and Devin in at the same time last night against Duke's 4 guard lineup. Duke spread the floor and Matt Jones ended up draining a crucial 3 to put them up 5 with 2:28 to go.

It could have worked if Dinos hit at least one of those open 3s though, unless my timeline is off.

My only real complaint with Manning last night is that we had Dinos and Devin in at the same time last night against Duke's 4 guard lineup. Duke spread the floor and Matt Jones ended up draining a crucial 3 to put them up 5 with 2:28 to go.

Meh. If you go small there Devin's on an island rebounding against Okafor who was dominant on the glass. We survived by putting both our bigs near him and getting tip-outs to our guards. Kind of hard to expect a coach to alter his entire lineup to account for a sub who hadn't scored all night until the 4 minute mark - and his first bucket was inside.

Honestly we need Dinos to be a real stretch 4. He should be able to get out on a guy like Matt Jones and he needs to be a threat from deep. He clanked those two corner threes and it basically shut down his offense for the night. Contrast that with the Richmond game where he came in and hit those 2 big threes late... We needed a little more from him last night - not sure you can put that on Manning.

Meh. If you go small there Devin's on an island rebounding against Okafor who was dominant on the glass. We survived by putting both our bigs near him and getting tip-outs to our guards. Kind of hard to expect a coach to alter his entire lineup to account for a sub who hadn't scored all night until the 4 minute mark - and his first bucket was inside.

Honestly we need Dinos to be a real stretch 4. He should be able to get out on a guy like Matt Jones and he needs to be a threat from deep. He clanked those two corner threes and it basically shut down his offense for the night. Contrast that with the Richmond game where he came in and hit those 2 big threes late... We needed a little more from him last night - not sure you can put that on Manning.

I wouldn't go that far. 11 boards, but he also went over the back and got boxed out by smaller guys. His rebounding success was more a function of his footwork than size, which is a case for how good he will be going forward, using both.

I agree with your larger point though.

Next test - getting the team motivated and focused against mid and lower ACC caliber teams.

I think I would have gone with Leonard or Greg in that situation. I'm not trying to be overly critical. Still a tremendous amount of positives to take from this game. Duke just made 8-18 3's compared to our 2-13. Our staff was able to help us shoot 54% from 2's compared to Duke's 44%, which is damn good. We also won the turnover battle and did a very good job generating fast break points.

Winning the turnover battle against Duke is a major accomplishment. Think about how ofter we were turning it over earlier this year against mediocre teams.

I thought it was interesting when we went Jones/Miller-McIntyre/Wilbekin/Hudson/Thomas for several minutes.

I think I would have gone with Leonard or Greg in that situation. I'm not trying to be overly critical. Still a tremendous amount of positives to take from this game. Duke just made 8-18 3's compared to our 2-13. Our staff was able to help us shoot 54% from 2's compared to Duke's 44%, which is damn good. We also won the turnover battle and did a very good job generating fast break points.

Yeah, maybe I agree... Leonard shot 1/8 though and McClinton looked a little overwhelmed at times, so I can understand Manning looking for a spark like what he got from Dinos in the Richmond game. And if someone's going to beat you I think you go with Matt Jones taking those shots. Just clutch bench play - they have guys like him riding the pine and it's a hell of a luxury.

Townie - Okafor had 11 boards but drew constant doubles and still really kept our bigs off the boards. Devin, Leonard, and Dinos combined for 5 defensive rebounds on the entire night. It was probably around a net +20 rebounding night for him. We are, shockingly, a really good rebounding team this year. Think it's fair to say the one place he really disrupted our game was on the boards.

Next test - getting the team motivated and focused against mid and lower ACC caliber teams.

This. Very interested to see our intensity and focus against Ga Tech and on the road at Syracuse.

It seems like these guys are pissed that they haven't won these last two games. Tack on the NC State game and they know they're 0-3 in a top-heavy ACC. Something tells me they might not come out flat against GT on Sat - quite the opposite in fact.

A Bz-coached team, on the other hand, would absolutely lose by 40 to the Jackets.

Reagan High School.

Personally, I would be happy with Carver's band every sing game. They played the Samford game, and they were fucking awesome.

Carver was great. I still don't get why the cheerleaders have to stay through break, but some band members don't. Rotate them in and out.

I am located down here in Orangeburg, SC. I am a TWC HD subscriber. I checked every possible channel 3 times last night, and failed to find any station carrying our game. Needless to say, I was reminded once again that I am in South Carolina.

I grew up in North Carolina and I am used to the broadcasting of Big Four games being part of the natural universe. Apparently I have moved away from the natural universe. Also, yesterday was my 70th birthday, but I was left to watch Tennessee @ Mississippi State instead of the rapidly improving Deacons against the despised Blue Devils. [I suppose Duke is still doing that little shuffle in the lane that they're famous for not getting called on!]

BTW, none of the stations carried Clemson @ Louisville either.

well yeah you've moved away from the natural universe. you're in orangeburg.

If my timing is right - McClinton had some foul trouble as well. Putting him as the other "big" low with Okafor wouldn't be smart.

Sure, but you don't want Dinos having to guard the perimeter either.

I think this was when Dinos sagged anticipating the double and left Jones wide open.

I am located down here in Orangeburg, SC. I am a TWC HD subscriber. I checked every possible channel 3 times last night, and failed to find any station carrying our game. Needless to say, I was reminded once again that I am in South Carolina.

I grew up in North Carolina and I am used to the broadcasting of Big Four games being part of the natural universe. Apparently I have moved away from the natural universe. Also, yesterday was my 70th birthday, but I was left to watch Tennessee @ Mississippi State instead of the rapidly improving Deacons against the despised Blue Devils. [I suppose Duke is still doing that little shuffle in the lane that they're famous for not getting called on!]

BTW, none of the stations carried Clemson @ Louisville either.

I am up in Spartanburg and the info on Charter was showing WF/Duke but on the screen it was showing Clemson/Ville. So fucking pissed. Also how is it even possible for ESPN3 to black out a game?

Back