• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake @ Duke - 3:30 PM ESPN2/ACCN

this isn’t true, i just watched the play. not sure what his read was but both morin (left) and whiteheart (middle) were open. looked like greene was available too a bit deeper. sam panicked and rolled out to the right (towards @perry). the pocket was getting a bit tight but there was no imminent danger.
True on the 4th down play. Thought Thatguy was referring to the 3rd and 2 play, but I didn’t watch the post game interview with DC.

I disagree, by the time there is separation Sam’s head is down avoiding the rush. How about the jumbo set on the previous third down?

We're thinking about yesterday as a defensive collapse, but the D pretty much did about as good as we could expect them to do in the second half by allowing 2 TDs. The other issue was the one long drive that ended with the interception on 4th down.

The execution may have been bad, but it was a bad call. It was 3rd and 2, you either run the ball or run some kind of rpo. A straight drop makes no sense to me, you can get sacked (which happened), bad throw, dropped ball or interception. Yeah with a run you may not pick it up, but the averages say you will and at least the clock keeps running if you don’t. As long as the ball carrier hangs onto the ball, there aren’t as many bad things that can happen. We lost precious yards on the sack, which made a difference since we were down to our 3rd string punter.
Dropping into a deep shotgun set on 3rd & 1.5 yds has always been stupid. It's just as stupid as a slow developing run into the middle, which every opponent seemed to stop

It has to be coaching when you have nothing to call which will somewhat surprise the D.

Who is the second team all-ACC QB? Riley Leonard, right?

Remember the preseason talk of all the great quarterbacks in the ACC? Every one of those guys that was hyped dropped a big giant 💩 this year.
Wrong. Sam will be second team.

3400 yards with 35 TDS and 11 picks isn’t really a bad year for a QB. His yardage went down but he actually had better yards per attempt this year than last year. Huge drop off in his rushing though.

And how much better would those numbers have been if he had the opportunity to play against the Wake defense??

With how bad the defense was it’s hard to understand that decision on 3rd and 2. Had 2 plays to get 2 yards…

Just inexcusable.

I wanted to run it twice as well to ice the game but the pass play was there on 4th down - Just poor execution on Sam's part.

Plus I can only imagine all of the Monday Morning QB'ing if we ran it again on 4th down but didn't convert...

"Why did that idiot Clawson take the ball out of Sam's hands on 4th down after getting stuffed on 3rd??!111"

His coaching in the last 5 games was indeed fairly idiotic at times. There were times in the latter part of this season where I felt like I did during the Manning basketball years: if you just let Hartman and Smenda run their units, I don't think we could have possibly been worse, and likely would have been better. He got outcoached by Scott Satterfield on a scalding hot seat, Dave Doeren with a true freshman making his 1st start, the ghost of Mack Brown and their 120th ranked defense, and 1st year Mike Elko whose team we beat 45-7 next year. Let that sink in.

I still have confidence he'll bounce back, although next year could be a bit rough.

Sometimes coaches just get straight up outcoached. It also happened in the B1G Noon game on Saturday.

fans like plays that work and don't like plays that don't.

If it was all about “execution,” teams would just practice and run the same four plays from week to week. Obviously playcalling matters.

His coaching in the last 5 games was indeed fairly idiotic at times. There were times in the latter part of this season where I felt like I did during the Manning basketball years: if you just let Hartman and Smenda run their units, I don't think we could have possibly been worse, and likely would have been better. He got outcoached by Scott Satterfield on a scalding hot seat, Dave Doeren with a true freshman making his 1st start, the ghost of Mack Brown and their 120th ranked defense, and 1st year Mike Elko whose team we beat 45-7 next year. Let that sink in.

I still have confidence he'll bounce back, although next year could be a bit rough.

I thought Tony Dungy, who I highly respect and admire, said it extremely well recently. I'm paraphrasing, "Sometimes coaches want to play chess when all they need to do is play checkers." Some of our in-game decisions appear to be way overthought. For example, he stated after the UNC game that he didn't kick the FG to go up by 4 because he thought both teams would be trading touchdowns. HELLO! You go up by 4 and it is a touchdown game. You just forced your opponent to score a TD!!!

Sometimes coaches just get straight up outcoached. It also happened in the B1G Noon game on Saturday.
Clawson and Day actually do have similar tendencies and faults at times. Can be infuriating as a fan of both.

I honestly can’t recall any come-from-behind, last minute, game winning drives from Hartman in his career. Surely there had to be one somewhere along the way? I know he had lots of opportunities this season to continually come up empty.
1st game, Tulane?

I just don’t get why all of our upper class men regressed or didn’t improve (minus the receivers). Sam was way worse. His decision making is baffling. The OL got really bad. The D still blows. It makes no sense.
He stopped taking the option to run. "Why" needs to be asked of Clawson.

One other huge issue I had with this game is how entirely unphysical our secondary played. It appears most of them are scared of contact and unwilling to make an actual tackle. On one of the touchdowns, the "effort" made to slightly push the receiver in hopes that he would just fall down were embarrassing. Perhaps football is the wrong sport for them.

Back